PDA

View Full Version : Another Question

Mo91
23rd Dec 2006, 15:31
I'm sorry about this moderator...I keep starting new threads but being the keen young aviation enthusiast I am...I have a lot of questions. This particular thread is just to clarify something I have wanted to know for a long time.
I was just looking on Aer Lingus' website today and found this:
PilotApplications are now being sought from rated and non-rated first officers. Priority will be given to those applicants who hold a current A320 type rating and have at least 500 hours on type and 1000 hours in total.

1) Please may I have a definition of a Direct Entry Pilot
2) Where it says "500 hours on type and 1000 hours in total"...does this mean that you need 500 hours on the A320 and the other 500 can be on any other aircraft...be it as light as a Cessna?

Responses would be as welcome as ever...and thank you in advance.
Wishing you all a very merry Christmas and all the best for the new Year

Superpilot
23rd Dec 2006, 17:08
1.) A Direct Entry Pilot - The word 'Direct' is used here simply to clarify one aspect, which we take for granted with most other jobs. That is to say that there is no middle man involved and that the contract of employment is between the airline and the pilot. There is no third party agency involved and the pilot has not been put forward by a training organisation such as a flight school or type rating provider etc. If the last two conditions are true then it's likely that a DIRECT Entry pilot will be suitably qualified for the job, i.e. have the correct aircraft type rating and a whole lot of hours on type.

2.) You're correct.

Mo91
23rd Dec 2006, 17:27
Thanks alot pal...much appreciated

smith
25th Dec 2006, 12:15
I think the answer is wrong. Direct entry usually refers to captains and means they can join the new company directly as a captain and do not need to join as a first officer and get seniority within the company.

Mo91
25th Dec 2006, 12:18
I think the answer is wrong. Direct entry usually refers to captains and means they can join the new company directly as a captain and do not need to join as a first officer and get seniority within the company.
Ok...thanks...all responses are appreciated...merry christmas and all the best for the new year