PDA

View Full Version : His last thoughts just before the noose tightened?

Fast but Safe
30th Dec 2006, 01:09
I was thinking more.....

"I bet youtube.com show this tonight!"

Lon More
30th Dec 2006, 01:54
"What, no virgins? That's me :mad: ed!"

SASless
30th Dec 2006, 02:02
"Another fine mess you have got me into Ali!"

or....

"Long drop or short drop ? See you Tom....I am afraid of heights...could we just do this from the ground?"

ironbutt57
30th Dec 2006, 02:53
Guess I never should have trusted G Bush, Rumsfeld and the others 18yrs ago...

eagle 86
30th Dec 2006, 06:07
The WMD are hidden under the CLUNK......
GAGS
E86

London Mil
30th Dec 2006, 06:39
"Guess I shouldn't have wasted my time on sending Dubya a Christmas card"

PICKS135
30th Dec 2006, 10:39
Did I remember to turn the gas off ??

Or

Thats another diary I wont be using

or

this ties a bit tight

Jimlad1
30th Dec 2006, 11:34
Thank god they got on with it - I'd hate to be left hanging around...

LowTime
30th Dec 2006, 11:37
The Mother of All Wars!!! If i ever get my hands on the Minister for Propagander.........

anotherthing
30th Dec 2006, 11:42
"Thank God I decided to wear brown today"

threepointonefour
30th Dec 2006, 13:57
The world is now a safer place that a mad, war-mongering dictator, who was responsible for the death of thousands, is no longer here. Now what about all the others?

ps. Am I the only one who doesn't exactly feel like gloating here? I'm glad the Iraqis may now feel that justice has been done, but, aside from 'our pound of flesh', what have we gained? And why gloat about it?

ShyTorque
30th Dec 2006, 14:04
"Right waste, that LP I had for Christmas...."

I agree, I'm not gloating. Saddam claimed a long time ago that by deposing him, the west would open up a Pandora's box. How right he was.

BEagle
30th Dec 2006, 14:27
Not one of PPRuNe's best threads of recent years....

I note the following statement from that blundering idiot GDubya:

"Today Saddam Hussein was executed after receiving a fair trial - the kind of justice he denied the victims of his brutal regime.

"Saddam Hussein's execution comes at the end of a difficult year for the Iraqi people and for our troops. Bringing [him] to justice will not end the violence in Iraq, but it is an important milestone on Iraq's course to becoming a democracy that can govern, sustain, and defend itself, and be an ally in the war on terror.

"Many difficult choices and further sacrifices lie ahead. Yet the safety and security of the American people require that we not relent in ensuring that Iraq's young democracy continues to progress."

Every other world leader of any repute has come out against the capital punishment sentence. The "Hang 'em high" red-neck justice advocated by Bush's statement has no place in the 21st century.

And what comment from Trust-me-Tone?

"Nice song, Robin."

SASless
30th Dec 2006, 14:43
Beags ol' buddy....

Heads of States do not like to see other Heads of States done....it sets a precedent they are most uncomfortable with.

http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/u/U/saddam_hang.gif

SPIT
30th Dec 2006, 17:03
I wonder who painted this place:confused:

ORAC
30th Dec 2006, 17:20
Every other world leader of any repute has come out against the capital punishment sentence. The "Hang 'em high" red-neck justice advocated by Bush's statement has no place in the 21st century.
A self-fulfilling statement BEagle, since you obviously consider anyone who supports capital punishment disreputable.

The citizens of the countries he attacked disagree. Understandable really, they don't have your dispassionate view.... :hmm:

"This is the best Eid gift for humanity,'' said Saad bin Tafla al-Ajmi, former information minister of Kuwait, referring to Eid al-Adha, the most important holiday on the Islamic calendar, which began Saturday for Sunni Muslims. Al-Ajmi heads a state committee that is searching for 605 people who disappeared during Saddam's seven-month occupation of Kuwait that began in 1990. He said the families of the missing were "ecstatic.'' And he added "This is the fair punishment for the one who executed our sons without trials.''

In Iran, which fought an eight-year war with Iraq that killed hundreds of thousands of people on both sides after Saddam invaded in 1980, most people thought he got what he deserved.Iranian state TV hailed the hanging of Saddam, who waged war with Iran from 1980-88. "With the execution of Saddam, the life dossier of one of the world's most criminal dictators was closed,'' state-run television reported. "Death was the least punishment for Saddam,'' said Hasan Mohebi, a fruit vendor in Tehran. "He destroyed the lives of millions of people in this region.''

MReyn24050
30th Dec 2006, 17:26
I was thinking more.....

"I bet youtube.com show this tonight!"

Just seen the BBC news, was it wise of the Iraq authorities to show the video. Whilst I abhor all that Saddam Hussein has done he certainly met his death as a brave man.I cannot help thinking that he will be thought of as a martyr by many people.

US Herk
30th Dec 2006, 17:48
was it wise of the Iraq authorities to show the video
Normally, I would say no. In this case, it might be the lesser of two evils - video "proof" that he is dead immediately after his execution helps to quell rumors of anything to the contrary which could be worse than promised reprisals...

tmmorris
30th Dec 2006, 18:20
I'm sorry, BEagle, but you are in danger of turning into a woolly liberal. You can't support democracy, but then disapprove when countries democratically decide to have the death penalty.

In fact, liberalism in general has one fatal flaw: liberals believe it's great that everyone has their own opinion and way of doing things, as long as they don't disagree with liberalism...

Tim

RileyDove
30th Dec 2006, 18:29
ORAC- Have you forgotten that Iran is a member of the 'axis of evil' - having a leader who is quit clearly barmy and who would like to turn the sands of Israel into irradiated glass is hardly a country to quote when refering to Saddam!

Miles 'n More
30th Dec 2006, 20:22

John Howard didn't have anything bad to say about it. He praised the Iraqis for having the bravery to stick to due process.

eagle 86
30th Dec 2006, 20:32
Beagle et al,
Some of us find humour in his death - I personally couldn't give a **** about the count - I don't know why the top of his head wasn't blown off as he was dragged from his hidey-hole - if you don't like this thread p!ss off and pedal your touchy - feely left wing cr@p elsewhere.
GAGS
E86

Captain Sand Dune
30th Dec 2006, 20:37
This must be why the phrase "it's all over bar the shouting" was invented.:hmm:

SASless
30th Dec 2006, 20:44
Beags,

Not only do most of the states have the death penalty....a few do not....but in Texas they are building an express lane for those who murder in the presence of three credible witnesses. They get to go to the head of the queue!:=

RileyDove
30th Dec 2006, 20:47
Are they making a slow lane for those than don't die after 30 minutes from a lethal injection?

eagle 86
30th Dec 2006, 20:56
Does that refer to your brain size - I reiterate I am NOT an American!!
GAGS
E86

BEagle
30th Dec 2006, 20:57
Just read the accounts of the number of bungled electric chair executions carried out in the Land of the Free..... Neither quick nor efficient - merely brutal retribution committed by ignorant, incompetent rednecks.

eagle86, I've never been called 'Left wing' before. Far from it. But if that distances me from the type of person your post paints you as, then so be it.

eagle 86
30th Dec 2006, 21:00
Beagle,
Suits me fine too!
GAGS
E86

SASless
30th Dec 2006, 21:03
Beags....it should be a bit off-putting when the state gives some one the chop or else we might grow too fond of it!
One recall our nation was founded upon good Christian values including something very akin to the Muslim belief of "An eye for an eye". America being the land of compromise and mixing of ethnic/cultural/social attributes of many races/creeds/religions.....we're just trying to do what most of the citizens see as being the right thing to do. We have elected to punish killers (in most states anyway).

threepointonefour
30th Dec 2006, 21:09
We have elected to punish killers (in most states anyway).

... and still go to church every Sunday morning. Somewhere in the TEN Commandments that your country quotes so freely, is;

THOU SHALT NOT KILL unless the Governer of Texas (insert state as appropriate) deems the killing to be ok.

I'm fairly certain the above is an accurate transcript of Moses' work.

ps. I don't believe, just find the hypocritcal approach amusing.

hobie
30th Dec 2006, 21:10
I don't know why the top of his head wasn't blown off as he was dragged from his hidey-hole -

There was a famous quote by Churchill? (not 100% about that bit) who answered a question ..... "what would have happened if Hitler had been captured alive?" ........ an he replied "I would have left that decision to the troops on the ground"

A wise man .....

mcgoo
30th Dec 2006, 21:12
Not youtube but I see the actual hanging is already on the net, filmed by what looks like a mobile phone.

Check 6
30th Dec 2006, 21:13
I agree with BEagle 100%. I think he should have been released from custody and ordered to live with BEagle for eternity. Let's see how liberal you really are. :ugh:

Worry about problems in the UK before you start criticizing the U.S. :=

BEagle
30th Dec 2006, 21:13
A pretty weak justification for supporting state-sponsored killing, I feel.

No wonder the rest of the world is growing weary of your view of civilisation.....

A great shame. If only the efforts and energies of your country could be channelled towards something beneficial rather than following its current destructive path under GDubya.

SASless
30th Dec 2006, 21:20
Three....

Perhaps accurate to the iterance of the commandment. Since you are not a believer and therefor have missed the teachings of the commandments....those directives were sent to Man as the guide map towards the conduct of one's life and violation of those commandments were a Sin.
As you might recall, the first two humans were cast out from the Garden of Eden for violating the ban on eating apples from a particular tree.
Thus, within a religious context one can surely expect to be punished for murder which is a Sin....thus the existence of hemp, cyanide, gunpowder, lead, swords and axes. Since our law comes from our religious belief and good Ol' English Common Law except for Louisana....we merely are following the guideposts provided us from our founders.

Convenient of the Big Guy in the Sky to provide us the means to following his teachings, eh? Confirms the thought that the Good Lord will provide for you if you live to his teachings.

hobie
30th Dec 2006, 21:30
Have we forgotten what this guy has been doing for the last twenty odd years ? ...... :confused:

Try a Google with "saddam hussein's crimes" .....

Iraq could be such a prosperous part of the world today (even as a dictatorship) if only SH had been a bit more reasonable in his treatment of his own people and avoided starting a ruinous war every 5 minutes ...... instead he has practically destroyed his country .........

eagle 86
30th Dec 2006, 21:41
Hobie, SASless,
You waste your breath, beagle and his mates are classic examples of why the Western world is in a spiral dive to oblivion - even lost the touch with cricket!!
GAGS
E86

On_The_Top_Bunk
30th Dec 2006, 21:51
Not youtube but I see the actual hanging is already on the net, filmed by what looks like a mobile phone.

it's not on Ogrish or what has become of it so where did you find it?

mcgoo
30th Dec 2006, 21:54
sent you a pm

ORAC
30th Dec 2006, 22:16
Riley: ORAC- Have you forgotten that Iran is a member of the 'axis of evil' - having a leader who is quit clearly barmy and who would like to turn the sands of Israel into irradiated glass is hardly a country to quote when refering to Saddam! No, but I wasn't quoting the nutter in charge, but the man in the street.

sox6
30th Dec 2006, 22:25
How about:

"And Donald Rumsfeld always used to like to hang out with me, but where is he now?".
http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB82/handshake300.jpg

BenThere
30th Dec 2006, 22:45
Lethal injection came about from the anti death penalty lobby's prevailing with the Warren Supreme Court that the traditional methods, hanging, firing squad, and primarily, the electric chair, were 'cruel and unusual punishment' and thereby unconstitutional.

I think I would prefer the firing squad for minimal agony and lower chances of a painful screwup.

Better yet, I think I'll be careful not to do something to put me in that predicament.

eagle 86
30th Dec 2006, 22:47
Aah - glad to see beagle has taken my advice and gone elsewhere!!
GAGS
E86

SASless
30th Dec 2006, 22:47
Be careful who you shake hands with on camera....you are known by the company you keep.

http://z.about.com/d/history1900s/1/0/a/P/hitler22.jpg

sox6
30th Dec 2006, 22:48
BenThere
What predicament? Being in a firing squad?:hmm:

SASless
Very true!:ooh:
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40118000/jpg/_40118568_handshake203.jpg

November4
30th Dec 2006, 22:53
Some joker is offering the "rope" is for sale on E-Bay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110073937696)

sox6
30th Dec 2006, 22:55
And some jokers are bidding!

West Coast
30th Dec 2006, 23:03
"A great shame. If only the efforts and energies of your country could be channelled towards something beneficial rather than following its current destructive path under GDubya"

What would be great is if we could get every liberal would agree to a single path they want the US to take. Your beneficial isn't likely what other liberals see as beneficial, as evidenced here on the pprune. Some liberals see the US role to boot Mugabe to save some expat farmers, other liberals cringe at the thought. To be fair, I don't know which tree you hug on that particular issue. As we can't please what all you enlightened intelligentsia want, then we will pursue our interests. Just the same as your country does.

"A pretty weak justification for supporting state-sponsored killing, I feel"

You speak of Iraq or NI?

Beagle, you were born a few hundred years too late. The height of the empire would have suited you well.

SASless
30th Dec 2006, 23:13
Now all ya'll ease up on Beags....he has always been the gentleman even when poking sticks at me...well usually anyway. Perhaps he missed his afternoon tea and his pecking away at the keyboard hit a bit off target.

We all have our "senior" moments.....and Beags being probably the most "Senior" of us is entitled to a bit of respect if for no other reason than his continued longevity.

C'mon back Squire....and rejoin the good humoured jousting that goes on here.

We can respect his views even if we don't agree with them.

West Coast
30th Dec 2006, 23:24
Just returning fire with the same type weapons he uses.

Letsby Avenue
30th Dec 2006, 23:47
He was probably the only guy who could keep a grip of things in Iraq (and we had a grip on him) Democracy will never prevail there, they need a dictator. Problem is, who does the west back? The left winger who will kill millions on the right or the right winger who will hundreds of thousands on the left - We will have to choose again quite soon I fear :confused:

eagle 86
31st Dec 2006, 00:04
Give us a break S'less - he is representative of pompous @rsed Poms who have forgotten that the Brits raged across the world a couple of centuries ago destroying all who would not bow to their will. They didn't cease doing this out of some righteous turn around - the people they stomped upon saw the light and turned on them.
GAGS E86

Jackonicko
31st Dec 2006, 00:55
And you're entirely representative of the kind of small-minded, dim-witted kneejerk numbskulls who keep the worst kind of populist right wing politicians in business. You're unbalanced by the massive chip on your shoulder (it's not our fault you weren't born a Brit) and frankly, you're not fit to wipe BEagle's nose.

If you think BEags is any kind of 'libruhl' you must be at the Nazi end of the political spectrum.

Quite apart from any liberal moral objection to capital punishment, this just seems to be badly timed, hurried, counter-productive and poorly judged - and above all terribly unfair on all of those he killed or had killed - except the handful at the one massacre for which he was tried.

It seems a bit like trying Hitler for a couple of murders carried out by the Brownshirts or the Blackshirts in the 1920s, while failing to take the opportunity to hold him to account for the War, and for the Holocaust. There can be no justice and no closure for most of Saddam's victims, and no holding him to account, nor making him answer for the bulk of his crimes.

The trial has been criticised as flawed and stage managed (even described as an unjust show trial) in a way which would have been utterly impossible had he been charged with all of the crimes that could have been lain at his feet. Did he deserve the death penalty for the reprisals that followed one assassination attempt? Perhaps not. Would anyone even be asking the question had he been charged and tried for all of the murders and torture he ordered? Of course not.

Have we mishandled this? It seems like it to me.

And for what?

I am a left-leaning conservative, and would doubtless be labelled a liberal by some of the more extreme right wingers here, and I don't agree with the death penalty, which I view as judicially sanctioned murder.

But in a country where the death penalty is mandated by a democratically elected government, and where it is used routinely, it's hard to get too worked up when one of the victims of this form of judicial murder is himself a mass-murderer and a despotic tyrant.

I can't get too worried or worked up about hanging Saddam on moral grounds, in other words, but that aside, this seems terribly like a piece of foot-shooting to me.

Westie,

"What would be great is if we could get every liberal would agree to a single path they want the US to take."

Many of us would be happy with a decent, honourable, intelligent bloke at the helm who wanted to do the right thing - even if he was an anti-abortion Republican who thought that what was needed right now was more troops in Iraq.....

BenThere
31st Dec 2006, 01:02
Many of us would be happy with a decent, honourable, intelligent bloke at the helm who wanted to do the right thing

That's what you've got now. So what's the problem?

PLovett
31st Dec 2006, 01:31
To those of you in the USA who are rabid supporters of the death penalty, it looks as though you are going to be in a minority soon. Public support for capital punishment is declining, especially after the bungling of recent, so called, lethal injections.:yuk:

You are also beginning to find out that it costs you more to execute an individual that to imprison them for life. Yes, I know, it sounds contradictory but the legal process required before an execution can take place is extraordinarily expensive.:uhoh:

Anyway, its time you lost the frontier mentality and joined those other parts of your country which have made the USA such a powerhouse of ideas and creativity in so many different fields which has benefited the world as a whole. :ok:

TheInquisitor
31st Dec 2006, 01:32
... and still go to church every Sunday morning. Somewhere in the TEN Commandments that your country quotes so freely, is;

THOU SHALT NOT KILL unless the Governer of Texas (insert state as appropriate) deems the killing to be ok.

Incorrect.

The commandment reads "THOU SHALT NOT MURDER". There is a difference - or else anybody who killed in self-defence, for example, would fall foul of the Big Guy.

BEags, I'm curious - could you please square your opposition to the death penalty with your oft-mooted favoured punishment for drug dealers?

SASless
31st Dec 2006, 01:37
You have to give Beags some credit....when he drops a clanger...he drops a "Clanger"!;)

West Coast
31st Dec 2006, 03:26
"it's not our fault you weren't born a Brit"

As you Brits are so fond of reminding us here in the USand A, not everyone wants to be from there.

"You are also beginning to find out that it costs you more to execute an individual that to imprison them for life"

Nothing to do with money.

eagle 86
31st Dec 2006, 04:46
JackoDicko,
You must first have the facts old chap before you let your journalistic lip loose (engage brain first!). It just so happens I WAS born a Brit. You might know beags but you don't have a clue about me.
As I said earlier this thread started out along a particular line - if you don't like that line then there are plenty of other threads where you can bleat your left wing cr@p!!
GAGS E86

parabellum
31st Dec 2006, 04:57
Said, "Public support for capital punishment is declining"
Don't think so. If a referendum was to be held in most of the civilised countries, including Australia, I'm pretty sure you will find that there is a majority of support for the restoration of the death penalty for certain types of murder and that is why Bliar and others will never hold such a referendum, sod the democratic way of life!

Blacksheep
31st Dec 2006, 06:29
Since I'm a Brit-Cit who feels that all of our political parties are well to the left of centre, I don't think I can be accused of being a left wing pinko huggy fluff, such as some of our more right wing extremist members have accused Beags of being. (That's the left wing huggy fluff former nuclear bomber pilot right? A guy who spent several years with his finger on the trigger of a Megaton class weapon system and was fully prepared to vapourise a Russian city if the PM said "Go"?)

But I don't agree with the way Saddam was tried, and I don't agree with his execution. Why?

1. His crimes were crimes against humanity. He was responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands - many of them beyond Iraq'a borders. So it wasn't for the Iraqis alone to try him.

He should have been arraigned before an international tribunal and charged with all his crimes.

2. As to the death penalty, it was Myra Hindley that changed my views on capital punishmnet. Its too easy. Its a get-out for the murderer. Myra was guilty of the worst of crimes - child abduction, torture and murder. She got a life sentence and spent the rest of her life campaigning and scheming to get a release from prison and she failed. After years of squirming and squealing she was carried out in a box. Justice was done.

No, the death penalty isn't justice. Twenty or thirty years in a cell reflecting upon a wasted life and yearning for a freedom that never comes.I reckon that's the way to do it. Permanent incarceration. A life for a life, like the good book says.

London Mil
31st Dec 2006, 07:09
"I wonder if the prooners will have an opinion on this?":eek:

Clockwork Mouse
31st Dec 2006, 07:39
Beags and Jackonicko. I am 100% with you. Thank God for the views you two have expressed on this disgusting thread. As I do not wish to soil my intelect slinging mud with the likes of E86, I will take no further part in this particular piece of garbage.
CM

BEagle
31st Dec 2006, 07:43
Blacksheep - a good summary which reflects the feelings of the more civilised members of the human race.

Jacko - a bit of banter with SASless and Westie is always fine. But I cannot be bothered with abusive extremists who clearly view anyone with views to the left of Attila the Hun as being some left wing pinko.

By the way, for those haven't realised it yet, cricket is only a game. Which Australia seems to be rather good at, it must be said!

sikeano
31st Dec 2006, 10:19
Hangman to Saddam: Guv this is one way you know
Saddam:Yeah let me out quick:mad:

The last person to unite Iraq Was someone from the empire
called Winston Churchill All we got now left is Dubya and Tone

Quote from bEagle

By the way, for those haven't realised it yet, cricket is only a game. Which Australia seems to be rather good at, it must be said!

He forgot to add Or England&Wales (oh yeah we get a share in this ) are rubbish at it
Or we make Australia look good Very sporting old chap
:ok:

Professor Plum
31st Dec 2006, 10:42
Saddams last words?

"I'm a celebrity, get me out of here!!"

om15
31st Dec 2006, 11:09
Clockwork Mouse, spot on.

Jackonicko
31st Dec 2006, 11:12
"It just so happens I WAS born a Brit."

My mistake. It's clear that you're too stupid and too much of a right wing knob to remain one now, however. Australia (or wherever) is still welcome to our genetic refuse.

Wensleydale
31st Dec 2006, 12:30
Its a shame that the trapdoor didn't open up over a sewer. Then his last words could have been a little song:

"I'm swinging in the drain, just swinging in ........"

A bit like the other dictator who met a similar end in 1945, Mussolini. He was a George Formby fan:

"I'm hanging from a lamp post at the corner of the street in case..."

:E

SASless
31st Dec 2006, 12:58
A cellphone video of Saddam's hanging is on the net now.

Judge Parker from Fort Smith ran a proper hanging.....he did it with grim circumspect....something the Iraqi's will never be accused of.

anotherthing
31st Dec 2006, 13:16
Regardless of the rights or wrongs of hanging the bugger, surely the timing of the event was the most ridiculous and also indicative of the Wests ignorance of other faiths... the hanging happened at the culmination of the largest religious event in the Middle East.

And before anyone says it was the Iraqis who hanged him... it was us that handed him over at this inopportune time - it was patently obvious that he would be executed as soon as they got their hands on him.

Stupid, reckless decisions like that are why IMHO, we in the West will never conquer 'the axis of evil' in Iraq, Afghanistan etc.

Pass-A-Frozo
31st Dec 2006, 13:43
"It just so happens I WAS born a Brit."
My mistake. It's clear that you're too stupid and too much of a right wing knob to remain one now, however. Australia (or wherever) is still welcome to our genetic refuse.
Gee thanks JackoNicko :{

I think these words from the transcript are worth mentioning again

<after the guards start taunting him>
Please do not. The man is being executed. Please no, I beg you to stop. Quite possibly the only sane man in the room at the time.

L J R
31st Dec 2006, 13:49
A slow new year's eve party then Frozo? ....WTF are you doing on PPrune at 1am New Year's day??

Pass-A-Frozo
31st Dec 2006, 13:57
I'm not in Aus at the moment :) It's a bright December 31st morning where I am :ok:

SASless
31st Dec 2006, 13:59
Another,

Perhaps you have been taking a nap and some news slipped by you.

The Iraqi government did the trial, handled the appeal, signed off on the death warrant, built the gallows, purchased the rope, and strung him up.

The "West" as you state are all Muslim, Arab, or some combination of both.

All the "West" did was keep Saddam confined and safe until the Iraqi's demanded his being turned over to them.

Perhaps a strong cup of coffee is in order....

Lyneham Lad
31st Dec 2006, 14:11
No, I am not referring to the hanging of Saddam Hussein but to the fact that such a distasteful thread should sully this forum. The personal abuse being thrown about with some abandon is not worthy of a place here (nor even on Jet Blast). I enjoy banter, friendly transatlantic rivalry and even a good argument now and then, but some of the responses in this thread are verging on being too personal and too abusive.

Yes, yes I know I don't have to read the thread but sometimes when you stumble on something unexpected, you have to keep going despite an increasing sense of unease, just to see where it ends up.

We start a new year in a few hours - hopefully mankind will make better use of it than it did of the expiring one.

BenThere
31st Dec 2006, 14:12
A benefit of capital punishment is its finality. The perpetrator will not kill again. Hundreds of people are murdered, and little girls raped by people let go before the durations of their sentences pass.

Every few years Charles Manson, Sirhan Sirhan, and others like them come up for parole hearings. I note these events and pray there aren't a couple of Nancy Pelosis on the parole board.

In the Hussein situation, Iraqis need to know he's not coming back, and now they do. Napolean was sent to forever dwell in an island prison to reflect on his transgressions, but "Surpise!", he returned.

I like to think I'm civilized, Mr. Beagle, though my view is different to yours. I think a lot of civilized people favor capital punishment for capital crimes, and if it were put to a vote, surveys do show this to be a majority view in most jurisdictions, and not only in the US.

Always_broken_in_wilts
31st Dec 2006, 14:39
Rick,
I have seen some pretty tastless things on Prune in the past but a link to live footage of this mans execution.............. that is the lowest yet

Where is a Mod when you need one:=

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

SASless
31st Dec 2006, 14:53
I have seen links to aircraft crashes where pilots have died....what is the difference to posting a link to Saddam's execution?

There have been links posted where beheadings by terrorists were shown.....again...what is different in this case?

Always_broken_in_wilts
31st Dec 2006, 15:05
SAS,

As someone who gives the impression he is an annual subscriber to the "Faces of Death" website I really did'nt expect you to understand:ugh:

However for those of us with a more civilised take on humanity this sort of link is simply offensive, those with that sort of goulish outlook can simply sod off to google and find it themselves:=

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

Rick Storm
31st Dec 2006, 15:16
To keep all happy I've deleted the post. If people want to access the phone vid......... Ogrish.com the phone vid link is top right of page.

Rick

anotherthing
31st Dec 2006, 15:36
SASless

I am glad we are rid of him, however I think Blacksheeps summation (post #61 ) has very strong and valid points.

However - I was under the impression (through news agencies) that we, the West, or more to the point American authorities were responsible for Saddam until he was handed over to be executed. That is different to The Iraqi government did the trial, handled the appeal, signed off on the death warrant, built the gallows, purchased the rope, and strung him up.
If this is the case, then what I said stands; I quote myself And before anyone says it was the Iraqis who hanged him... it was us that handed him over at this inopportune time - it was patently obvious that he would be executed as soon as they got their hands on him.

In future, before you get on your high horse, read peoples posts properly.....

As to a link to his hanging - if he was tried under the war crimes acts, he is a prisoner of war.... it is, is it not, under the Geneva convention, illegal to show such things. Therefore, why did the authorities let it happen?

The excuse/argument of I have seen links to aircraft crashes where pilots have died....what is the difference to posting a link to Saddam's execution? - is a pathetic attempt at justifying something - just because someone else does something goulish/illegal/tasteless/stupid (delete where applicable) does not mean that another person has to do it.

Navaleye
31st Dec 2006, 15:44
Personally, I am glad to see the back of him. However... a man's death should not be turned into a global media event.

SirToppamHat
31st Dec 2006, 16:14
Having (a few years ago) read the book 'The Hangman's Tale' by Sid Dearnley with David Newman (ISBN 0-330-31633-8), I would have to say that the footage I have seen of Saddam's demise is considerably different from Sid's description of the way it was done in the UK.

Compared to the UK method, which was extremely quick and with virtually no ceremony, the Iraqi one seems very drawn-out; unnecessarily so in my view.

That said, I doubt many of his victims were murdered with any significant respect.

STH

PompeySailor
31st Dec 2006, 16:53
The quality of the hanging video should be enough to set the conspiracy theorists off for years.

Personally, I think that Saddam's last thought was "what time does my plane touch down in Langley, and should I have taken the job standing in for Fidel?"

SASless
31st Dec 2006, 16:58
International agreements set the rules for extradition between nations. Some nations will not allow an extradition to the USA because of our death penalty.

I am sure the US Government knew early on Saddam was going to be executed....it begs the imagination to think otherwise.

The Western powers themselves executed members of the German and Japanese military and civilian governments at the end of WW II.

As to what the real legal basis is on this transfer of prisoners is beyond me.

There is a Hue and Cry to release prisoners from Gitmo....thus is this not a similar situation?

Here we release a man to the legal government of a soverign nation....they carried out their court's mandate. The question that I see worth discussing is "what if we had refused to hand him over in light of the death sentence he faced?" What would the debate sound like then?

Would those of us that supported our government action then be arguing the other side of what we did recently?