PDA

View Full Version : Capital Gains Tax in Hong Kong?

Mach75
1st Jan 2007, 05:20
I stand to make a significant amount of money when I sell my house in Canada to relocate to Hong Kong. I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons between keeping the money invested in Canada versus bringing the money into Hong Kong and locking it into an investment over there. Bearing in mind that we are all pilots and not financial advisors, can anyone offer any input? Are there capital gains taxes on investments in Hong Kong and how do they compare to Canadian taxes? How does the average rate of return on your investment seem to compare to Canada?
Any input, either good or bad, would be appreciated.

pontius's pa
1st Jan 2007, 08:16
There is no capital gains tax in Hong Kong nor is there tax on interest gained on investments.

However, the question of whether the investment opportunities in Hong Kong are better than those in Canada I will leave for others to answer.

cpdude
1st Jan 2007, 15:42
The question is...are you planning to be a non-resident of Canada or are you planning to continue paying Canadian income tax?

If you are planning the latter, then leave it in Canada. If you are planning to be a non-resident then you may want to get professional advice to determine your residency score.

How many other things are you keeping in Canada? Memberships, driver licences, home, car, furniture in storage etc. One or two big things or many small things will qualify you as a resident regardless of where you spend your nights!

So pay the money, get the advice and make sure so you don't have a huge tax bill when you get home!:ooh:

Mach75
1st Jan 2007, 18:04
I have spoken to a tax accountant and I do intend on becoming a non-resident of Canada. It looks like I am able to keep my investments in Canada as long as they are locked in as RRSP's - but I don't particularly want to do that. By the same token - I don't want to end up regretting investing my money in Asia either. I'm just trying to get a feel for the investment opportunities that are available in Hong Kong and any other considerations such as capital gains, etc.

cpdude
1st Jan 2007, 19:36
Mach 75 check your PM.:)