PDA

View Full Version : Union Membership

Mick Strigg
2nd Jan 2007, 19:17
As a brand new CC, is it worthwhile joining a Trade Union?

Why?

If so, which one?

What are the benefits of membership?

Getoutofmygalley
2nd Jan 2007, 20:24
Yes

Because one voice saying "oi I don't like things like this" will be ignored, but hundreds of voices saying the same thing can be heard. Ever heard of the phrase "strength in numbers"?

A union can bargain for improved T&C's for all of it's members (including pay rises). Union staff can help represent you if the unfortunate situation arises where you end up on a disciplinary (which in some airlines can happen for something as simple as excessive sick leave).

I personally am with the Transport & General Workers union, but you also have Cabin Crew 89. Airlines such as BA have their own staff association called BASSA.

Before joining a union you need to find out which ones (if any i.e. Ryanair) are recognised by your employer. YOU need to weigh up the differences between the ones that are recognised to work out which will be best for you. Take into account your monthly subs, the level of representation at your base (i.e. how may union reps there are), what their success rate is with negotiating with management as well as what the percentage share of crew is with each union.