PDA

View Full Version : Time Calculation between time zones

McsePhoneguy
30th Dec 2006, 02:54
I just dont get it.
I leave Brimingham AL AT 6pm cst and arrive in Houston 2 hrs later.
I have a 1 hr layover and then fly to Las Vegas and arrive ay 10:30 pm local time.

The way I see it is that I left at 4pm pst and arrived 1030 pst.
That totals 6.5 hrs total time.
I subtract 2 hrs of flight for birmingham to houston and 1hr for the layover leaves 3.5 hrs of flight time between Houston and Las Vegas.

How is that wrong?

Dont tell me that all the pilots (several) that are my brothers neighbors are all wrong.

Correction: They arent pilots. They just travel often.
4 views and no replies is that because this is a stupid question or do they know something I dont?

Help me understand this please.

The only thing I can think of is the 4 minute per some degre along with the 15 degree time zone.

I need help please.

11Fan
30th Dec 2006, 05:51
I couldn’t really tell who doesn’t believe it takes that long, you, or your brother’s neighbors.

Birmingham Al to Houston TX – 667 miles, two hours, average of 333 MPH.

On a prop, that’s about right.

So, there’s your first two hours.

Hanging out in Houston for 60 minutes makes it three hours

Houston TX to Las Vegas – 1,455 miles, three and a half hours at 415 MPH average, on a jet, with climb out, maybe a holding pattern, landing, taxi to the gate, seems about right.

There’s your six and a half hours.

As far as multiple views with no response, maybe they didn’t want to do the math for you. I must really be bored. :ugh:

McsePhoneguy
30th Dec 2006, 13:08
My brother was correct and all the neighbors including wives were against him. He tried to explain that its simple math. They were all telling him the flight from Houston to Las Vegas was 2 hrs.

Proof that the majority can all believe one thing and still be wrong.

I once had to show a Brain Surgeon how to operate a toggle switch.

Im not surprised that an ALABAMA PHD could be wrong.

My research shows Houston to LasVegas 1232 miles by a crows flight.

It seemed inpossible to me that a 737 could average well over 600 miles per hour for 2 hours. It must in order to make the flight time be 2 hours and must include takeoff and landing.
Just doesnt seem possible it could happen.

I agree its just simple math.
My younger brother was ganged up on by the neighbors and they all thought he was an idiot for thinking flight time was 3.5 hrs as noted above.

He called me to see what I thought and I said 3.5 hrs.
I see no other way the simple math works out.
I considered the possibility that maybe there was something I didnt know.
The 1070 nm trip seems impossible in that plane in 2 hrs.

WHAT SAY YOU?

11Fan
31st Dec 2006, 00:36
That was the lot.