PDA

View Full Version : Fancy the Chinese Having all your Service details?

mbga9pgf
1st Jan 2007, 23:48
:mad: :mad: :mad:
This for me, is a disgrace....Looks as EDS (JPA) are exporting 60% of their telecom helpdesks abroad...
Check it out
Telegraph article... (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2007/01/01/cnit01.xml)
Some Excerpts...
Bill Thomas, the head of EDS's European, African and Middle East units, said he expected a dramatic change in public sector IT personnel as former civil servants employed by private sector groups faced the prospect of losing their jobs to so-called offshoring.
The news will cause extreme concerns for union leaders, who have already threatened strike action if employers, such as the US giant EDS, start to lay off staff.
Mr Thomas said 60pc to 70pc of the 8,000 EDS employees working on Government contracts – which include major projects for the Ministry of Defence and the Department for Work and Pensions – did not need to be employed in Britain.
So where does that leave us bearing in mind some overseas countries perhaps are not too friendly to our foreign policy?
I certainly wouldnt want certain nations to know how much time away I am doing (op allce), my NOK details, my home address, my unit, where I am going on leave, mobile details etc...anyone else feel the same?

RobinXe
2nd Jan 2007, 00:02
Very good point!

I'm unhappy enough about them having my bank details!

Always_broken_in_wilts
2nd Jan 2007, 00:06
As you are probably, like me a very small "cog"........... and most of the info you quote is in the "net" domain via car loan/mortgage/phone bill/credit etc etc applications I for one am not overly worried dude:rolleyes:

Load Toad
2nd Jan 2007, 00:31
Why specifically are you bothered about the Chinese having your details? Or are you bothered about anybody having your details?

Anyway I'd say that the details of British service people should only be known by British citizens working under some degree of confidentiality yes?

allan907
2nd Jan 2007, 04:46
I remember a security briefing at Wittering some many years ago. The briefing started with a tape recording of a Russian voice on intercomm. Having played the piece the presenter then gave us the life story about this particular Russian airman; where he lived, how many kids he'd got, what ailed them, what the problems were with the married quarter and the marriage etc etc etc. It was all the result of piecing together tiny snippets of information to be used as and when the occasion demanded. No doubt they were doing the same thing to us.

However, the job of piecing together this information wasn't particularly easy.

It would seem that nowadays MOD is willing to give any potential enemy the whole shooting match for nothing!

Be wary. It WILL come back and bite you on the bum someday!

FOMere2eternity
2nd Jan 2007, 07:15
Might only be a problem in 15-20yrs when the Asian Coalition, led by China, is off the coast threatening to invade unless we allow a UN (ie. Chinese puppet :( ) inspection team to monitor the WMD we haven't been able to afford for the last 10yrs anyway!

But don't worry too much - might get you a job with the new security forces, needed once they realise they made a big mistake when they decapitated our dictatorial regime...

airborne_artist
2nd Jan 2007, 08:21
I'm fairly sure the Russians have mine. It was routine for them to copy all ID cards and take photos of all those going through Checkpoint Charlie.

I went through wearing Sgt's stripes and an RE beret. Bet it didn't fool them on either count ....:}

threepointonefour
2nd Jan 2007, 08:33
:mad: :mad: :mad:
This for me, is a disgrace....Looks as EDS (JPA) are exporting 60% of their telecom helpdesks abroad...

Not even our leaders are that stupid. :hmm:

As an aside, I wonder if TB has to use JPA? Surely John Prescott is never off the system ?!?

A2QFI
2nd Jan 2007, 08:50
That is why we are wasting time, effort, money and lives in the 2 sandpits!

threepointonefour
2nd Jan 2007, 08:53
As 'Borat' would say ... "NOOTTT"

(I was leaving a short time before ending my 'not' joke!)

L J R
2nd Jan 2007, 09:07
Although the 'sharing' of details is disappointing, try and GOOGLE yourself and see what the internet already knows about you. It might surprise you.

Take a leaf out of 007's book, and try and smile as they crush that left boll*ck during that interrogation.

PICKS135
2nd Jan 2007, 14:38
Forget google. sign up with these lads for a year for free
https://www.garlik.com/index.php
[I'm not connected to them in anyway]. Prepare to be amazed at the stuff they find out. I'd forgotten about a HP agreement with Tiny computers from 2000:uhoh: :uhoh:

extpwron
2nd Jan 2007, 15:39
The trouble with a Chinese call centre is that there will be so many employees called Wing and Wong you could end up winging the wong number.

airborne_artist
2nd Jan 2007, 17:07
The trouble with a Chinese call centre is that there will be so many employees called Wing and Wong you could end up winging the wong number.

And when they call you back they'll say "you wang" and you'll no I'm Sqn Ldr Bloggs, are you Wang?"

Green Flash
2nd Jan 2007, 17:31
Well, the Kuwati's have all my details! They copied our driving Licences and 1250's whilst processing base passes for AAS.:uhoh:

Melchett01
2nd Jan 2007, 22:12
I see the numbers being offshored growing. I hope so, because as a taxpayer I want efficient Government services

When I finally stopped laughing, I got a little further down the article:

The thing that's inviolate is security. You can't have personal details of the Special Air Service floating around outside the UK

Quite right too - would scupper all those book deals before they're even signed!

I have to say that whilst I am all for financial responsibility, it is not at any price - which seems to get to the nub of the problem as all this "administration" appears to understand is the bottom line. And seeing as how the govt has cravenly bowed down to all and sundry at the expense of the national interest, I can't see this being any different. I wonder how the politicians would feel if all their personal details suddenly appeared in foreign hands ... I bet that cost wouldn't be an issue then.

And by the way - I did google my details - apparently I have found time to be a boxer, a managing director and won a mercury music prize recently. Not bad going really .... and I'd rather like my relative obscurity to stay that way thank you very much.