PDA

View Full Version : Oxygen masks

Navigator2006
1st Jan 2007, 12:43
hi all

once again my querey is on oxygen masks i do apologise.
I recently purchased a Oxygen mask which is a Q mask i was just wondering on the mask i think just above where the nozzle would be there is (MASK-Q1) does this refer to it being a q type mask and if so does this meen the P type mask has it in the same place?

many thanks

Nav

Pontius Navigator
1st Jan 2007, 20:22
ratty, it takes all sorts. In some circles the old H mask was prefered but I understand the S10 or, for the more extreme, the AR5 is much sought after. Similarly I have heard that the early Mk 1 NBC suits with their exposed charcoal were a f***** item.

G-trousers and pressure jerkins are more difficult to come by as well. To think we got trussed in this kit for work ;)

Solid Rust Twotter
2nd Jan 2007, 05:49
Gimp mask for walt submissives?

Navigator2006
3rd Jan 2007, 13:03
thanks for your replys i bought it for display use only nothing more nothing less and it has a in brackets (mask-q1) and i was just wondering if this meant that it was a q type oxygen mask

and if so would the p type oxygen mask have it on there aswell

many thanks

Nathan

Wader2
3rd Jan 2007, 13:18
thanks for your replys i bought it for display use only nothing more nothing less and it has a in brackets (mask-q1) and i was just wondering if this meant that it was a q type oxygen mask

and if so would the p type oxygen mask have it on there aswell

many thanks

Nathan

Short answer, yes.

All mask shells were black. The P shell was bigger than the Q shell. Depending on its intended use, the fitments between each mark, 1, 2 etc would be different.

Early rubber was also black with early med (medical) masks being in a variety of colours, one I recall being in a yellowish latex.

Later med masks were then in a standard green.

PS, thanks for a diverting thread.:ok:

L J R
3rd Jan 2007, 17:16
I have some worn thermals that look good with the Gimp mask.

Navigator2006
7th Jan 2007, 12:02
wader2 and everyone else many thanks for your replys i now understand sorry if it was a stupid topic but i just wondered thats all lol

many thanks and sorry for the bother

Nathan

Navigator2006
7th Jan 2007, 12:56
Hi all

i was also told that the P AND Q meant on the mask that they were mask sizes can any current military aircrewman just confirm that this is true many thanks

Nathan

Pontius Navigator
7th Jan 2007, 14:01
nathan, keep this up and you really will piss people off big time. FFS read the first thread you started on the same topic and Wader's post above. If you can't work out the answer from that I suggest you pack your computer up and take it back for a refund.

Stitchbitch
7th Jan 2007, 18:08
P big
Q small

is it a Q L/C a regular Q or a Q S/C ?
I wouldn't put it up to your face though....as it may have been 'cleaned' specially for it's last user.:}

Zoom
7th Jan 2007, 21:27
Just to make sure that I am following this debate, can you run it by me one more time?

:bored:

Dan Winterland
8th Jan 2007, 01:38
Just make sure there's not a piece of diced carrot blocking the inlet valve!

As an aside, a freind's wife let slip after a few too many fruit juices that the funniest thing she ever saw was her hubby wearing his g suit - and nothing else. Hmmmmm!

L J R
8th Jan 2007, 06:36
Don't knock what you haven't tried Dan!

BEagle
8th Jan 2007, 07:22
A friend's wife, eh Dan?

Gainesy
8th Jan 2007, 09:24
Don't tell him about toggling down fer gawd's sake.:uhoh:

Pontius Navigator
9th Jan 2007, 17:35
I see you can buy a Q mask exoskeleton on eBay for £9.95. It has a toggle etc.:}

Or even a P1a complete with oxygen hose for a MB PEC for only £5.99 plus £5.50 p&p.

L J R
9th Jan 2007, 18:37
Who has time to surf this sh*it?

Zoom
9th Jan 2007, 21:53
1,815 people so far on this site alone, by the look of it - counting you, L J R.

Focks 2
9th Jan 2007, 23:02
As an aside, a freind's wife let slip after a few too many fruit juices that the funniest thing she ever saw was her hubby wearing his g suit - and nothing else. Hmmmmm!
Did your g suit have a 'Q' on it then? :)

Paul Tucker
10th Dec 2007, 11:17
Hi

I work for Honeywell Aerospace Yeovil in UK, and we are the UK Design Authority for the P and Q type oxygen masks.
The Q is the small facepiece, and the P is the large facepiece, all other features are the same.
What aircraft are you flying with this mask?
If you need other information on UK aircraft oxygen systems please ask.
e-mail me on [email protected] if you want any other information on these masks.

H Peacock
10th Dec 2007, 17:45
Hi

I work for Honeywell Aerospace Yeovil in UK, and we are the UK Design Authority for the P and Q type oxygen masks.
The Q is the small facepiece, and the P is the large facepiece, all other features are the same.
What aircraft are you flying with this mask?
If you need other information on UK aircraft oxygen systems please ask.

Paul, can you tell me why the green 'rubber' (or is it silicon) face piece is now made from a different material? I Can't get on with the newer ones and found that on a long sortie (4-5hrs) it was such a relief to remove it. The new 'rubber' has a different feel about it. Probably just as well that I now use a goochie noise-cancelling headset + mic!

Ancient Squipper
20th Dec 2007, 20:55
OXYGEN MASKS-BUYERS BEWARE

At the risk of boring you all f:mad:tless I can't resist this thread any longer.
Knowing that a "Q" facepiece is the small size and "P" the large size is correct but these facepieces are common to a wide range of oxygen masks used in conjunction with different oxygen systems.
To my knowledge "P AND Q" masks have been in use for at least 42 years and at one time there were about 50 variations with numerous modifications depending on aircraft type.

Variations can include:-
Oxygen connectors.
Oxygen hose lengths.
Microphone types.
Exspiratory valves
Anti-suffocation valves
Oxygen mask attachment (Chain- perrypin chain- wire cable and headset adjustable type)

They have been used with non-compatable oxygen systems:-
Pressure Demand.
Mini-man mounted (remember them ?) V and T masks
Economiser system (Replaces the old "H" masks. now "QH" and "PH" uses "P and Q" facepieces but with simple inlet and outlet valves. )
CONFUSED? Good !
Hopefully no-one would attempt to use an oxygen mask obtained from "e- bay" for flying use := and not many people have their own "Fast Jet"

Initial post and rant over

Ancient Squipper
20th Dec 2007, 23:08
Hi H Peacock
Ref problems with your oxygen mask silicone facepiece. About 4 years back the RAF introduced a generic cheaper silicone facepiece for "P and Q" oxygen masks. It is a darker green colour and tends to be not as soft and less flexible than the original. This is most evident when stretching the facepiece to enable the valves to be located and seated correctly.
Your friendly squadron squipper should know the difference and might even have some of the original facepieces stached away and be able to help you out.

PS For those that don't know.
Squipper:- Survival Equipment Fitter RAF tradesman responsible for maintenance and repair of Parachute assemblies-Liferafts -Aircrew Equipment Assemblies (Flying clothing/Lifesupport )

Magnersdrinker
21st Dec 2007, 02:39
Oxy masks , just dont ask for a liney check out ;)

HelmutMann
17th Nov 2014, 17:59
All mask shells were black. The P shell was bigger than the Q shell

I believe the P became the Q after the contract was handed to a different manufacturer and was used to differentiate the original from the new model. The Q was essentially the same mask and the letter are not to do with size.

Tashengurt
17th Nov 2014, 21:54
Nope. totally wrong. P=large Q=small.

Posted from Pprune.org App for Android

Pontius Navigator
18th Nov 2014, 08:39
Though I have a big conk I had a Q mask.

The proper fit was on the bridge of the nose to above the point of the chin, IIRC.

dragartist
18th Nov 2014, 20:13
Tash and Ancient Squipper are correct.
However all the mouldings were made at Camberley Rubber irrespective of who the Design Authority is/was. (NGL/Meggitt/MEL/RFD Beaufort etc. etc) quite a Pi55ing contest between them all a good while back. Hope the dust settled.

As for PNs Conk- All I can say is it must run in the family!!

Pontius Navigator
18th Nov 2014, 20:39
DA, true. Found a cousin with our common ancestor b1797. As he came down our drive the first time my wife recognised him.