PDA

View Full Version : Vhs Tapes To Dvd Disk

SPIT
26th Dec 2006, 16:51
Hi
My cousin informed me that ordinary VCR tapes can be converted to DVD Disks. As I have approx 200 tapes I would like to convert/ put on to DVD Disks I wonder if anyone out there has heard of this and if so what Leads are required and where can I get them ?:confused: :confused:
Thank You in Advance for any Replies.
All the Best for the NEW YEAR
SPIT:ok: :ok:

gingernut
26th Dec 2006, 16:59
I've seen machines dedicated to doing the job- they retail for about a hundred quid. Don't know how to do it via computer though.:ok:

Rick Storm
26th Dec 2006, 19:46
Hi Spit
I bought a cheap DVD recorder and connected up using SCART leads to my VCR. press play on VCR and hit the record button on DVD. You can buy SCART leads from all electrical retailers and computer sections in most supermarkets

You can copy direct to the pc but you'll need to install an analogue card which converts the analogue signal from the VCR to digital, then make yourself 'savvy' with the software (Arcsoft ShowBiz) for doing this, it comes with xp. There are on the market DVD/VHS combo units DVD and VHS slots on front of machine and can work out cheaper the just a DVD recorder.

Rick

Tosh McCaber
27th Dec 2006, 13:09
Definitely, the way to go is via a domestic DVD recorder. I bought one with a hard drive- I know that they're more expensive, but the hard drive makes editing so simple, compared with the inflexibility of simply transferring to a disk.

I generally leave the tape to transfer its contents to the hard drive, and then cherry the bits I want to leave. It's amazing how much dross I've been keeping on my VHS tapes over the years. When I review them, I keep a very small percentage onto disc eventually!

I also now transfer my camcorder content to my domestic hard disc recorder, for editing before transferring to disc. I hardly use the computer for video editing now.

BigEndBob
1st Jan 2007, 11:59
Go to Pc World, there are several makes of kit that will convert vhs(composite) to dvd via your computer, retail about 30 pounds.

Or buy tvcard, usually come with some video capture but generally not good quality.

747-436
1st Jan 2007, 16:44
I have got a Dazzle Video creator or something like that that connects between the Video and PC via a little box. When it is on my PC the video is now where near the Quality that it is the best product for this. When the result is put on to a DVD the result is only a bit better.
I might try next time to get an intergrated VHS and DVD recorder with a built in Hard Drive although they are not that cheap at the moment!