PDA

View Full Version : Bell 222 - a dying breed?

Snarlie
28th Dec 2006, 18:39
Can anyone confirm that Bell Helicopters are allowing the Bell 222 to fade aw.ay by declining to support the type with spares? Talking to a chum in UK, he tells me that 222 operators are being quoted astronomical prices and ridiculous lead times for essential components. If this is the case, it would seem to be a very shortsighted policy as, not only does the 222 still have a lot to offer, particularly in the IFR onshore charter market, but any prospective purchaser for other Bell products like the 429 would think twice about investing in a helicopter that could well fall foul of a `euthanasia scheme` in years to come.

News of any similar instances would be welcome.

sox6
28th Dec 2006, 19:24
The 222 did first fly 30 years ago. It is true this was about 6 months before the first 76, but in development terms the 222 is far closer to a 76A with 250s than any of the subsequent 76 developments.

When did 222 production end?

Encyclo
28th Dec 2006, 21:52
Had this discussion with a guy at Bell not too long ago; the 222 is as well supported as the 204B or the 212 or the 412. The problem is that when a guy goes AOG, you can't go over and steal parts off the assembly line (yes folks, Bell does that to keep their customers flying).
Other situations that don't help is when a guy needs a part that turned time expired after 5000 Hrs and orders it the day before :ugh: . Proper planning goes a long way and that's how the big guys manage to keep their ships flying in these days when OEMs are struggling with capacity and quality as all segments (military & commercial) are up at the same time.
Not sure when the last 222UT was built:confused: maybe around 1985.

unstable load
28th Dec 2006, 23:07
I recently attended a 212/412 technical course and the major components on the 412 are all retro-fittable on the range back to the early Hueys. Now this obviously does not include the bits that are DIFFERENT, ie swashplate upper ring (4 p/links), mast etc etc.

My point, if a bit round about is that the greater majority of 222 bits should be interchangeable with 230/430 series barring the obvious differences. Both series are derivatives of an earlier type and evolved to what they are today.

Obviously this is an educated guess on my part re the 222, but I am sure that someone out there will know better for mine and everyone's enlightenment.

OTY.

212man
29th Dec 2006, 00:06
"astronomical prices and ridiculous lead times for essential components"
Sounds like a Eurocopter!

rotorrookie
29th Dec 2006, 02:59
Also heard rumors about 222's being banned whitin few years over densely populated (JAR)areas due to it's high noise footprint:\ .....
wich BTW is the coolest of all choppers in my opinion:ok:

Is this just rumor or what??
ps. I´m scheduled to do twin-Ir and 222 check in jan....:ugh: :confused:

spinwing
29th Dec 2006, 04:19
Mmmmm....

Flew the 222UT back in '85 .... LOVED IT! :D :D

...... particularly the way Bell engineered the Collective movement and the co-axial Throttles on the quadrant thing ....Brilliant!!!

:ok: :ok:

WSPS
29th Dec 2006, 05:21
Our maintenance guys just did a repair job on a 222UT. One of the skids cracked.
New skid was there in less than three days :D
Fly smart. Fly Bell.

CVR
29th Dec 2006, 23:57
Its still one of the best helicopters in the world, a great IFR machine so stable, just love it:D

Vertical T/O
30th Dec 2006, 02:23
Good man CVR. Respect to 5J and EA. They both brought me home from U.S.

whatsarunway
30th Dec 2006, 12:28
Yeah, Probably the pretiest helicopter to date, ooh and the noise . . . . .
I think apart from spindles and the big mast the parts are fairly easy to come by.
Still a better machine than the 430 methinks!