PDA

View Full Version : Help and advice wanted for VFR flying abroad!

HR200
27th Dec 2006, 23:28
Hi, my homefield is Leeds Bradford (EGNM), and I am thinking about flying to Le Touquet (LFAT), im sure you all have heard of it.

It will be my first flight outside of the UK as the PIC. The A/C type will probably be a PA28 Warrior.

What I want to know is what I need to do, be aware off, advice on filing a flight plan, how to get clearance off ATC to activate the flight plan etc, how does it all work.

Also, who do I talk to at various stages of the flight like the channel crossing.

Some of my main concerns is using r/t in a foreign country, and how do I get clearance at Leeds Bradford once the flight plan has been filed, do I book out with ATC first, or go to the aircraft and request clearance to Le Touquet over radio to the tower because a flight plan has been filed.

Thank you for any advice anyone can provide.

Also, any good ways of getting weather briefings and charts etc, I have the A/D chart in my Pooleys guide.

Keef
28th Dec 2006, 00:55
Hi, my homefield is Leeds Bradford (EGNM), and I am thinking about flying to Le Touquet (LFAT), im sure you all have heard of it.
Indeed. Been there a few times, too.

What I want to know is what I need to do, be aware off, advice on filing a flight plan, how to get clearance off ATC to activate the flight plan etc, how does it all work.
Just prepare your plog as you would if you were going on a similar flight in the UK. Include the point where you will cross the UK/French FIR boundary (there are some convenient IFR reporting points shown on the half-mill chart for this purpose). You'll need that for the EET/LFFF bit on your FPL.

Filling in Flight Plan forms is a separate topic - there are threads with all the details: a search will find them. It looks daunting the first time, and very soon becomes second nature.

Once you've filed your flight plan, you have to wait for it to percolate through the system (30 minutes for a VFR one). When you call ATC for taxi clearance, just as if you were going on a local jolly, they will have your flight plan and usually will know what you want. You may have to say "X POB, Flight Planned to Le Touquet." They will activate your flight plan when you take off. If you flew out of a grass strip with no ATC, you'd call London Info and ask them to activate it, with takeoff time XXXX.

Also, who do I talk to at various stages of the flight like the channel crossing.
Whoever you like, or nobody. As always, if you want to cross some controlled airspace, then you must talk to the relevant ATC unit. Leaving the UK, assuming you go past Southend and across Kent, you'd probably talk to Southend Radar, then either Manston or London Information. When you got to the FIR boundary (or mid-channel) you'd call Lille Approach (120.275), who may or may not want to talk to you. If they ignore you, and if it's a day when Le Touquet Tower (118.450) is manned, just call Le Touq. If Le Touq Tower is unmanned, make your calls to Le Touq Traffic - but you need to do that in French. If you've never spoken any French, pick a day when the tower is manned!

IMPORTANT - you have to call Le Touq now to request Customs. I either fax them the day before, or use the telephone. I think there's a website where you can do it by e-mail (I've not done that).

Some of my main concerns is using r/t in a foreign country, and how do I get clearance at Leeds Bradford once the flight plan has been filed, do I book out with ATC first, or go to the aircraft and request clearance to Le Touquet over radio to the tower because a flight plan has been filed.

As long as Lille want to talk to you (sometimes they ignore G-reg), and there's ATC at Le Touquet, it's just like flying to Cardiff etc. You don't need to "book out" because filing a flight plan does that.

Also, any good ways of getting weather briefings and charts etc, I have the A/D chart in my Pooleys guide.
You can get the weather briefing and NOTAMs from Avbrief - just as you would for a flight in the UK.

Le Touq is on the Southern UK Half-mill. Technically, you should have a French chart (obtainable from all the usual pilot shops). Be sure you have the latest Le Touq plate: the "cross runway" into the woods has been closed by M le Maire.

Make sure the aircraft documents are all present and correct. The French do occasionally do "ramp checks" - I've been checked probably three times in a hundred or more visits to LFAT.

Enjoy - it's a different world!