PDA

View Full Version : Can a Canadian Pvt F/W train in US for Canadian add-on Rotorcraft?

pa42
30th Dec 2006, 09:22
This is a challenge: vacationing Canadian F/w pilot (400 hr) shows up in FL wanting to do the training (ground & flight) for add-on Canadian rotorcraft rating. (warm weather, cheap rates)

Of course, final steps (Canadian written, Canadian Instructor recommendation, Canadian practical test) to be done (you guessed it!) in Canada.

Assuming we work from Transport Canada guides, how far can we get with this hybrid caper?

Yes, the answers are likely in the regs somewhere. Requiring hours and hours of (gasp!) reading the regs.

Anybody got a quick and clear summary answer?

Any expatriate dual-qualified CFI's floating around S. FL. who would like to take this project off my hands?? (We're about 8 hrs into it with an R-22.)

Dave

Winnie
30th Dec 2006, 10:11
Sorry NO!

Must do ride with Canadian Examiner...

However, you could do it to US Standards then convert, but afraid that would increase your cost...

pa42
30th Dec 2006, 12:50
Dearest Winnie:

Of course. However, I fear that you have responded only to the subject line of my post (fastest draw in the west?). Now, if we can read all the way down to paragraph two, we find that completion of this operation is specified IN Canada.

So the question remains: how much, if any, of the preparation in skills and knowledge can be done in the happy-go-lucky subtropics before snowhoeing up into the Frozen North for the final steps?

lowflyer2000
30th Dec 2006, 14:12
PA.../
You will find that "hours are hours" no matter where you acquire them. Case in point, over the years (when I was still actively instructing) many foreign pilots would apply for their respective Canadian lic. and as you stated, all that was required was the written and appropriate Flight tests.
I used to know a helicopter instructor (Canadian) who for years, taught in California and a number of his students would do exactly as I have stated.
good luck.

Winnie
30th Dec 2006, 16:05
We're quick at the draw...

There seem to be a slight difference in the way things are done in the US and in Canada.
(I am a Class 1 helicopter instructor in Canada).

So doing all your training in Canada up to the 60 hours required, may still not do you any good, since the US instructor not necesarily knows how the 'canadian way' is.

Just My opinion...