PDA

View Full Version : Can U Do A JAA IR While During A Jet Type

theaviator2005
25th Dec 2006, 22:44
Ok quick Question..... Let's say you Got all your FAA license and a JAA ATPL, would you be able to do the Multi IR in a approved simulator for a Type rating???? got the question from a friend of mine and i am not able to answer this ?? He means if he next time he is going to do a Sim Ride on the Citation he is flying if he does it Under JAR/JAA..... Instead of going through a Prop.

I would not believe myself that a Captain with 8000 hours would have to jump into a Multi Prop to get it transfered to a JAA IR??

Anyway i aint got a clue so if anyone can help me out. ;)

redsnail
26th Dec 2006, 07:31
Yes, you can do a JAA IR in the sim so long as the aircraft is JAR 25 compliant. This involves checking the appropriate JARs which can be done online. (www.jaa.nl)

However, if this is an INITIAL JAA IR eg for the purposes of converting a non JAA ATPL to a JAA one, the checkride/LST must be supervised by someone from an EU authority (eg, a CAA examiner of airmen) and the Sim Check pilot must be also JAA approved.

Hour Builder
26th Dec 2006, 09:00
What Redsnail said is all 100% correct.

Ok quick Question..... Let's say you Got all your FAA license and a JAA ATPL, would you be able to do the Multi IR in a approved simulator for a Type rating

ps If you have a JAR ATPL you already have a JAR IR.

You may find this handy

Different terms apply to ATPL(A) holders with a minimum of 3,000 hours flying experience as pilot of public transport aircraft over 30,000kgs MTWA on scheduled international or similar routes, including a minimum of 1,500 hours as Pilot-in-Command (Captain). Applicants who believe they qualify should apply to PLD for a formal written assessment using form SRG\1103 and enclosing the appropriate fee, actual logbooks and non-UK licence (with validating medical certificate if separate).

Applicants who qualify under these terms will be eligible to complete reduced requirements for the issue of a JAR-FCL ATPL(A). With regards to the theoretical knowledge examinations requirement, a credit will be given towards the JAR-FCL ATPL(A) examinations, with the exception of Air Law and Human Performance and Limitations examinations which will need to be
passed. An applicant who completes the reduced requirements will be issued with a JAR-FCL ATPL(A) however, as this licence does not fully comply with the requirements of JAR-FCL, the holder is not entitled to automatic recognition accorded to JAR-FCL.

theaviator2005
26th Dec 2006, 09:32
I see so next time he does his Recurrent with Flight Safety he would be able to ask to do a checkride under JAA then as i know they do that, and when he pass would he the get a JAA IR RATING and and then still have to get a JAA CPL ?? og how in the world are the rules.....

I know he can do his recurrent in the Citation Sim Under JAA if he like!!!!

Hour Builder
26th Dec 2006, 10:25
I see so next time he does his Recurrent with Flight Safety he would be able to ask to do a checkride under JAA then as i know they do that, and when he pass would he the get a JAA IR RATING and and then still have to get a JAA CPL ?? og how in the world are the rules.....

I know he can do his recurrent in the Citation Sim Under JAA if he like!!!!

You are missing the point a little. What Redsnail said was

However, if this is an INITIAL JAA IR eg for the purposes of converting a non JAA ATPL to a JAA one, the checkride/LST must be supervised by someone from an EU authority (eg, a CAA examiner of airmen) and the Sim Check pilot must be also JAA approved.

so "when" he next does his next licensing proficiency check (LPC) with a JAR examiner, he'll also have to have that flight observed by a UK CAA staff flight examiner. I doubt your friend will find this option as being the cheapest option. These exams fly first class, stay in 5-star accomodation and charge however many thousands of pounds.

HB

theaviator2005
26th Dec 2006, 10:36
Alright that make sence, only reason why im asking is because i can see his point that i could be pretty hard for somone who havent been in multi engine Piston for maybe 10 years to go back to a Piston Aircraft...

By the way what would the difference be between the CAA Examiner you are talking about and then the person ar flightsafety Who is JAA approved Flight Examiner? just wondering

redsnail
26th Dec 2006, 11:37
The other option is to do the sim in the UK (or other JAA member state). Flight Safety is in the UK these days. (Farnborough).
The difference is one is employed by the Training provider, eg Flight Safety and is a TRE (Type Rating Examiner) the other is employed by the regulatory authority, in this case, the UK CAA. Those examiners are not cheap and can be quite hard to get hold of. I would hate to have to pay for them to go to the US.
Not knowing what Citation your friend is looking at does make it tricky.
If he cannot do the sim in the UK (or EU) and he doesn't want to pay for another session at Flight Safety Int then I *think* the only option left is to fly a piston twin... :( ( I am not overly familiar with this route)

Hour Builder
26th Dec 2006, 11:42
Ok let me explain

CAA staff flight examiner- is an employee of the UK CAA. This TRE is approved normally on all types (a blanket approval), and they are the ones that carry out Observed Flight Tests. Put it this way, to get a IR in the UK you need to be tested/observed by a UK CAA staff examiner at some point.

CAA TRE- Any UK approved TRE

Fight Saftey TRE's in USA are approved to do LPC's. These examiners are approved under a blanket company approval as they are not JAR licence holders themselves. The UK CAA gives approval to Flight Satey as a TRTO, and these FAA examiners are given "approvals"-not licences to do LPC's under this TRTO approval. A FSI TRE cannot complete a UK JAR ATPL (A) skills test for the purpose of upgrading from CPL/IR to ATPL.