PDA

View Full Version : British bombs used by B-52s in DESERT STORM?

brickhistory
26th Dec 2006, 18:37
Reading "Airpower Advantage: Planning the Gulf War Air Campaign, 1989-1991," came across a paragraph about the US obtaining British 1000lb'ers for
B-52s to use as airfield denial munitions.

Any further info to be had here or should I move this to AH&N?

Chesty Morgan
26th Dec 2006, 18:47
Are they more accurate?:E :}

brickhistory
26th Dec 2006, 18:51
Are they more accurate?:E :}
:ok:
Nope, think it was a case of we had a big bomber and yours, well...were gone.
Seriously, the book mentioned that the BUFFs US iron bombs bounced off during tests and and the CBU-89s didn't always provide enough 'bang' to disable taxi-ing a/c. Looking for any updates on here while I also check via USAF.

Bo Nalls
26th Dec 2006, 19:51
Seems to ring a bell with me. At the time, the 960 fuze was just coming into use and was the fuze of choice. However, we were limited to a very small number only due to, rumour said, the B-52 taking a relativly large quantity of them - one assumes they were for use with the previously mentioned thousand pounder. We had to use stocks of 947/952 instead.

In Tor Wot
27th Dec 2006, 02:59
From what I remember it was more to do with weapon construction. UK 1000lb bombs were (are still) forged and are swaged from a single billet. They are capable of penetrating further than the US Mk 80 series which are cast - better for fragmentation but poorer penetration capabilities.

On a number of missions the Buffs used the UK 1000lb as an airfield denial weapon as it was capable of penetrating the operating surfaces and generating greater heave.

brickhistory
27th Dec 2006, 11:50
From what I remember it was more to do with weapon construction. UK 1000lb bombs were (are still) forged and are swaged from a single billet. They are capable of penetrating further than the US Mk 80 series which are cast - better for fragmentation but poorer penetration capabilities.
On a number of missions the Buffs used the UK 1000lb as an airfield denial weapon as it was capable of penetrating the operating surfaces and generating greater heave.

Ok, that tracks. The book referred to the US bombs shattering and not making a big enough crater. This would explain it. Thanks!

Pontius Navigator
27th Dec 2006, 21:36
I do not know about the current generation of UK 1000lb bombs but we used to carry either cast or forged. For Confrontation the mission was for airburst; we carried 18 x 1000lb Cast and 3 x 1000lb Forged with delay fuses.
As for the US/B52 argument, ex-V-Force Nav Rads at Finningley were asked for the 90-way interval settings used by the V-Force. IIRC the settings were 0.18, 0.24, 0.30, 0.45 seconds. At 480kts the 0.30 would have given a spacing of 90 yards between bombs. At 0.18 I believe there was a risk of jostle and impact so our minimum interval was 0.24 seconds.
We did not know why we were asked this except we thought it was because the US was 'borrowing' 90-way kit or they had not got their own information. That they were using, or planned to use, British bombs would make sense.

PS, the guy who took the message was, I believe, M*rv *stl*

threeputt
28th Dec 2006, 21:08
PS, the guy who took the message was, I believe, M*rv *stl*[/quote]

Another V Force legend, in his own lunch time. Last time I came across hin was in the CAOC at Vicenza in '99 during the Kosovo problem. Wg Cdr MA was something to do with Current Ops IIRC. Full of himself, gave us a bollocking just for turning up in theatre and in civilian clothes! Didn't remember me from V force or Tornado times...typical! Also not particularly interested in what we had come to discuss!!.:mad: Tried hard though and not a bad person really.

3P

Pontius Navigator
29th Dec 2006, 09:34
threeputt, strange but true, I believe this was a different MA. Mine retired about 1992 and set off for the USA in a motorhome :)

threeputt
29th Dec 2006, 14:23
You could be right! The one I remember was called "Merv the swerve" It could be that I have got the wrong surname!

3P