PDA

View Full Version : Learning to fly, it's hard!

PompeyPaul
30th Dec 2006, 16:43
Real early in my flying career, have about 5 hours. I thought it was expensive, but I've now realised it's really tough. I can feel myself improving, the pre-flight checks are getting more accurate and faster, the general plane handling is improving.

I'm just struggling because trying to read the "air law" book, plus the "plan handling" book and also concentrate on the check lists and do the flying, plus hold an intensive job is proving very difficult.

Does it get easier ? Am I struggling to much for a 5hour flight career ? There just seems like sooooo much to take on.

Increase throttle, plane yaws to left, apply rudder
Trim straight and level
Change power hold climb at 80kts, trim to hold 80kts, apply rudder at the height of the climb

Dunno why I'm positing this. My first FI said "just keep trying to enjoy your flying" and now I understand why. The whole thing is feeling like to much. I'm going to stick at it, but I'm hoping it's like learning to drive. You'll have times where you wonder if you'll ever get the hang of it.

I just had no idea that learning to fly was SO difficult. Goodness knows how those people in the states get a PPL in 3 weeks flat!

Megaton
30th Dec 2006, 16:55
It gets easier but there's always a learning curve in avition - it's just some bits are steeper than others. Before long you'll be trimming without even noticing that you're doing it!

mcgoo
30th Dec 2006, 16:57
I found the first few hours to be the hardest, there was kind of a lag where for example lesson one sank in on lesson three and lesson two sank in on lesson four but I found once the basics had sunk in it was easier to progress.

soay
30th Dec 2006, 17:09
At your stage, I wanted to push the pedals the wrong way when landing, and pull on the throttle to increase revs, so it sounds like you're doing fine to me! Stick at it and it will eventually all come together.

'Chuffer' Dandridge
30th Dec 2006, 17:10
If it wasn't this tough, virtually anyone apart from criminals and the like would be able to join what is a very exclusive club. Just look at the types that frequent Goodwood, Shoreham and Stapleford- Sports jackets, cravats and expensive slip on shoes (White plastic shoes only at Stapleford:ok: ). Just think, even actors, TV celebrities and footballers would be learning to fly if it was that easy.... And also, if it was really easy, people would be learning to fly, then buying a GPS and getting into all sorts of scrapes infringing controlled airspace etc without learning a fairly complicated set of navigation puzzles to arrive at their destination without sweating about it.
Personally, I think that if you have proved that you can learn to drive a car, then you should be given a plane license because the two things are very similar :E

Seriously though, enjoy it :ok:

Jon Tucker
30th Dec 2006, 17:23
Paul, I'm at about 14 hours and pretty much ready for solo. If it wasnt for the fact that my currently mentally busy job is keeping me from studying for the airlaw exam then I would have done my first solo flight before the airfield I'm learning at closed the runway (grass strip) for the winter.

I found in my first few hours exactly what you have in that it all seems like way too much to take in. However, by the time you've finished the upper air stuff and start doing circuits, most of the things that seem tricky now you'll be doing without even thinking about it. I've found landing pretty difficult to get to grips with but eventually it just clicks and then you've got it. Like HP says, its a learning curve of varying steepness and its fairly steep at the beginning. Where I am now isn't too bad but I fully expect to be confused and frustrated with myself again in the not too distant future! :confused:

Anyway, stick at it!! Like 'Chuffer' says, if it was that easy, everyone would be doing it!!

VFE
30th Dec 2006, 18:25
By the time you come to flying circuits the handling will be much easier.

You should speak to your instructor about your fears so he/she can assist you better.

VFE.

Mad Girl
30th Dec 2006, 18:33
I'm just struggling because trying to read the "air law" book, plus the "plan handling" book and also concentrate on the check lists and do the flying, plus hold an intensive job is proving very difficult.

Does it get easier ? Am I struggling to much for a 5hour flight career ? There just seems like sooooo much to take on.

Don't Panic!!!.

I ran as fast as my instructor would push me to start with and seemed to pick up everything quite quickly but then I was put in the circuit and all my frustrations began. It took (to me...) forever to learn how to land - and that equates to MONTHS with the weather we've had this year. Flying was NOT fun for quite a while but my stubborness kicked in...I swallowed the tears and just kept going.

I was screwing everything up... kicking myself... doubting my abilities, and generally giving myself a miserable time.

I did manage to pass 5 of the exams and the RT theory BEFORE I went solo AND held down an intensive job - If you love it enough you'll find a way.

I've now gone solo but have still managed to screw it all up and gone through doubting again... and then sorted myself out again (with a bit of help from my instructor).

This flying lark is an absolute rollercoaster of emotions...which no-one warns you about.

Everyone will say relax and enjoy it. Easier said than done - I know!!!

But you know....They're right!!! You just have to persevere, get through your own issues and do what's right for you!

The learning curve goes up and down and your own learning abilities and preferences will dictate when the highs and lows kick in.

Try to chill...try not to let the lows take over (you just make things worse)...remember why you started to learn... and hang on to that thought!!!

You'll also find there are a lot of good people on PPrune who are very supportive of new students problems. They've ALL been where you are now and remember it well.

I'm going through a good spell at the moment but I certainly don't expect it to last until I've finished the PPL...something else will come along and mess me up...but now I know (I think) I can deal with it - AND SO WILL YOU!!!

Relax and try to enjoy the experience - you'll hit a high and it will get easier!!!!

Megaton
30th Dec 2006, 18:42
Mad Girl is absolutely right about flying being an emotional rollercoaster. I can remember first solo in a PA-28 being an absolute high point then not that many years later making a mess of the landing in an Airbus on my final line check as being a terrible low point. Flying is without doubt a real test of character at every level.

matelot
30th Dec 2006, 19:01
... I'm just struggling because trying to read the "air law" book, plus the "plan handling" book and also concentrate on the check lists and do the flying, plus hold an intensive job is proving very difficult ... I just had no idea that learning to fly was SO difficult ...

When you're at work, concentrate on your job, then rest and recuperate with flying (and vicky vercky). Make sure that your planning and time management skills are up-to-date: that should relieve you of some pressure. Try not to enjoy one part of your life at the expense of the other.

Flying is difficult because it's new and it's VERY early days for you. Crawl before you walk before you run. Savour your studies: you will need them. It's all part of mastering a new environment. Don't treat studying - particularly air law - as a chore. Get to grips with it and sail through.

As with any new discipline, take one step at a time, question, listen, question again. Get feedback. It's natural to have periods of self-doubt. Focus on what you have achieved, not on what you haven't.

If it's what you want, you'll get there. But it's not to be rushed. :ok:

Gertrude the Wombat
30th Dec 2006, 19:06
By the time you come to flying circuits the handling will be much easier.
When I first started flying circuits I couldn't work out how to get everything done in only five minutes!!

But of course not very much later on a circuit was plenty long enough to chat to passengers and point out interesting sights to them.

Chequeredflag
30th Dec 2006, 20:45
At five hours, it's very early days. Do stick at it and eventually (trust me) you will hear these words from your examiner "Congratulations, you have passed your skills test" Believe me, it's a fantastic feeling!!
Like you, there were times when I had doubts about my ability (I didn't start until the age of 62), and had some days when I thought I would never hack it, but hack it I did - the day your shiny new ppl comes through the letterbox you will thank your lucky stars you stuck with it. You will never stop learning though.
I'm now back with an instructor, working towards the IMC, and that too is hard work, but very rewarding.
Best of luck, and HNY.

tom775257
30th Dec 2006, 21:38
I echo what has been said.

Remember in flying you never know it all. The day you do is the day you are complacent. Just keep at it and you will improve. Also, remember what you find personally beautiful about flying; it is that that keeps you going. Tonight I was flying passengers from Africa to Europe, I turned down the cockipit lighting and for a while I had that bit of magic with the stars very clear and the land lit up in the moonlight.

p.s. I am still struggling to learn as a new FO.

Best of luck,
Tom.

shortstripper
30th Dec 2006, 21:51
Oi Chuffer!

I've frequented both Goodwood and Shoreham .... and my usual footware is welly boots! ;)

SS

tiggermoth
30th Dec 2006, 22:48
Paul,

Well done on taking the plunge to do flight training, it's a very worthwhile path of discovery and challenges. It's expensive both in time and money, but it's quite unlike anything else that you could do on a weekend - it takes you into the vertical dimension! (Doctor, is it time for my pills yet?)..

I've just done my PPL, and although I did one of those intensive training courses, I can say that my progress went in fits and starts (Google "Tiggermoth Diaries"). I found the setting up of the landing configuration stall (approach stall) and the departure stall difficult to get my head around. Landings well a real big humdinger (almost to a point of becoming a phobia) until it clicked, then it was fine - even in really tricky turbulent conditions with a healthy crosswind flying into the low evening sun.

Things do become more automatic, the trick is to keep on telling yourself out loud (and your instructor) your thought processes. It doesn't matter if you sound silly, or if it's bleedin obvious, just say it ("Right, my airspeed is dropping, I'm getting too slow, ok, I'm pitching forward looking for 70 knotts") This will help you one day when you do that solo. If you start the habit early it will really help.

Another tip is visualisation. Sit on a chair, and imagine you are in the cockpit, and just go through the procedures. Imagine yourself applying right rudder as you put on full trottle, and move your foot as you're doing it. If you are in a place where you are not likely to be locked up for being a nutter, then walk around carry out a landing pattern (or other excercise), looking over your shoulder for the turns (etc..). You don't have to put your arms out to do this excercise, but heh, nobody is going to know are they?! :O

Write some notes as soon after your lesson as you can. It doesn't matter really how good your notes are in a way, scribble whatever bits you remember down, phrases that you have been taught, critical speeds, angles, attitudes. Let your mind re-run the whole lesson, and you'll get more out of that lesson. Writing a blog (or a diary) straight after your lesson will reinforce what you have just learnt, and will help you with your next lesson.

Like I say, I'm just a new PPL, so I have no experience in flying instruction, but I found these techniques useful for me. Happy flying - you'll find it great!

TiggerMoth

Nil Flaps
31st Dec 2006, 06:31
G'day Paul. Check your PM's. Got a bit of light reading for you. :}

Forgot to ask, what type are you learning in? You also said 'my first FI' in your post. Curious to know how many FI's you've had. Incidentally, don't worry about how long your pre-flight checks take. These things shouldn't be hurried under pressure or time constraints. PM me with answers if you like.

I assumed you were in Portsmouth given your username (know better now), so that suggests you're a Pompey supporter. Despite Bolton you must be a pretty happy chappy right now?

Oh yeah... Happy New Year to you all!

PompeyPaul
31st Dec 2006, 08:12
I think it's just that the realisation has set in as to what I'm trying to do. I always knew it was going to be expensive I had just underestimated how much time it was going to take.

Also yesterday was just a bad experience, it was very windy and it was all cross wind. Plus the cloud was very low and there was no horizon because of poor visibillity, really I should never have gone up. I also think 2 hour lesson slots are a bad idea, because then I am just trying to take in to much. I should've just continued with S&L instead of trying to do 2 things.

I guess it'll get easier, I can feel myself progressing right now, I've just got to stick with it. Now, where's that Air Law book of mine :)

Thanks everyone for all of the tips.

I assumed you were in Portsmouth given your username (know better now), so that suggests you're a Pompey supporter. Despite Bolton you must be a pretty happy chappy right now?
Yep, I even took away some positives from Bolton too. Europe here we come. PTID

Whirlybird
31st Dec 2006, 08:15
Learning to fly is a bit like riding a bike - utterly impossible until you can do it, and then you wonder what on earth all the fuss was about.

matelot
31st Dec 2006, 08:23
Oi, PP! Read this book and you'll be crying out to get in the skies. Hugely satisfying read.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Think-Like-Bird-Pilots-Story/dp/1904744052

tangovictor
31st Dec 2006, 13:06
Paul, Im just a bit ahead of you 14hrs, I went through the "study" worries particulary airlaw, what a nightmare, then, thankfully I purchased the cd's
from Oxford Aviation Training, ( No I do not work for them ) what a difference
passed first time, also going through each flight lesson on the " Practical Flying Training CD " prior to a real lesson, bring total understanding to every lesson. I know it won't be everyones cup of tea, but it works for me.
tv

18greens
31st Dec 2006, 16:49
Of course its hard, otherwise we would not all be so proud to be noble knights of the sky. People who don't fly do not understand what it means to be able to say 'I am a pilot'.
The great thing is the opportunities for learning never ever stop. Aeros, Instruments, Night, Nav competitions and the eternal what will the weather do next connundrum. If you really want to start learning become an instructor.
From what you said in your post you seem to have a good grip on what is happenning, you will do well.

VikNZ
2nd Jan 2007, 06:35
Great to read all your posts, with 11 hours and the temptation to bang my head against the control column over getting the landings right its nice to read the same type of stuff that my instructor is telling me!! :ugh:

(Learning to fly is a bit like riding a bike - utterly impossible until you can do it, and then you wonder what on earth all the fuss was about.)

Can't wait until it happens and definitely keeping at it, enjoying the other 3/4's of the circuit anyway!! Hard to believe we only started 2 weeks ago, but still impatient to get it sorted.

If anyone has any links to online video's or tips re: approaches & landings would be great to hear about them, could definitely help with the whole visualisation thing! :)

cotterpot
2nd Jan 2007, 07:44
http://www.g-bhjk.co.uk/Hit%20the%20Spot.htm
this any good

VikNZ
2nd Jan 2007, 08:02
Yeah thanks for that, kind of clarifies what we've been seeing, nice to see it when its not rushing towards you (or away from you) in a way!!

Anyone have any tips on getting the flare right? I know from levelling off it should just be a nice simple matter of touching down... but unfortunately knowing what to do and doing the right thing aren't happening at exactly the same time at the moment! DOH! :O

cotterpot
2nd Jan 2007, 08:34
I was taught to just try to stop it landing - seems to work most of the time.;)

Choxolate
2nd Jan 2007, 08:57
Anyone have any tips on getting the flare right?
There are many posts and articles about the best way to land and there is no absolutely foolproof method that works every time. However the following (usually) works for me (tricycle gear by the way):-

1. Make sure the approach is set up properly - i.e on the correct glide slope at the right speed (Vref) with (any) flaps set - so the aircraft will fly "hands off" down the glide slope. This is vital to a good flare and landing.

2. Keep you eyes on the landing point until just short of the threshold (altitude about 50 feet) and then raise your eyes to the far end of the runway - from now on look forward to an aiming point on the centre line but in the far distance.

3. As you raise your eyes is about the time to close the throttle (depends on aircraft) completely, and gently round out so that you are flying the aircraft towards where you are looking - i.e.horizontally a foot or so above the surface.

4. From now on all you are trying to do is keep the aircraft in level flight - to do this you will need to increase the angle of attack as speed (and hence lift) bleed off - by pulling back on the yoke (or stick) - gently.

5. Keep pulling back (smoothly) as the aircraft tries to touchdown - if you overdo it then sightly relax the pressure on the yoke - the nose will keep rising and the visual cues come from your peripheral vision - but do not look sideways - keep looking at the far distance. You will get the feeling of the ground rising up around you.

6. Eventually your efforts will be in vain (as lift is lost) and the aircraft will settle onto the ground (with stall warner starting to wail).

A good way of getting the right landing "picture" is to sit in the aircraft whilst someone else pushes the tail own to lift the nose (if possible in your a/c) into the touchdown attitude. This is the picture you want when landing.

Hope this helps

Kolibear
4th Jan 2007, 09:16
Getting your PPL is relatively easy, you just need time, effort & money. Keeping it current is the difficult part.

the dean
4th Jan 2007, 09:47
Dunno why I'm positing this. My first FI said "just keep trying to enjoy your flying" and now I understand why. The whole thing is feeling like to much. I'm going to stick at it, but I'm hoping it's like learning to drive. You'll have times where you wonder if you'll ever get the hang of it.

I just had no idea that learning to fly was SO difficult. Goodness knows how those people in the states get a PPL in 3 weeks flat!

hi paul...

to be honest neither do i...when you have said it all yourself and so has your wise instructor...

and for gods sake throw away all but your first book on aerodynamics.stop reading books about air law at this stage.there will come a time for that.:D

you are overloading yourself...to the point where YOU are making difficult something which IS NOT in itself difficult.

you are learning to fly...that means how the plane flies...how it / you act and react in the air and all which that entails.that is enough for the moment. the great thi9ng about learning to fly is that it is essentially ( at your stage ) a very practical thing and most of us were very grateful for that ( unless you like theory ).

in a few hours things will ( even as you say you are now finding ) start falling into place.

you have enough to do at the moment with understandiong and handling. leave any more theory for later.there will come a time for exams and books.at that stage you will not be concerned with handling as is will come second nature.

if you try to crowd too much useless ( at this stage ) information at this important time your understanding of the flying side may suffer...thus delaying your progress.

as the instructor said..try to enjoy what you are doing. your flying will be the better for it.

ok...now back to the basics...the effect of controls..

very soon you will be introduced to the circuit and how exciting that is...

we all have good days and bad days...but thats all part of the fun.

gear up...:ok:

the dean.

IO540
4th Jan 2007, 12:33
I think its' true that for most people learning to fly is difficult, and often not exactly pleasant and often extremely frustrating. And it gets worse if you are "getting on a bit". The radio makes it much harder (due to brain overload) but one has to learn it sometime.

At some point is clicks though.

I started at about 43 and found it really hard; in fact I hated most of it. Flying solo, even within the PPL, was a fantastic liberator. But I still hated the cr*p aeroplanes I had to fly.

One could make it a lot easier and much more pleasant if one rented a better-than-normal plane, threw a bundle of £££ at a nice instructor (preferably an airline pilot, serving or retired) and told him to take you to interesting far away places (e.g. France or Spain) and you learn to fly gradually on the way. This is sometimes done in the USA, especially at the instrument rating level, made easier by the ability to get trained by freelance instructors (a much better system than the rigid JAA "flying school" thing). But this is a much more expensive option; probably 50% to 100% more expensive than going the standard intensive "45 hour" PPL, and most people learning to fly in the UK are verging on being skint, with many having only just enough to pay for the next lesson. So there is little demand for making the training more pleasant. Instructors would love it of course - they rarely get a chance to go anywhere.

VikNZ
11th Jan 2007, 00:16
Solo'd today :) Big thanks to everyone for all the tips and hints... long road ahead but at least now I feel that things are on the right track! (And that if they get off track again its not the end of the world!)

So thanks again!
V.

Mad Girl
11th Jan 2007, 04:28
WELL DONE !!!

I bet you can't stop smiling now.:ok:

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Nil Flaps
11th Jan 2007, 05:02
ONYER VIK! :ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok:

tiggermoth
11th Jan 2007, 16:14
Well done, that's brilliant - I bet you're buzzin' now! :)

Hampshire Hog
12th Jan 2007, 10:51
Paul,

I remember becoming quite panicky one day when I had just started doing solo circuits. Talking to our CFI afterwards, he thought that the combination of only slightly challenging conditions (they were safe - probably better than recent weather) and my low hours caused a certain about of disorientation and, thus, panick.

Take things slowly. This is definitely a hobby where you have bad and good days. Even at 60 hours, I still found myself trying to steer a PA28 whilst taxying with the yoke one day!

It really is like riding a bike or driving a car though - as Whirly says. You focus like hell for ages. Then you stop thinking about it and suddenly you can do it, wondering what all the fuss was about.

Keep at it.

HH

matelot
12th Jan 2007, 12:23
... And it gets worse if you are "getting on a bit"...

Speak for yourself! :p

VikNZ
13th Jan 2007, 03:33
Loved it!! :) Still having to remind myself that it actually happened. Feel more in control of things now that I've actually seen that I can do it. :O Now comes working on the finesse.... :ok:

j_davey
14th Jan 2007, 14:37
hey there, only 7 hours myself! have not flown in a few months but i found that it took a long time for things to sink in because i was so nervous for the first few flights that everything the instructor said went in one ear and out the other! but now i`d feel comfortable doing it. I was flying from EIWT and with the noise abatement procedures they have there is no simple straight in long approach! hoping to hit florida in april to finish my ppl training!

can anyone recommend a good flying school in Jacksonville?