PDA

View Full Version : Student Pilot needs advice please.

Night-Hawk
2nd Jan 2007, 18:38
Hi,

I'm requesting some advice from you guys as to what I should do to become an airliner. I'm a 19 year old canadian still living in canada. I completed high school a year ago and have been taking the last year off to decide what I really wanted to do. After looking at every possibilities College and University offered, I decided I would not spend the rest of my days doing an office job.

Last september I went to a small flying school (they have a "fleet" of two aircrafts, a 152 and 172) and decided I'd do my private license with them. I really like it and so far it's going very well. As of now, I have about 15 hours of flight time on their 152 and have done my first solo after 11 hours. I live at my parent's house, I work 38 hours a week in a grocery store at a very cheap wage for the sole purpose of paying my flight hours. So far, I've been able to pay everything without borrowing. I now know for sure being a pilot is what I want. I intend to finish my private pilot license with the small local shcool by the end of spring. Now I'm wondering, what should I do next. Should I apply to a college and start a 3 years commercial pilot program in september 2007 ? Or should I go straight to it, borrow 40 000CND and get my commercial and multi-IFR rating at a private school and do it in less than a year ? I heard college is nice, but my concern is that I'll be out of there at 24. Aslo, I'm not very interested in doing all the generic courses (english/french/philosophy) that you have to complete in order to get your diploma. Is it worth it ?

I'm not sure what to do, is it worth doing a 3 years college program and get to work at 24. Or going private and have my licences at 20.

Advices ? Suggestions ?

Thanks for your time.:)

MIKECR
2nd Jan 2007, 21:08
If you want to become an "airliner" then you might have problems. An airline pilot might be a better option for you.

TheOne83
2nd Jan 2007, 21:28
Hi Night-Hawk!

Your case is in a way similar to mine but of course with it's differences.
I started my PPL license a few years ago and at the same time working to pay my license and today i'm a PPL holder with around 65hours flying time. In february i'm going to start my ATPL course and i'm 23 to turn 24 in march, and you where worried about your age.. My friend.. we both still so young yet, i have meet people with 33 years that started the ATPL course leaving a house with kids, wife and work behind them to go for an ATPL :) That day i meet this guy my point of view changed completlly and realise my self that i was still a kid compare to some people.
From my point of view i recommed you to get your PPL done and the night raiting and build some hours. That is the best you can do right know... then when you join a school make sure you can get credit for your experience.
But be careful, i believe there is a max of hours before you join an ATPL integrated or modular, if so 150 hours requiered to join via modular course witch will be the cheaper option for you or an integrated, more expensive but more complete.

Know when it comes to your college it's a personal decision, but i my self moved from one country to another before i was done with it and because of the language i had to start all over again from first course.
So i lost some years..

Everything that you learn each day is a plus, specially if you go for thoose 3 year education, because don't forget that a comercial pilot license is not just about flying.. you have air law, aerodynamics, human perfomance..everything extra that you learn in that college will be a plus for later;)

If you are so frustated that you want to start right know do so, enjoy and good luck!

Cheers;

/niko

Mohit_C
2nd Jan 2007, 21:35
I'm in very much the same situation as you guys. The only thing that attracts me for the past year is that to be a pilot. Going to spanish university here at Málaga in Spain won't be hard but very very very difficult and on top of that I really have no idea what career other than being an airline pilot interest me. I like physics and maths a little but I can't find a career that will be what I want. That's why I'm choosing this career and I believe it will be the one that will pay me in the future.

TheOne83
2nd Jan 2007, 21:49
Hola!!

Go for it!! Aerodynamics Malaga has a good school i have heard. How long time u have left on university??

Hasta la vista malagueño ;)

config-2
2nd Jan 2007, 22:29
Hi,
I am deviating from the subject a little here but didn't want to start a brand new thread. I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of where on here to find information about whether or not airlines have a preference on what school you train at for the CPL/ME/IR, or whether as long as it's a JAA licence you hold they don't mind? I am almost certain it has been covered but just cannot seem to locate it via the search function.
Thank you so much for your help. My apologies for being useless :(

TheOne83
2nd Jan 2007, 23:00
Hahaha, don't worry man, this are forums, we can discuss anything that we want to discuss if it's in the right section of the forums. :) So welcome in!

Regarding your post comments... there is allways better places than others..and so happens with FTO's "flight training organitzations." there is allways some better places than others.. but as long you have your valid licenses and the requierements that an airline is looking for i don't see a problem with it. I think that the person it self plays a very big role at the time of choosing you as a pilot for an airline and of course if they have any tests to pass (like sim check etc) thoose also will make a role in your final results, wether they get you or not.

Good luck! ;)

ABX
2nd Jan 2007, 23:07
Night-Hawk,

I am 37 and trying to start my CPL this year, on these forums I have seen a 44 year old who is also starting this year. You are still young so I personally would recommend a degree course at university because it will give you a slight edge in a competitive environment, particularly when you start applying to airlines.

I am doing a one year diploma course because at my age I have to get on with my hour building quickly or it will be too late for me to make much of a career in flying.

However, if you have the ability to transform into an airliner i don't think you have much to worry about!:E Hehehe.:}

Good luck in whatever you choose to do Mate.

Cheers ey,

ABX

ABX
2nd Jan 2007, 23:18
I agree with TheOne83.

However, you should improve your research skills a little and find out as much as you can about FTOs that interest you. After you have searched google, asked local pilots, read brochures from the FTOs, interviewed the instructors at the same FTOs - yes, I mean you interviewing them, you are after all going to commit a huge sum of money to them and a great deal of your time - and spend a long time reading posts here on PPRuNe, then make a decision on a school based on your research and go for it. Get your training done and get out and sell yourself.:ok:

If your training is as standard as anyone else - CPL/MECIR/ATPL - then more emphasis will be placed on your presentation and experience than on your FTO.

Good luck, I hope you are successful in your endeavours.

ABX

Haren
3rd Jan 2007, 01:00
Mate...make sure you are right medically. Go to a small flying school where you can get individual attention. Get your theory done ASAP. Saves you money and you will have a trouble free time learning to fly.

Theory can be done at home. If you have good results from school then almost any aviation book is understandable and results are acheivable.

Good Luck.:ok:

Night-Hawk
3rd Jan 2007, 04:50
There are two colleges I am interested in right now. Sault College, located in Sault St-Marie, Ontario and CQFA (Centre Quebecois Formation Aéronautique) in Quebec. Anyone heard anything about these ? I know they have very steep requirements so I'm still keeping "Plan B". (Plan B being completing my CPL in a private shcool).

Thanks guys for your input, very appreciated.

ABX
3rd Jan 2007, 05:10
Why go to one that has such requirements? Any reputable college will do. From what I have found in my research, most of the learning will be done after graduation anyway, your degree will only give you a good start.:ok:

I am sick of colleges pumping up their own egos in such a manner, :yuk: when I was researching a certain university in MEL the head of faculty was very keen on telling me about their 'requirements', after quite some time I had cooled off that course and the guy was ringing me asking me if I was still considering them!

In the end (as stated above) I opted for a local diploma course.:8

ABX

scroggs
3rd Jan 2007, 07:18
Need advice? Start by reading the Archive Reference Threads - READ BEFORE YOU POST A QUESTION (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=131649) thread.

Scroggs

config-2
4th Jan 2007, 10:30
Hi,
Thank you for your replies. The advice you offered has been taken on board. All the best to everyone currently undergoing training.