PDA

View Full Version : New Years Honours 2007 (Military)

Spit the Dog
30th Dec 2006, 10:35
For those interested, here is the link for New Years Honours for the Military.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs/30_12_06_hons_military.pdf

ZH875
30th Dec 2006, 12:10
Congrats to all.

Also of note is that it looks like the Chancellor has spotted another money making idea:

"Recipients of honours will be able to wear a buttonhole emblem in future.
There are said to around 120,000 people eligible to wear the badge of the Order of the British Empire, enclosed in a circle of ribbon, which will cost Ł15."

If they all buy one, 17.5% of Ł1.8m would give Ł315,000 - a nice little earner.....

BEagle
30th Dec 2006, 12:36
But then, so is the RAF...........

threepointonefour
30th Dec 2006, 13:05
Congratulations to Shiney Simmons - well deserved and about time too.

I suppose I'd better tell him in person as I don't think he knows how to work t'internet.

Tombstone
30th Dec 2006, 13:24
But then, so is the RAF...........

Beagle,

a typical knob head remark.

Congrats to all who have received honours. Looking at the names, I'm sure that they're could have been plenty more added!

Phil Carpenter MBE... Well done mate, not bad for an FC!

Pontius Navigator
30th Dec 2006, 15:13
I see the staish at a secret Lincolnshire airbase got a CBE to go with his DSO. Shame the MOD web site for th ebase still has the previous CO.

cooheed
30th Dec 2006, 16:17
Phil Carpenter MBE... Well done mate, not bad for an FC!

Well done indeed. X many years running the show in near darkness deserves an accolade :)

buoy15
30th Dec 2006, 17:08
Tombes
BEages is right
Fewer people to nominate and fewer people to receive
It's possible the RAF nominated as many as the RN or Army
However, they are probably still 'pending' somewhere on file because most of middle management has PVR'd, lost interest or left, so never got processed
When a 25yr old athelete receives a knighthood for winning a couple of gold medals at an Olympic event, what chance for a 50yr old WO who has seen NI, FI, GW1, GW2, AFG and IRQ to get awarded an MBE?
If your a pop star, 'has been' celebrity, politician, media or business chap attending a Dowing St party, that's ok
How many of these people have donated to charities or a poverty they support from their ammassed fortunes - but still get recognised through the 'honours system'?
The whole thing is incestuous

AC Ovee
30th Dec 2006, 18:52
B15, your closing comment, "the whole thing is incestuous" is an exagerration. I don't think we should put the showbiz and sporting personalities in the same category as our honoured Service personnel, who have all done something above and beyond their primary and secondary responsibilities.

BEagle
30th Dec 2006, 19:25
Forgive Doomstone - he has an appointment with a Vulcan and a rose to fulfil next year......

Fewer people, fewer awards. Hardly bŁoody rocket science is it.

haltonapp
31st Dec 2006, 00:58
I only did 35 years, so I remained to be convinced that majority of the people who appeared in the RAF honours list during my time in the service deserved their award. In fact, the only person, IMHO, that I know who deserved and received the award of the MBE was a Master Engineer at the secret Oxfordshire airbase with the initials JRM.
I was always amazed at the the number of RAF Regt people who were awarded the MBE/BEM, for such a small branch their success rate was amazing!

Caractacus
31st Dec 2006, 06:28
Is that the 'Shiney' Simmons of F3's, BBMF and Tucano QFI?

London Mil
31st Dec 2006, 07:02
Why are ther orderly officers all over the Service sitting on a sealed brown envelope today? Undoubtedly their instructions will be "Do not open before midnight". Meanwhile, MOD and the media publish the whole lot yesterday.

Nice to see we're so joined-up.

Impiger
31st Dec 2006, 08:31
London Mil

The advance list I saw was Honours in Confidence until 0600 yesterday so not sure why any Orderly Officer should be sat on a brown envelope.

L J R
31st Dec 2006, 08:42
The instructions were to open envelope on the 30th.

oldpinger
31st Dec 2006, 09:16
Holy CR#P! when I joined Dartmouth, VADM Boissier was a 2 and a half on the staff.('88) Guess I should have been a fish-head- oh well!:hmm:

Congrats to the rest of course

AllTrimDoubt
31st Dec 2006, 16:39
Indeed - same Shiney - now @ DEFTS Firefly Standards. And thoroughly well deserved too.

Tombstone
31st Dec 2006, 16:46
Forgive Doomstone - he has an appointment with a Vulcan and a rose to fulfil next year......

Fewer people, fewer awards. Hardly bŁoody rocket science is it.

Apologies Beags.

Note to self: Do not drink and type whilst in a bad mood. :=

Lima Juliet
31st Dec 2006, 17:02
I don't think we should put the showbiz and sporting personalities in the same category as our honoured Service personnel, who have all done something above and beyond their primary and secondary responsibilities.

...And getting one for working at MOD or PJHQ is!!:ugh:

BEagle
31st Dec 2006, 17:56
"Apologies Beags.

Note to self: Do not drink and type whilst in a bad mood."

Accepted graciously.

Why the bad mood? Have you been pondering your fate with the ar$e cheek-clamped rose this coming year?

As soon as Vulcan '558 has made her first flight, I will contact you so that the delightful Joanna can record your performance for poster(iori)ty - I'm sure that Marham will be a suitable venue but anywhere else in England will be fine! Just tell us where and when!

Tombstone
31st Dec 2006, 19:22
I'll be at the venue on the day 558 flies Beags, unless they send me somewhere else (anywhere will do boss!)

Bad mood was induced by some fool reversing his/her/its car into my brand new Discovery at Waitrose! :mad:

All the best for 2007.

Mama Mangrove
1st Jan 2007, 00:52
The whole system is a pile of ordure. The only awards should be those for gallantry, either civil or military. Even then, the whole scheme becomes politicised because it depends on somebody having seen aforementioned gallant event or somebody having survived it, plus some senior officer or politician approving the award. Unsung heroes are the true heroes. What does a CBE, DBE or KCMG mean to the average person in the street? Nothing is what I would suggest. Prefixing ones name with 'Sir' is also meaningless as one may have been born a baronet in the screwed up system in which we live.

The Honourable, Dame Mama Mangrove OBE (Old , Bald, Elderly) :{

haltonapp
1st Jan 2007, 01:39
I wasdisappointed to see this thread wander off so quickly, what has an old Vulcan got to do with the new years honours list Beagle?