PDA

View Full Version : Air Law exam on Saturday

PompeyPaul
2nd Jan 2007, 12:16
I've read Jeremy Pratts PPL 1 book on air law (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Private-Pilots-Licence-Course-Communications/dp/1874783136/sr=8-1/qid=1167743724/ref=pd_ka_1/026-8340954-5791657?ie=UTF8&s=books) and am taking the exam on Saturday. I've just had a panic though because I've only read Law* and none of the Comm* stuff (I thought that would be a seperate exam).

Do I need to quickly get through the comm* section or is the exam just the law* stuff ? I'm very worried that I've only read 80% of the literature.

BTW I am flying from the UK.

tiggermoth
2nd Jan 2007, 12:23
Paul,

No don't worry - you don't need the Communications section of the book for the Air Law exam.

T.

PS Good luck on Saturday.

Merritt
2nd Jan 2007, 15:48
Not entirely true - there is some crossover between the two sections. For example, there were questions on LARS and DAAIS/DACS in my air law exam. There was also a requirement to at least know what the circuit looked like and what distances final / long final etc would be defined as.

I would at least read and understand the comms section before doing the exam.

Better still - sign up to www.airquiz.com and do some of the exam questions.

Steve

gcolyer
2nd Jan 2007, 15:56
You should not have to read the Comms section of that book. I used the Pratt books for my PPL. I also used www.airquiz.com (http://www.airquiz.com)

It wont hurt to start reading the comms section in the mean time.

ST-EX
2nd Jan 2007, 18:48
Don't worry about the air law exam-I read the Jeremy Pratt air law section(not the comms)and passed without any problems.
I would recommend you get the PPL Confuser book as it tests the knowledge you have read. It's very easy to just read something and not properly absorb it-especially with something incredibly dull(although vital) like air law. The Confuser is just like the exams themselves and is great preparation.
Good luck!:ok:

Gertrude the Wombat
2nd Jan 2007, 19:09
The trick to keeping your examiner and instructor happy in the air law exam is to get the right answer to questions that actually matter, like, say, rights of way - nobody cares if you can't remember the date of the Chicago Convention.

Merritt
2nd Jan 2007, 19:32
The trick to keeping your examiner and instructor happy in the air law exam is to get the right answer to questions that actually matter, like, say, rights of way - nobody cares if you can't remember the date of the Chicago Convention.

Thats great if you still get over the 75% mark but won't help if you miss it - you'll still be failed!

Im sure you will be fine but since you are going to have to learn comms at some point anyway, why not give it a read through before the weekend?

Steve

Gertrude the Wombat
2nd Jan 2007, 19:49
Thats great if you still get over the 75% mark but won't help if you miss it - you'll still be failed!
Sure. But I got through one of my finals exams that way - I knew perfectly well that I was useless at one part of the syllabus, so made sure I knew enough to get full marks on the bits that I could cope with!

Merritt
3rd Jan 2007, 07:21
I knew perfectly well that I was useless at one part of the syllabus, so made sure I knew enough to get full marks on the bits that I could cope with!

Ordinarily I would agree with you - indeed thats how I have tackled most exams I have sat. I do think its a tad dangerous when it comes to Air Law though because you're guaranteed to need to know the bit you didn't bother with just at the wrong time!

Steve

PompeyPaul
4th Jan 2007, 12:56
Ground Symbols:

"T" - Take-off and landing in the direction of the shaft of the T

Erm, is that the "horizontal" shaft, or the "vertical" shaft ?

Merritt
4th Jan 2007, 12:59
Lol - vertical shaft!

Steve

EvilKitty
4th Jan 2007, 13:01
And is that towards the crossbar or away?

Captain Smithy
4th Jan 2007, 13:09
Good luck with the exam, PompeyPaul. Let us know how you do. Best of luck!

Merritt
4th Jan 2007, 13:13
And is that towards the crossbar or away?

Towards....

This doc may also be helpful (see page 64)

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP637.PDF

Steve

EvilKitty
4th Jan 2007, 13:34
Towards....

Thankfully I managed to pass AirLaw without being asked for that particular fact, but it's one I have always been concerned about as in my mind a T points away from the crossbar (so T is pointing down in this case), and would I if confronted with a non-radio field (without a radio) remember that its towards the crossbar...

The way I try to remember is that it mimicks the approach lights coming up to the threshold.

tiggermoth
4th Jan 2007, 18:21
The way I try to remember is that it mimicks the approach lights coming up to the threshold.

The T looks like a landing aeroplane?

EvilKitty
4th Jan 2007, 20:03
The T looks like a landing aeroplane?

Only when I forget my glasses :}

tiggermoth
4th Jan 2007, 21:29
When you look at a light aircraft from above it looks a bit like a Tee. The Tee on the ground in a way depicts the direction a landing/taking off aeroplane on the ground. (Does that read right, I'm not sure!)

kevmusic
4th Jan 2007, 23:28
The Tee on the ground in a way depicts the direction a landing/taking off aeroplane on the ground.

Well said, Mr. Prescott!! :p

tiggermoth
4th Jan 2007, 23:47
Well thank you Mr Blair. :)

PompeyPaul
5th Jan 2007, 12:54
I understand the differences between QFE & QNH but I don't understand how you convert heights between the two pressure scales, like this question:

Your aerodrome elevation is 24 ft, and the QFE you have just been given is 1021 millibars. What would you expect the aerodrome QNH to be?
A 1015 millibars
B 1020 millibars
C 1022 millibars
D 1027 millibars

There must be some mapping between the 2, but I just don't get it. Somehow I have to work out what the pressure difference is across 24ft and add it to 1021. Anyone ?

PompeyPaul
5th Jan 2007, 12:59
I understand the differences between QFE & QNH. I don't understand how you map one to the other though, i.e.

Your aerodrome elevation is 24 ft, and the QFE you have just been given is 1021 millibars. What would you expect the aerodrome QNH to be?
A 1015 millibars
B 1020 millibars
C 1022 millibars
D 1027 millibars

Obviously I need to work out the pressure difference 24ft makes and add it to 1021 to get the result. Is there some constant mapping per foot of pressure ? Anyone ?

Thanks

Merritt
5th Jan 2007, 13:12
You will be pleased to know its very easy.

Pressure drops as you get higher by approx 1mb per 30ft

so if your QNH is 1000mb (at MSL), your QFE at 30ft would be 999mb....

HTH

Steve

PompeyPaul
7th Jan 2007, 09:04
I PASSED!!!!

Ouch my head hurts today.

tiggermoth
7th Jan 2007, 17:24
Paul,

Well done !

BigAl's
7th Jan 2007, 21:14
I understand the differences between QFE & QNH. I don't understand how you map one to the other though, i.e.

A 1015 millibars
B 1020 millibars
C 1022 millibars
D 1027 millibars

Obviously I need to work out the pressure difference 24ft makes and add it to 1021 to get the result. Is there some constant mapping per foot of pressure ? Anyone ?

Thanks

So in this instance the answer is C.. 1022. As has been said, pressure drops with altitude gained. Given that 1mb = 30ft, QFE at MSL (and hebce QNH) would be 1022, (24ft lower giving an increase of approx 1mb).

I'm pretty sure that's right!:bored:.. I hope. It is past my bed time!:rolleyes: :zzz:

Well done on the exam pass!!

Nil Flaps
8th Jan 2007, 01:10
On yer Paulie!

Captain Smithy
8th Jan 2007, 07:56
Well done Paul! Great to hear you did it.:D :D :D