PDA

View Full Version : Correct seat position and eye level

JulieFlyGal
23rd Dec 2006, 11:54
Hiya peeps,

I've just started my CPL training and now moving on to flying bigger and better aircraft (.. don't laugh ... C172!!:p ). Anyways, I'm a bit of a shortie ..(160 CM) in height and sometimes have trouble getting the right perspective when looking out for the correct attitude for some (but not all) manoeuvres due to my being vertically challenged in the cockpit. My instructor has suggested sitting on cushions, but I'm wondering whether this will affect my flying if, for example, in the future, I don't have access to cushions. How I perceive the correct nose attitude will no doubt be infuenced by my eye level and if this is continuosly changing, then will it make it harder for me to fly on attitude?

Your thoughts on this matter will be greatly appreciated. :)

Blinkz
23rd Dec 2006, 12:04
Hey,
Making sure you have the right eye height (or at least keeping it constant between flights!) is very important. Without it then as you have said you won't get the right perspective and that can lead to all sorts of trouble, mainly in my experience with landing. There is nothing wrong with using cushions, I know a number of vertically challenged pilots who have their own cushions and use them when needed. The main thing you need to do is find what works for you, so you feel comfortable and can get on with the flying. Good luck with your training! :ok:

redsnail
23rd Dec 2006, 13:11
I used an extra cushion for years. It may look funny but not as funny as stuffing up a landing or 3. With the more "sophisticated*" aircraft the seats are much more adjustable and you won't need your cushion.

You need a consistant point as reference to make good progress with landings and so on.

(*ie Bandeirante, Twotter, Dash 8 and bigger/faster)

BigAl's
23rd Dec 2006, 17:03
Ditto previous posts.
Had real trouble landing a certain PA28 in the fleet, the one without the adjustable height seat. One instructor picked up on it and gave me a cushion they keep for that a/c. Worked a treat, landings went back to normal :E!!!:}

I'm average height 5'10", and fairly old fashioned!! :bored:. :ok: