PDA

View Full Version : Confused and Need Advice

garywoodrow
3rd Jan 2007, 04:21
Hi, well here's my situation. I'm currently in my first year at college studying A-Level Maths and ICT Double. I never did well in my GCSE's, 8 in total (1A, 1B, 5C's + 1D :ugh:). I'm predicted to get at A-Level, 2 'A' grades at ICT, 1 'C' at General Studies and a 'D' at maths :bored:. I've wanted to be a airline pilot since a young age (My mum says i was about 3 :rolleyes:) and i will do just about anything to achieve it, i want it so much, but only really started to look into it about 1 year ago, I've spent hours searching online and asking people how to go about it but I have just confused myself :confused:. I really do not know what to do, where to go after college...

I have thought about the CTC program with EasyJet but I do not think my grades are good enough to get selected. I have also thought about the RAF but i have been told it is even more competitive there and my GCSE grades are not good enough again.

What would be a good place to start? Should I stay for another year at college and try to get better GCSE's? I'm just looking for some advice, what would you do in this situation.

LJones
3rd Jan 2007, 04:37
Im also in the same boat, I did really bad in high school but im still not going to give up my dream.

I got a C for Applicable maths (high maths)
I just missed out on a C for Physics
B for information systems,
B for english
B for small business

So i still passed everything except physics. I am planning to go to WA Aviation College when i get the money as they go by an exam which they set and as long as yoiu have your high school cert. you are eligible to enter.

Be like me and never give up, hopefully people will see how determined we actuall are.

L Jones

garywoodrow
3rd Jan 2007, 04:45
Has WA Aviation College got a website I can take a look at? thanks for the advice also, its greatly appreciated. :ok:

scroggs
3rd Jan 2007, 07:19
Need advice? Start by reading the Archive Reference Threads - READ BEFORE YOU POST A QUESTION (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=131649) thread.

Scroggs

Megaton
3rd Jan 2007, 07:23
If you want to be an airline pilot don't even consider joining the RAF first. Entrance is highly competitive and they will see through anyone who is not 100% committed straight away. Even if you were to succeed at interview, the training is arduous, both physically and mentally so if you're only doing it as a means to an end you will almost certainly not have the determination to finish.

Dan 98
3rd Jan 2007, 08:02
garywoodrow,
I really would not be too hard on yourself regarding your current qualifications or what you hope to achieve from your A-Levels in the future.

You already have more GCSE's than me and a lot of pilots who are flying as I write this.
Of course the more qualifications you get the more choices will be available to you with regards to getting sponsorship / CTC etc.. I believe your current GCSE's are good enough for CTC.
Just bare in mind having an A-Level in Maths / Physics is not essential to becoming an airline pilot. At 17 you have bags of time available to you.
All the best

Dan.