PDA

View Full Version : B206 Sloping ground

Hoveronly
24th Dec 2006, 19:32
Im new to the 206B but I cant find the limitations on slopeing ground anywhere in the FM or elsewhere. Any ideas anyone?

Merry Christmas all!

Ascend Charlie
24th Dec 2006, 22:39
Depends on many factors.

If you are a fat slug, you will not get much past 7 degrees of left-to-right slope, as your chubby leg will get in the way.

If the slope is right-to-left, the left skid hangs low anyway, a normal-sized you will get around 10 degrees. But when it gets a bit scary, slippery, lumpy-bumpy and wind-gusty, cut the slope back to 5 degrees or less.

And treat every landing as if it were a slope landing - nice and gentle, slowly down.

Aesir
24th Dec 2006, 23:16
I donīt think there is any prescribed LIMIT like in the limitations chapter for the 206 like the rigid rotorhead type helicopters have.

But of course there is a physical..(is that correct?) or actual limit like Ascend Charlie explains above.

bayou06
25th Dec 2006, 01:52
Aesir is correct. There is no slope limit in the B206 RFM. The limit is the controllability of the aircraft.

B Sousa
25th Dec 2006, 02:59
First Clue is mast bumping, next clue is the cyclic wont go any farther and your rolling over.

Just be careful and on the controls, you will find the limits easily.

helopat
25th Dec 2006, 03:12
Agree with you fellas on the whole.

BUT...there's always the absolute limit, the static rollover angle, where the aircraft will roll over if tipped past that point (ie a couple of robust young men decide to see if they can tip over a jet ranger).

I can't believe there isn't some sort of slope landing limit (not sure I agree that its something that doesn't apply to a teetering head)...obviously the limit of the controls is the major factor...but most aircraft I've flown have a limit which keeps dolts like me from getting too close to the ABSOLUTE limit (whatever it may be) and tipping the old girl over by accident.

HP

charron
25th Dec 2006, 05:47
RFM has nothing in the limitations section. 407 does but not the 206 series. The limitation on the 407 and other rigid rotor systems has to do with mast stress and lifetime of components (like the Vne on an S 76), not any physical limitation.

I agree with Sousa: way back in your initial license training for all pilots is the sloping ground exercise. You work at steeper and steeper slopes until you run out of cyclic (either left or right , fore or aft) before you get both skids on the ground. Assuming you haven't got mast bumping yet, that is your limit - you don't have to look it up.

Treat every landing like a slope landing - slow. And don't commit until you get both skids on - good technique and you won't get into trouble in the rest of your career.

charon

Hoveronly
25th Dec 2006, 17:19
Thanks for the input chaps. Hmm, it is as I guessed, suck it and see. Personally I like the idea of set limits as these act as a guide to us.

Fraid its down to some natty tap dancing on the pedals and legs apart work then!

Bob

B Sousa
25th Dec 2006, 18:24
Further consider if someone told you the lateral limits were 8 degrees, you think you could judge that?? Same in all of them that give you numbers, most people cant judge the degree of slope, but have to land s l o w l y and if they incur no mast bumping etc then they are less than the limits..