PDA

View Full Version : Basing

Glacier1900
31st Dec 2006, 20:43
Hello,
Is it possible for a Canadian (and his family) to be based (and live) in a base other than HKG or YVR/YYZ? I have been finding conflicting reports. Ran into a FO (CDN) based in LAX, he said there was some limits for families living in countries other than HKG/Canada. Is this still the case? Is anyone doing it? Or is it different for every country? I am curious about all bases and all countries. Any info greatly appreciated.
GLR1900

cpdude
31st Dec 2006, 20:58
Hello,
Is it possible for a Canadian (and his family) to be based (and live) in a base other than HKG or YVR/YYZ? I have been finding conflicting reports. Ran into a FO (CDN) based in LAX, he said there was some limits for families living in countries other than HKG/Canada. Is this still the case? Is anyone doing it? Or is it different for every country? I am curious about all bases and all countries. Any info greatly appreciated.
GLR1900

To live in any country other than temporarily you need permission. This can be either a Visa or through immigration to become a citizen. Lots of people do it illegally but if you get caught you're scr*wed!

The USA will deport you and most likely ban you from ever returning. Explain that to CX while you kiss your job goodbye!:bored:

Glacier1900
31st Dec 2006, 22:18
So CX doesnt organize any of that? It is up to every individual pilot?

cpdude
1st Jan 2007, 00:02
So CX doesnt organize any of that? It is up to every individual pilot?
That is correct!;)

CAN-NOT!!
1st Jan 2007, 08:12
To live in any country other than temporarily you need permission. This can be either a Visa or through immigration to become a citizen. Lots of people do it illegally but if you get caught you're scr*wed!
The USA will deport you and most likely ban you from ever returning. Explain that to CX while you kiss your job goodbye!:bored:

Interesting.

LAX base=Canadian paradise

4-Daned
1st Jan 2007, 10:07
Glacier, my advice to you is to take it as it comes...I don't know if you're just joining Cx, or thinking about it, but you might as well know now that they leave immigration rules and tax sheltering SOLELY up to you...

Anyway, the air here isn't THAT bad, hang out in Hong Kong for awhile, get fluent in the BS, and your basing will fall into place in the natural order of things.

Or be a freighter commuter. Better yet, be a "Snowbird"....I believe that's allowed.

Glacier1900
1st Jan 2007, 21:02
Good to know, thanks guys.