PDA

View Full Version : Debating wheter weather is important

md_eleven
2nd Jan 2007, 09:35
Sorry about the name of the thread...couldn't think of anything clever :\

I am going to do my ATPL this year and have narrowed my choices down to two schools in the US. They are very similar in price and what they offer, but there is one thing that I am not so sure about: Location!

I am aware that as a student I am not going to have the time to do sightseeing but what is important for me is weather.

I am probably one of those few that has done all his flying in good weather. Always nice and warm, always good visibility sometimes a bit of a crosswind but nothing to worry about. I guess as a student I should be happy as these are perfect conditions to learn, but I have a feeling I am missing out on some vital experiences. So, the question I would like to ask is: Shell I go down south where the sun is always shining and I will have nice weather or shell I go north where there will be snow and ice and I will learn to deal with fog and cold temperatures?

Personally I feel the second choice would make me a better pilot, but then maybe it would be better to get my wings first before trying to get experience in bad weather. I am not so sure. Any experienced pilot out there who would like to give me his or her opinion regarding this?

Thanks a lot and happy new year! :D

stefan

redsnail
2nd Jan 2007, 10:39
The initial part of the training should be done in good weather. It allows consistency in training with no huge gaps. This is for the handling part of the PPL. (eg stalls, steep turns, circuit work etc).

For the cross country bits, you want a mix of weather conditions so you learn to interpret the met reports and apply sound decision making to your flights.

Oxeagle
2nd Jan 2007, 16:32
redsnail,

I agree with you to some extent - initial training upto and including circuit work in good weather, then introduce some adverse weather conditions, crosswinds etc before first solo.

As for the later stages of training, well I originally reasoned that completing my PPL in the UK was the best option as the weather conditions would make me a better pilot for it, else I would have b*ggered off to the US a long time ago.

However, since having all but 1 of my last 7 flying lessons cancelled, I truly regret that decision - isn't hindsight a wonderful thing? :ugh: :{

Go to the states, get your PPL out the way then do a 5 or so hours with an instructor in adverse weather conditions - that's what I would do if I had a second chance!

Happy New Year to you chaps too :ok:

TheOne83
2nd Jan 2007, 17:36
Hi there!

I took my PPL here in Sweden and i must say that beeing able to fly in all seasons has been woderful..with instructor and with out :) I have learned to fly in a 600m long grass strip, with snow, cross winds, variable winds, some rain showers, cold, warm.. I enjoyed like a kid in a house full of candy! :p
Of course, during the PPL i visited what you can call real
airports, with asphalt runways etc. and i did that during solo cross country and during normal flying with my instructor.

When it comes to stalls and that kind of things as the other forum members said, allways nice weather to avoid any sorprise.

The decision is up to you, we can only say what we had as an experience ;) What ever you choose you will have to finish the course anyhow, so..

Good luck with everything and enjoy it!

/niko

davey147
2nd Jan 2007, 21:21
Like many people I took my PPL in Florida.

People expect Florida weather to be perfect (exept for the hurricaines) but as the land there is flat, there arnt many times you land without a crosswind. Usually the airfields near the cost have a stronger crosswind.

My instructor in the UK told me that most students when they return from Florida are excellent at crosswind landings and vise versa, the students that have trained in the UK find it difficult landing in strong crosswinds (People tend to fly in more severe conditions in the USA than UK)

The runways in the USA are BIG and you wont get much experience at grass strip landings, if any (I got none). But expecting it to be a problem on my return it wasnt, I managed to land first time at Netherthorpe (Worksop) which is apparently Europes shortest runway (thats what they tell me, dont know if its true).

The main problem is the radio, the Americans just use it the way they want. I found it very difficult to use back in the UK, with all the professional talk. But its ok now.

I read in many places that people think pilots trained in the USA arnt as good as those trained in the UK, from my experience the ex RAF pilots dont like to see people training there. My UK instructor, who is ex-RAF was supprised on my return on how well trained I was and said I was better than most UK trained PPL holders, excluding my radio skills. But I disagree I think they are equal, if not the USA FAA system is better, they teach you what you need, and test you properly using the oral exam, which really tests whether you've learnt your stuff.

I was originally like you I started my training in the UK, but after 6 months of booking flights every weekend and only getting 8 hours of training (they cancel the flights for the slightist of bad weather here). I decided to go to the USA, I completed everything in 3 weeks, flying 6 days a week. Its also really fun too, my advise is to get the 7 exams done before you go, I didnt but wish I had, that way I could have had a little more fun time!

Hope this helps, Happy new year.

md_eleven
3rd Jan 2007, 14:38
Thanks for the replies guys. I think I will have a look at a flying school with different weather conditions at different times of the year, so maybe I get to fly in snow as well.

I would expect that the instructors take experience into consideration when deciding wheter to fly or not. I hope I won't stay grounded for ages due to bad weather, although given the amount I have to learn for the ATPL exam maybe that would actually not such a bad thing :-)

Stefan