PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Cook

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Mr @ Spotty M
23rd Dec 2006, 08:53
It was announced yesterday that KarstadtQuelle AG has brought the 50% that Lufthansa owned in Thomas Cook AG, for €800 million.
The same time Lufthansa is increasing it's share in the airline Condor to 24.9%, which KarstadtQuelle can buy back in two years.
This might now make Thomas Cook the favourite in the sale of parts of the First Choice group.:ok:

beardy
23rd Dec 2006, 15:48
Not really a new owner since KarstadtQuelle already own the other 50%. I believe that Thomas Cook own Condor hence Lufthansa used to own 50% of that too, but will now only have 24.9%. Lufthansa is set to acquire Condor's 50 % stake in Sun Express.

Thomas Cook UK MD is now CEO of Thomas Cook AG. First Choice may not be the only target.

Mr @ Spotty M
23rd Dec 2006, 21:52
beardy
Yes you are correct, l should have said New Controller of Thomas Cook as they used to share ownership.
Condor was owned by both companies and still is for at least two more years.
Lufthansa currently owns 10% of Condor, but had a very large say on the running of the airlines in the group.
Now that the airlines can get on with what is best for them and not what is best for Lufthansa.:ok:

airhumberside
20th Jan 2007, 09:28
Are Thomas Cook starting long haul flights from UK regional airports. Adverts have appeared in local press for HUY-Dominican Republic and DSA-Brazil

Leodis
20th Jan 2007, 11:29
Are Thomas Cook starting long haul flights from UK regional airports. Adverts have appeared in local press for HUY-Dominican Republic and DSA-Brazil

I noticed one in the Yorkshire Evening Post yesterday avertising Cuba direct from LBA this summer. The advert included the airport logo. Surely this is a mistake?:hmm:

SWBKCB
12th Feb 2007, 06:23
BBC News announcing that these two tour operators to merge - Thomas Cook to have 52%. Subject to relevent regulatory approvals.

PPRuNe Towers
12th Feb 2007, 06:25
Thomas Cook - My Travel merger announced on BBC in last couple of minutes if my ears don't deceive.

IB4138
12th Feb 2007, 06:35
A little bit more:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30400-1251132,00.html

ecj
12th Feb 2007, 06:56
First Choice were also in discussions with TC. The marriage is off.

Standard Noise
12th Feb 2007, 07:10
And according to SKY, the new company is going to be 10% larger than you would expect!

"Thomas Cook will own 62% of the new company while MyTravel's shareholders will own the remaining 48%."

The rest of the holiday package industry had better watch out.:rolleyes: Mind you, if they bought First Choice, then their shareholders could have the other 35% of the company!

Duff beer
12th Feb 2007, 07:27
The BBC's article makes a little more sense:
here it is
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6353023.stm

Aranmore
12th Feb 2007, 09:19
MERGER OF MYTRAVEL GROUP PLC AND THOMAS COOK AG TO CREATE A LEADING INTERNATIONAL LEISURE TRAVEL COMPANY.

The boards of MyTravel and KarstadtQuelle are pleased to announce that they have agreed the terms of a recommended merger of MyTravel and Thomas Cook. The parent company of the Enlarged Group will be named Thomas Cook Group plc, headquartered in the UK and listed in London. The Merger is expected to create significant value for shareholders.
- The Enlarged Group will have leading positions in the UK & Ireland, Germany, Scandinavia, Benelux, France and Canada. The Enlarged Group will also benefit from a portfolio of excellent brands, an experienced management team with a proven track record and a diverse geographic spread, which together will provide a strong platform for growth.
- MyTravel and Thomas Cook believe that the annualised pre-tax cost benefits arising from a combination of the businesses will be at least £75 million per annum once the full benefits of the Merger are realised.
- The terms of the Merger will result in the Enlarged Group being 52 per cent. owned by KarstadtQuelle and 48 per cent. owned by the shareholders of MyTravel (calculated on a fully diluted basis).
- The Enlarged Group will be led by a board drawn from MyTravel, Thomas Cook and KarstadtQuelle, complemented by additional independent non-executive directors. The audit, remuneration and nomination committees will be chaired by independent non-executive directors. The Board will be independent of KarstadtQuelle and will include a strong and experienced executive management team.
- The Enlarged Group will be chaired by Thomas Middelhoff, CEO of KarstadtQuelle and Chairman of Thomas Cook, deputy chaired by Michael Beckett, Chairman of MyTravel, and managed on an interim basis by Joint Chief Executives Peter McHugh, Chief Executive of MyTravel, and Manny Fontenla-Novoa, Chief Executive of Thomas Cook.
- The Merger will be effected through the acquisition by NewCo of both MyTravel and Thomas Cook (MyTravel by means of a scheme of arrangement). It is expected that the Merger will be completed by June 2007.
- The Merger is conditional on the approval of MyTravel Shareholders. Shareholder approval will be sought at the Court Meeting and the Extraordinary General Meeting to be convened in due course. The directors of MyTravel intend unanimously to recommend to MyTravel Shareholders that they vote in favour of the Merger, as they intend to do in relation to their own shareholdings.
- In addition, the Merger is conditional on, among other things, competition clearances and completion of the transaction between KarstadtQuelle and Lufthansa pursuant to which KarstadtQuelle has agreed to acquire the 50 per cent. of Thomas Cook which it does not already own, which is itself conditional only on EU anti-trust clearance and the approval of Lufthansa's Supervisory Board.
- As a result of agreeing the Merger, MyTravel and KarstadtQuelle have agreed not to pursue any competing transaction.
Commenting on today's announcement, Michael Beckett, Chairman of MyTravel said:
"This transaction gives MyTravel shareholders the opportunity to participate in the significant value creation being offered by industry consolidation. Thomas Cook is a household name and the joining of the two groups will create an even stronger force in this highly competitive market. The Enlarged Group, which will be based in the UK and listed in London, will benefit from a strong and independent board and an experienced executive team. The new team is committed to realising significant benefits for the shareholders of the Enlarged Group".
Thomas Middelhoff, CEO of KarstadtQuelle and Chairman of Thomas Cook said:
"We are delighted to see the merger of two such well established industry players which we are sure will achieve significant value creation for us as shareholders from this geographically diverse portfolio of companies. We look forward to being a long-term, committed investor in the Enlarged Group.
The Thomas Cook team is looking forward to building and growing the Enlarged Group together with the MyTravel team. The combined organisations will offer customers unrivalled choice and quality for their holiday and leisure time in all of the markets in which we operate."
This summary should be read in conjunction with the full terms of the following announcement. Appendix II contains definitions of certain terms used in this summary and the following announcement.
A meeting for analysts and investors will be held today at 9.00am for 9.30am at The Lincoln Centre, 18 Lincoln's Inn Fields, London WC2A 3ED.

Aranmore
12th Feb 2007, 09:24
More Accurately .....
Thomas Cook buys MyTravel !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Monday, February 12, 2007
By Tom Williams
Thomas Cook has bought MyTravel in a surprise 11th-hour deal which ends months of wrangling between Cook, MyTravel and First Choice and will create the UK’s biggest mainstream tour operator.
The Cook-MyTravel deal was signed in the early hours of this morning as Cook negotiations with First Choice over the sale of First Choice’s Mainstream Holidays division were still ongoing. Cook group chief executive Manny Fontenla-Novoa is thought to have called First Choice chief executive Peter Long shortly afterwards to inform him of the decision.
Under the terms of the deal Cook AG’s parent company KarstadtQuelle will get 52% of a new UK-based company listed on the London stock exchange. MyTravel shareholders will have 48% of the new company, which would be called Thomas Cook PLC.
KarstadtQuelle CEO and Cook chairman Thomas Middelhoff will chair the new group, while MyTravel chairman Michael Beckett will be deputy chairman. MyTravel chief executive Peter Mchugh will be joint chief executive with Fontenla-Novoa on an interim basis.
The merger will be completed by June of this year and will bring together MyTravel brands such as Airtours, shop chain Going Places and Direct Holidays with Cook brands, Thomas Cook Signature and Neilson.
MyTravel and Thomas Cook expect to save at least £75 million in costs each year once the merger is complete. Early indications are that this will involve job losses.
The move comes nearly three weeks after Thomas Cook denied it was considering a takeover of MyTravel. The group had insisted that it had not indicated at a City lunch that a deal with MyTravel was on the cards (TTG January 26).

EGCC4284
12th Feb 2007, 10:39
http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30400-1251132,00.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6353023.stm

http://www.mytravelgroup.com/media/merger.pdf

bmibaby.com
12th Feb 2007, 13:00
To me, this merger makes sense on many different levels, and we've known for some time that the next round of industry consolidation between the package holiday companies was just around the corner. Keeping the Thomas Cook brand for both the airline, the tour operators (does this mean the end of the Airtours brand?) and the holiday shops was obvious given the well-known and respected brand of "Thomas Cook" compared to the fairly unknown moniker MyTravel. We should see a more healthy airline, operating fuller planes, getting rid of needless overlap etc. though it'll be interesting to see where planes will be based for S08, what the fleet with look like etc.

Down Three Greens
12th Feb 2007, 13:20
NOT FOR RELEASE, DISTRIBUTION OR PUBLICATION IN OR INTO AUSTRALIA,
CANADA, JAPAN OR THE UNITED STATES OR ANY OTHER JURISDICTION WHERE IT IS UNLAWFUL TO DO SO

Might be worth removing the link to the mytravel.pdf document don't you think?

Stall-Warner
12th Feb 2007, 13:45
The OFT may well take a close look at this one on the grounds of concerns over an oligopoly position.
:ugh:

jethro15
12th Feb 2007, 13:49
Yup, I had to look it up as well

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oligopoly

Altostratus
12th Feb 2007, 14:59
So what happens to First Choice now??

RoyHudd
12th Feb 2007, 15:35
:E They become Last Choice, I guess.

The Islander
12th Feb 2007, 15:40
.. nothing my friend. The First Choice Board have just announced that they have terminated talks about the possible sale of Mainstream. One fact lost on the masses is that they never put the division up for sale. Once MYT approached with an offer they had to be seen jumping through the hoops as far as the City was concerned. I'm sure if the money was right it would have been sold, but the Management said from the start that FCH was in a position of strength and didn't need to do anything. This wasn't the case for the likes of MYT.
Regards
Relieved Airbus FO!

fmgc
12th Feb 2007, 16:23
I think that the new company should be called "My Thomas".

:* :*

Bad Robot
12th Feb 2007, 16:26
I take it then that this has effectively put the Kybosh on all recruitment for this year?:{

BR.

Brae_Cwynd
12th Feb 2007, 16:45
I would like to think that The Islander is correct that nothing will happen to First Choice. But what happened to the exit stategy that Peter Long had planned for himself? Everything is for sale - at the right price. Further rationalisation of the tour operating market is almost inevitable. I don't think the play is over yet - and what about those juicy delivery slots on the 787?
BC

PS Like the idea of My Thomas but what about Thomas Travel or My Cook?

overstress
12th Feb 2007, 17:08
I think that the new company should be called "My Thomas".

Well I think it should be called either 'My Cook' or 'Thomas Travel'

Good luck with the merging of the seniority lists, chaps :uhoh:

TOPFLIGHT
12th Feb 2007, 17:10
The Islander said :I'm sure if the money was right it would have have been sold, but the Management said from the start that FCH was in a position of strength and didn't need to do anything. This wasn't the case for the likes of MYT.
????? the likes of Myt ??? Myt is in good health...no debt and a very streamline operation ! A merger makes sense for the industry..but you now say your a relieved F/o Islander...what happens to FCA now if they cant sell the short haul business as they are now the smallest of 3 major tour ops ? and the share price is down 40p !

westie
12th Feb 2007, 17:19
Topflight, oh come on dont make me laugh, MYT had not made a profit until this year so how could they possible be in good health. An as for FC? well yes they are smaller compared with the new company but nothing changes, in fact it could be argued that with the forthcoming redundancies and slimming down of the new company FC could be in a better position as margins wont be quite so tight and less holidays overall in the market place. TCX has taken on a company and more importantly the directors who couldn't make a profit if it stared them in the face.

goldeneye
12th Feb 2007, 17:26
Just to clarify this is a merger not a buyout.

Nearly Man
12th Feb 2007, 17:30
Would be nice if TC and MT could get it on and squeeze FC until the pips squeak!

Duff beer
12th Feb 2007, 18:14
Correct, this is a merger, TC are not taking over MYT.

Do you really think TC's banks and accountants would allow them to join with a lame duck.
MYT are a slick operation now; the best charter airline for OTP, lowest costs and are making money. More importantly they have a huge turnover, and profit making arms in North America and Scandinavia.
The fact that they have upto £1 billion for expansion burning a hole in their trousers shows how strong they are. Only now they have doubled their size without spending a penny.

TOPFLIGHT
12th Feb 2007, 18:20
Well said Duff Beer...westie, read Duffs post..spot on.

Capt's Little Helper
12th Feb 2007, 18:20
Nearly Man
Would be nice if TC and MT could get it on and squeeze FC until the pips squeak!

Didn't get past the first stage of the application Nearly Man?

CentreFix25
12th Feb 2007, 19:30
The way i'm reading it the Thomas Cook brand will be retained, so My Travel Airways will be absorbed into Thomas Cook. Does that seem about right?

Lite
12th Feb 2007, 20:00
As far as I can tell from the initial press release, this is a merger, not a buyout, with Thomas Cook's parent company taking on a majority shareholding, with MyTravel's shareholders taking on the remaining part. The company is using the Thomas Cook brand because it is more established, so would imagine that this would extend to the airline and to the travel agencies.

Nearly Man
12th Feb 2007, 20:07
Craps little helper, my vendeta runs a bit deeper than that!

AJWTCX
12th Feb 2007, 21:44
Sounds a good move to me, Thomas Cook have been in need of an expansion, MYT have been scrapping along but slowly building.

Any idea when the deal will finally be sealed?

bmibaby.com
12th Feb 2007, 22:16
I think the initial press release stated that they intend for the deal to be sealed by June.

AJWTCX
12th Feb 2007, 23:23
I thought that was the date when everything would be up and running, ie flying as TCX with the tcx livery on the aircraft etc.

Wont they be signing on the dotted line before then?

Jonty
13th Feb 2007, 07:27
It needs regulatory approval, and this is not to happen untill end of June. Nothing is going to happen untill the autum at the earliest, and it will take about 2 years untill the companys are fully intergrated.

It is being called a merger, but most of the top management positions are to be taken by TCX managers, Karlstat is the majority share holder (52%) and the combined company is to be called Thomas Cook Group PLC. Read into that what you will, but it doesnt sound much like a merger to me. Also the share holders of MYT have had to give assurances of credit and bonding which TCX has demanded.

I get the feeling this summer is going to be a bad one for both airlines!

jonesthepilot
13th Feb 2007, 08:07
Jonty, please elaborate on why you think the summer is going to be bad for both airlines. You appear to have plucked that one out of thin air. Surely this summer is already cast in a tablet of stone and should run as planned. Maybe next summer will be a better one for TCX as they learn the MYT methods for excellent OTP and in flight service!! This summer though, will see very few, if any additional changes for either airline.

Jonty
13th Feb 2007, 09:18
Because both airlines rely on people going the "extra mile" to keep going, crewing doing extra shifts, ops doing overtime along with engerneering, cabin and flight crew doing all they can to maintain high levels of performance and service. With so many facing redundancy in the winter, especially in ops and crewing, how many do you think are going to go that "extra mile"? Especially as Thomas Cook has, rather cynically, just reduced its redundancy benefits.

Also, with people now fearing for their jobs a rash of resignations is expected over the coming summer, putting even more pressure on an already demoralised and over stretched work force.

AJWTCX
13th Feb 2007, 09:38
Firstly, TCX i believe did win the OTP award a couple of years ago.

As for redundancies, cabin crew and pilots are unlikly to be affected, lots of summer cabin crew are only temps and will still be needed - theres still going to be the same number of aircraft.

The redundancies will be made in the travel agents etc

TOPFLIGHT
13th Feb 2007, 10:56
According to a report in the Independant they will also shed aircraft ???

Brae_Cwynd
13th Feb 2007, 11:03
From Duff Beer
Correct, this is a merger, TC are not taking over MYT
From AJWTCX
- there's still going to be the same number of aircraft
Well maybe. But here's a couple of quotes from todays newspapers.

"It's being presented as a merger but Thomas Cook is clearly in the driving seat"

" ...but analysts reckon that many of the £75m savings will come from cutting six of its 97 aircraft..."

Time to take off the rose tinted spectacles?
BC

AJWTCX
13th Feb 2007, 12:03
97 aircraft??????

Plus, TCX were already getting rid of a few A320's, ironically of course selling one to MYT....

Thomas_Cook_757-300
13th Feb 2007, 12:22
Firstly, TCX i believe did win the OTP award a couple of years ago.

Correct! That was a few years ago and since then they have managed to forget everything they knew in relation to their On Time Everytime approach to things; although they did pull it back last Summer but still lagged 6 mins behind MyTravel on average delay and 12 percentage points behind MYT for OTP.

but analysts reckon that many of the £75m savings will come from cutting six of its 97 aircraft

I don't think anything has been released into the press to that effect and is most likely the media doing what they do best; Sexing things up!. If aircraft are to go, I could see them transferring to MyTravel Airways A/S.

The majority of job losses will be formed where there is duplication of Travel Agents in towns and cities. This will likely fall on the lowest turn over unit or those with the highest price leases. In relation to any agents loosing jobs, MyTravel will likely offer them Home Working positions as it is currently establishing the Going Places For You network. Anyone affected by store closures in the past has been offered this as an alternate to taking redundancy.

If MyTravel Airways does become Thomas Cook Airlines in the UK, I just can't see the same happening in Northern Europe. The UK is used to change, for the example, the four name changes Britannia will have had by 2008. Britannia, TUI Branding, Thomson, Thomsonfly, TUIfly. However look at what happened when TC they tried to change Condor to Thomas Cook Airline; it didn't work and they subsequently they reverted back to the Condor name. MyTravel is an extremely powerful name and brand in Northern Europe where Thomas Cook is relatively unknown. DK wins award after award so I doubt this is going to be something TC want to mess with if the past has taught them anything!

The MyTravel name has been gaining a lot of momentum in the UK and has become the number 3 most popular online travel website in the UK behind Thomson and Expedia and was recently been awarded eSuperbrand status. The logo and title “Part of MyTravel Group” has recently been applied to all the groups brochures and the feeling amongst my customers is that the MyTravel name is well associating with excellent OTP and good service. I can’t see the brand disappearing all together just because they are merging with Thomas Cook; at least not online if anywhere.

Thomas_Cook_757-300

finding_nema
13th Feb 2007, 12:29
Might those six aircraft be MyTravel's three Airbus A321 aircraft, and the pair of Boeing 767s, plus one other?

richxby
13th Feb 2007, 12:39
New airline should be called something like

"My Thomas Cook Travel" lol

Oh and no doubt it will be another expensive new paint scheme!! Orange, blue, yellow and white, not a good look!! Sure there will be many colourful combinations before all the fleet are done!!

Hope there's not too many job losses though, would say none but I doubt that!

jonseagull
13th Feb 2007, 13:21
Brae Cwyn said:
and what about those juicy delivery slots on the 787?
They aren't juicy delivery slots.
They are First Choice Airways firm orders for 8 Boeing 787's as European launch order customer for the Dreamliner and global launch customer for the GENX engine.
Roll on Feb 2009. :D

Brae_Cwynd
13th Feb 2007, 14:06
Whoops! Think I might have touched a nerve or three!

Don't want to be pedantic jonseagull, but don't firm orders all come with delivery slots - juicy or otherwise?

I think that you just proved my point. As "European launch order customer etc etc", does that alone not make First Choice a potential takeover target?

Neither of us know the answer (well I don't) so we shall have to wait and see.

BC

Wipeout
13th Feb 2007, 14:37
Not sure who'd bid now though - TCX and MYT will be too busy bonding, and the resultant frankensteins creation will be too large to buy FCA without escaping the attention of some mergers and monopolies bods. Surely.

RoyHudd
13th Feb 2007, 15:01
No fleet reduction will take place in the short-term, due to existing committments for summer programmes and lease cancellation costs. Speculation on this topic is naive. Ultimately fleet expansion looks more likely, assuming the objectives of the merger are achieved.

Whitehatter
13th Feb 2007, 15:20
Jethro has the two MYT 767s being disposed in 4Q 2007 as an update. Maybe Monarch could be in for those whilst they await their own 787s.

I was talking to a couple of ex-MYT people last night and they hadn't heard anything as yet re their shares. I'd agree about speculation at this point being futile, although one good point made was that the full deal should leave the combined group free of net debt after ongoing disposals.

It'll be interesting to watch as they have at least five or six strong brands in the new company. Hopefully no wholesale TUI style of destruction on them.

Altostratus
13th Feb 2007, 15:44
The ISLANDER wrote
"Once MYT approached with an offer they had to be seen jumping through the hoops as far as the City was concerned"

.......The fact is this was the 3rd attempt by MYT (Airtours) to buy First choice and I think it is misguided to suggest that First choices' management were just playing ball to appease the city. The last two attempts were actively opposed by Peter Long (First choice CEO) last one was in 1999.

Given the shrinking Package holiday market, Peter Long is keen to off load the least profitable section of First Choice before it becomes a liability and the bid war between MYT and TCX bumped up the price nicely...not anymore. Best of luck ;)

What does this do?
13th Feb 2007, 19:52
re: naming of the new company. My Cook, Thomas Travel et all.

You seem to be forgetting that they HAVE taken bits of each companies existing name.
They took the "Thomas Cook" bit from Thomas Cook, and the "Plc." bit from MyTravel Plc., to get the new name - Thomas Cook Plc.......!!!!!

:D ;) :)

Gordon_uk3
13th Feb 2007, 21:05
A possible choice of name could relate to their new caterers
Thomas, My Travel Cook
Sorry couldn't resist
:O :O

fmgc
14th Feb 2007, 13:41
I appreciate that that this is of no consolation to those involved, but a consolidation in the Inclusive Tour market and charter airlines is really what the indursty needs.

The package holiday market has been creaking at the seems for some time now and this conolidation will hopefully ease the pressure in the market and hopefully nobody will now go belly up.

iain8867
14th Feb 2007, 17:17
Thomas Cook 757-300

I agree that the MyTravel name has grown since the big, it's going to fold, scandal. The airline is known now for it OTP see http://www.flightontime.info/summer2006/index.html nice to see Thomas Cook 2nd place, not too much work there to keep to the top :)
It would be nice if the MyTravel name was kept somewhere that it was still in the UK publics view, but hey we will have to wait and see.:confused:

RoyHudd
15th Feb 2007, 07:55
I jumped the gun! MYT will be shedding a/c, Flight Deck, Cabin Crew, and so will TCX....according to the "new" management's information announced yesterday. I was guilty of optimism, rather wrapped up in the hope of keeping my own job. DOH! :ugh:

Tigger4Me
15th Feb 2007, 08:06
Is this "management information" in the public domain yet RoyHudd or only available internally.

A worried TC employee.

Duff beer
15th Feb 2007, 08:34
jumped the gun! MYT will be shedding a/c, Flight Deck, Cabin Crew, and so will TCX....according to the "new" management's information announced yesterday. I was guilty of optimism, rather wrapped up in the hope of keeping my own job. DOH!

Yep, come on Roy. Is this confirmed fact or speculation. I flew with management the other day and was told there are no plans whatsoever (at the mo) for fleet reductions.

RoyHudd
15th Feb 2007, 09:29
Of course nothing is fact until it happens. I am quoting recent internal spouting from the newly designated chief bean counter. Until a detailed Strategic Plan is developed, which will take a few weeks, I imagine no plans for redundancies will be announced. I am endeavouring to be realistic, not alarmist, and am led to understand that complacency in the pilot work force would nevertheless be inappropriate. It is conceivable that no flight deck jobs will be lost, despite the content of premature announcements of Mr. Jobsworth, or whatever his name is. Logic dictates otherwise.

Having lost my flying job 3 times in 10 years through absolutely no fault of my own, I have simply removed the rose-tinted glasses. Wishful thinking is not much use in this environment.

Re-Heat
15th Feb 2007, 09:56
Roy,

I repeat my post from T&E. Calm down.

Bit early to say that there will be flight crew layoffs - see the deal release:

KarstadtQuelle, the Germany based retail firm, has agreed to merge its subsidiary Thomas Cook AG, the European travel group, with MyTravel Group plc, Thomas Cook’s UK based counterpart.
STRUCTURE
The merger will be carried out via a scheme of arrangement. My Travel Directors intend unanimously to recommend that shareholders vote in favour of the Scheme.
TERMS
Following the Merger, KarstadtQuelle, which has agreed to acquire all of the shares in Thomas Cook which it does not already own, will hold 52% of the Enlarged Group, with existing MyTravel Shareholders holding 48%.
The implied offer price based on MyTravel’s GBp238 closing price on 09-Feb-07, last trading day prior to the deal announcement, and Thomas Cook's estimated equity value of approximately GBP1.06bn (EUR1.6bn), is GBp 224 per each My Travel share.
It values the entire issued share capital of MyTravel at GBP 1.04 bn (EUR1.55bn).
The implied offer represents a discount of approximately 5.8% to My Travel's GBp 238 closing price on 09-Feb-07, the last trading day prior to the firm announcement of the offer.
BREAK UP FEE
KarstadtQuelle has agreed to pay MyTravel a termination fee of GBP10 m if the Merger Agreement is terminated in the circumstances other than a material adverse change in the business, financial or trading position or prospects of the Thomas Cook Group.
POST DEAL DETAILS
MyTravel and KarstadtQuelle have established a new company, NewCo, which will effect the Merger by acquiring each of MyTravel and Thomas Cook (MyTravel by means of a scheme of arrangement). The Merger is to be effected pursuant to a Merger Agreement between MyTravel, KarstadtQuelle and NewCo. NewCo will be named Thomas Cook Group plc and listed and headquartered in London
It is expected that completion of the Merger will take place by Jun-07.
The proposed Board of the Enlarged Group will be drawn from the boards of MyTravel, Thomas Cook and KarstadtQuelle, supplemented by additional independent non-executive directors to be appointed by the Board as soon as practicable. The proposed Board will be chaired, as Non-Executive Chairman, by Thomas Middelhoff (currently CEO of KarstadtQuelle and Chairman of Thomas Cook), with Michael Beckett (currently chairman of MyTravel) being appointed as Non-Executive Deputy Chairman.
The boards of MyTravel and Thomas Cook believe that the annualised pre-tax cost benefits arising from a combination of the businesses will be at least GBP 75m per annum once the full benefits of the Merger are realised. It is expected that the full synergies will be realised within 24-30 months of Completion.
MyTravel and KarstadtQuelle anticipate that the Enlarged Group will be in a position to pay, post Completion, a dividend in respect of the year ending 31 October 2007.
CONDITIONS
The offer is conditional on:
My Travel EGM approval
Completion of the sale of Luthansa’s 50% stake in Thomas Cook by 30-Apr-07.
Court approval
EC approval

Ranger1
18th Feb 2007, 22:55
Well as far as I can tell it is a good move all round! Not sure how it will all play at the end of the day as far as job loses go.

I can't buy all the rubbish in the papers, several years ago according to them and a few pundits on here I would be working for someone else now! Well still here. According to the papers TCX was buying FC last week now it appears they did not even look at the books. MYT spent four or five weeks looking at the books and walked away. Now we are in a merger with TCX.

All I can say is the future is bright! Thank god we will get rid of that terrible name and color scheme! :D

I have no doubt FC will be fine and suspect another merger or take over will occur in the next year or so! Uncertain times for staff in TCX and MYT but it had to happen and is a far better option for both groups than buying part of FC.

As to this being a take over or merger I really dont think it matters but it is a merger as fars as I can see. TCX is not a listed company in the UK, both operations are being merged into the new company. The name is a good choice!

iain8867
18th Feb 2007, 23:42
HI Ranger

How can you say that, the apron won't look the same without the Blue and Orange Birds :}

Fingers crossed for minimal job losses tho' TCX Manny (Who ever) said that the new group would possibly be looking at new oportunities in Moscow and the like, so fingers crossed even more that there will be no fleet reductions

Just funny that MYT were all out to get rid of the Boeing and now look lol :ugh:

Ranger1
19th Feb 2007, 08:50
iain8867

I think things have moved on since we wanted an all Airbus fleet. We are going much further these days and the Baby Bus does not do that as well as the Boeing. However, the 757 is getting very long in the tooth though still a fine aeroplane. My guess is long term one of the new generation 737's or the 787. Sadly at the moment they are hard to come by so I guess if Airbus gets its finger out it could be the A350. Either way I have the 757/767 on my licence and love flying vintage aeroplanes so happy whatever we fly. :ok:

Down Three Greens
19th Feb 2007, 15:50
A bit more clarity about the Merger

The merger will create a travel company with an annual revenue of £8bn, hopefully saving both groups a total of £75m a year. The new company, Thomas Cook Group, will be headquartered in the UK, trading shares in London using My Travel's current listing.

Instead of a reverse takeover by MyTravel, a new company was created that will buy both MyTravel and Thomas Cook, the former through a scheme of arrangement.

KarstadtQuelle, the German chain that owns Thomas Cook, will own 52 per cent of the new company. MyTravel shareholders will own the rest.

A precondition to the deal is that KarstadtQuelle buys the Thomas Cook shares that it does not already own from Lufthansa. On that transaction, which is currently awaiting EU antitrust clearance, Hengeler Mueller is advising Karstadt-Quelle and Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer is acting for Lufthansa.

MyTravel turned to a Slaughter and May team led by corporate partner William Underhill, competition partner Malcolm Nicholson and finance partner Roland Turnill. It is being advised by Credit Suisse and UBS.

Thomas_Cook_757-300
20th Feb 2007, 18:43
Manny Fontenla-Novoa gave an interview today and most notable statement was this:

Fontenla-Novoa also revealed that the merged group's airline name might be neither Thomas Cook or MyTravel. “It’s not a foregone conclusion that it will be one or the other. In Germany, all our planes are called Condor which is just an airline brand, but they have Thomas Cook on the tailfin,” he said.

Thomas_Cook_757-300

iain8867
20th Feb 2007, 19:51
Hey I have a great idea about the airline name:}

How about we keep MYT and then in the Orange Oval underneath MYT we have Part of the Thomas Cook group

Can you tell which name I want to keep :O

BYALPHAINDIA
20th Feb 2007, 21:52
I could see it becoming 'Condor UK' or maybe 'Thomas Cook Condor'

I don't think the MYT title will stay, I don't think everyone liked the re-branding of Airtours?

Regards.:ok:

RoyHudd
21st Feb 2007, 07:53
Why this obsession with possible names for the company? Surely jobs, t & c's, base closures, etc are the significant issues? Maybe its a form of denial. Or humour?

Oh well, it's an open forum, so keep on blathering on about funny airline names then............:ugh:

iain8867
21st Feb 2007, 16:04
RoyHudd

I agree T&C, redundancies et al are important, but what, at this moment can we do about them until the merger is finalised? I hope the union's are woking on it!

A bit of banter about airlines names is fun, relieves the stress over wondering what is going to happen!! Until we get more official information.:}

cpt hamna sheeda
22nd Mar 2007, 10:20
Because there is a lack off training capacity at Condor/Germany i will get my line training (B757) with TC-UK and will be stationed at Gatwick untill October. Can anyone tell me some things about culture and rostering etc.?

Thanks in advance

Paul

goldeneye
14th May 2007, 22:51
I was just looking at arrivals for YYZ and noticed that TCX and TS flights from Glasgow arrived at the same time, So did a bit of research and this has been filed with the Canadian DOT Link (http://www.cta-otc.gc.ca/rulings-decisions/decisions/2007/A/189-A-2007_e.html)

So looks like TS flight numbers are going to be on all TCX flights to Canada.
Does not look like its going the other way around with TCX on TS flights, But maybe im wrong.

iain8867
15th May 2007, 21:25
MYT and TCX are now able to operate as scheduled services with both code sharing with TS now

GW76
15th May 2007, 21:55
The TCX YYZ services have always operated as "scheduled" services.

Psr777
15th May 2007, 22:04
Thomas Cook (and Mytravel) have operated to Canada for a number of years for an independant tour operator called Canadian Affair. The flights TCX flew were TCX scheduled flights.
Last year, Canadian Affair was bought by Air Transat.
Just seems like a natural progression, Air Transat don't have enough seats in their fleet, so have continued with TCX and MYT to provide capacity. Interesting that MYT were not mentioned in the Code share. . . . :oh:

iain8867
17th May 2007, 05:18
"Interesting that MYT were not mentioned in the Code share. . . . "

MYT were named in the code share, we have a list of the codes including the TCX flights too, could be that we are upfront and acknowledge that TCX operate flights the same as we do

Psr777
17th May 2007, 18:13
Eh!
Clicking the link above does not provide any information about a code share with MYT. Did a bit of searching and yes, found it!
Nothing malicious in my post, thought it was interesting as MYT have as large a programme for Canadian Affair as TCX. That's all.
Not sure what you mean about being up front about stuff:confused:

iain8867
17th May 2007, 23:09
Sorry no offence intended with my last post, we were given a list about which flights were code share and who was operating them, so had a full list of TS, TCX and MYT

Evileyes
5th Jun 2007, 23:51
Several recent posts have been moved to the Passengers and SLF forum under the "Thomas Cook Questions" thread.

goldeneye
26th Jun 2007, 17:59
After the completion of the merger Thomas Cook Group Plc today announced that Thomas Cook Airlines & MyTravel Airways will be combined and operate under the (as expected) Thomas Cook Airlines brand, with its combined home in Hanger One at Manchester Airport. Commonwealth house (TCX's current home) will close.

AJWTCX
26th Jun 2007, 21:15
Does anyone have any ideas what the plans are for the aircraft? Will the MYT ones take the TCX livery and fly under the topjet callsign and name? Are there plans to sell any of the aircraft?

Will the MYT flights eventually all be scheduled as TCX flight numbers ?

mathers_wales_uk
26th Jun 2007, 21:35
What will happen with the handling of flights? e.g.

MYT use Servisair at CWL but when TCX have any diversions e.t.c. then Aviance handles them. Will this remain the same or will the handling agents change at the end of their current contract?

How long is left with the MYT handling contracts?

thanks

Tigger4Me
28th Jun 2007, 06:08
No idea about callsigns but apparently all aircraft will be in TCX livery.

Irish Grinch
1st Jul 2007, 21:10
All a/c will be in TCX livery by Summer 08

mathers_wales_uk
1st Jul 2007, 21:50
what about handling agents for the company?

I know that if TCX divert to CWL then Aviance handle them but MYT is currentlly being handled by Servisair

HH6702
2nd Jul 2007, 18:51
Anybody have a list of which aircraft will be based at which airports
Are there any bases going to have less

NCL for eg

TCX x2 757 and MYT x1 A320 this summer. does anybody know if this will be the same.

Twin Peaks
2nd Jul 2007, 19:28
No change AT ALL this year. AT ALL.

AT ALL

Call signs, Handling agents, uniforms, colour scemes......who cares...probably not even decided yet anyway, as there will be no changes AT ALL this year.
New management structure hasn't been announced yet , so why would anybody have decided about the bloody callsign?:ugh:

Ballymoss
2nd Jul 2007, 22:16
Maybe not today or tomorrow but, change is something there most certainly will be:=
As for the callsign, I doubt it will have anything to do with birds of prey:sad:
Rgds
The Moss:ok:

SFCC
3rd Jul 2007, 20:30
Right...one small middle management announcement today.
SS(MYT) is the DFO and SM(also MYT) is cabin services manager.
Looking good so far

Irish Grinch
5th Jul 2007, 00:03
That's Cabin Services Director.

Also Lucas Mollan (MYT) is Director of Engineering.

Target for completion of Airline merger is March '08. Until then the JAR OPS postholders for each airline will remian in place.

afterdark
3rd Sep 2007, 09:17
Is there any news yet about what aircraft will be staying or going particularly long haul when the two companies become one, also if there are any plans yet in place for what type of aircraft at which base.

SAM-EMA
3rd Sep 2007, 09:49
The 752's are staying, and apparently the A321s are to go to TCX, as well as the following A320s: G-VCED, G-BYTH, G-CRPH, G-OMYA and G-GTDL, with the rest apparently going onto SkyService. TCX are to have MYTs 4 A330s. Not sure about the MYTs 763s, but rumours are they to are going to SkyService, but I don't know for definate. I had the info from another forum.

SAM-EMA

TOPFLIGHT
3rd Sep 2007, 17:20
SAM-EMA - not sure where you get your info from but some bases will be Airbus eg EMA,BFS etc and 757's at others,eg GLA,NCL. The SSV 767 rumour aint correct either, 1, maybe 2 767's at MAN next summer.

OltonPete
3rd Sep 2007, 17:26
TOPFLIGHT

What about BHX?

Currently 2 x TCX 757's and 2 x MYT 320's

Also TCX is Aviance and MyTravel Swissport, I assume one of them is
going to be disappointed?

Pete

caaardiff
3rd Sep 2007, 17:38
Its the same situation at CWL. MYT are servisair, TCX (not based but diversions/charters) are Aviance.
I suppose MYT handling in MAN may expand and take on Thomas cooks business.

I had heard the 767's were going. Do they own them or are they leased?

Wodrick
3rd Sep 2007, 22:30
What about BHX?

Currently 2 x TCX 757's and 2 x MYT 320's

S08 = 3x 757

Is there any news yet about what aircraft will be staying or going particularly long haul when the two companies become one, also if there are any plans yet in place for what type of aircraft at which base. 5th July 2007 01:03

Yes the S08 basing plan is out

SAM-EMA you need a new source

OltonPete
3rd Sep 2007, 22:42
Wodrick

Cheers, not looking good for 2008 for BHX with the expected loss of the TOM 762 to at least to a 757 and now the TCX/MYT currently at 235+235+180+180 down to 235 x 3.

Quite a drop unless it is made up by more rotations as quite a few days there are only 4 sectors for the existing aircraft (except Saturdays) but it is a reducing market and it could be worse.

Pete

SAM-EMA
4th Sep 2007, 08:12
I apologise, but it was only what I read on another site.

Anyone have any idea, what is planned for EMA.

Cheers
SAM-EMA

Torque2
4th Sep 2007, 08:27
2 x A320's for the summer:)

SAM-EMA
4th Sep 2007, 08:35
Downsizing, same as we had a couple of years ago before the 752 came.
Is that the same for winter?

Thanks for that
SAM-EMA

Dragon tracker
4th Sep 2007, 08:50
Wodrik, you mentioned the S08 base plans are now out.

have you got any insight into how the land lies in the South West?
ie: what will be based at BRS and CWL

Wodrick
4th Sep 2007, 09:11
BRS W07 = 1 x A320 S08 = 2 x A320
CWL W07 = nil S08 = 1 x A321

10 DME ARC
4th Sep 2007, 10:37
How about NCL??

Bagmanlgw
4th Sep 2007, 11:50
Any idea what will be based at Gatwick and Manchester for Summer 2008 ?

Would expect some major changes ?

Any chance of the A330s/B767s doing more shorthaul ?

Wodrick
4th Sep 2007, 13:01
SS08

BFS 2 x A320
BHX 3 x B757
BRS 2 x A320
CWL 1 x A321
EMA 2 x A320
GLA 4 x B757; 1 x A330
LGW 3 x A320; 2 x A321; 3 x A330; 3 x B757
MAN 1 x A320; 1 x A321; 4 x A330; 6 x B757; 1 x B767
NCL 2 x B757
STN 1 x A320

1 x B767 unknown
and to save wear on fingers total 41

ROSSKi MYT
4th Sep 2007, 19:18
Does This Mean That All MYT Flights From Glasgow Wil Be On A TCX 757 Next Summer And All FCA Flights Be On A Tom Aircraft Next Summer?

GW76
4th Sep 2007, 20:20
If you read the posts, carefully this time, youll see there will be a TCX A330 at GLA, so no, all flight wont be on a 757.

ROSSKi MYT
4th Sep 2007, 20:25
Yeah I Saw That But Thats Long Haul I Was Meaning Europe.. Sorry Of It Wasnt Clear

mathers_wales_uk
16th Sep 2007, 17:05
Rumour i heard at CWL today is that Aviance is to take over missing baggage for MYT flights, and also Servisair are reducing their staffing numbers due to MYT going over to Aviance otherwise they will pull out?

I know that MYT will become TXC under TCX branded a/c but is this due to the fact TCX uses Aviance at CWL and they have majority stake (and perhaps they are not keen of Servisair at CWL)?

Please don't bite my head off as it's only what i heard and i'm just putting my logic into it.

caaardiff
16th Sep 2007, 17:28
Mather, as yet no-one knows what is happening at CWL.
TCX have the majority stake, however TCX are handled by a number of different handling agents throughout the country, including servisair.
MYT self handle in MAN, swissport in BHX, and everywhere else is Servisair, surely streamlining with one company is cheaper.

(and perhaps they are not keen of Servisair at CWL)?

What a load of c:ugh::}p
MYT are more than happy with servisair at CWL, with constant early departures as a results of very effiecient crew, a great working relationship between servisair and the crew, and Aviance ramp.
Servisair CWL are the 2nd best in the country for excess baggage for MYT, coming 2nd to i believe LGW (higher than their main base where they self handle in MAN)

As for servisair laying off staff, these are the temp staff that come and unfortunately go at the end of the season, not uncommon throughout the world?
MYT havent had a winter base for years at CWL so i find it unlikely they will close because of this, and as far as im aware, this is the busiest winter for Thomson flights in years.

Most handling agents throughout the country need to cut costs and save money, and in many airports, one agent handles the baggage for many others (GBS @ MAN & LGW) so this may be why Aviance may take over the baggage handling as it works well for both companies.

copeland1957
3rd Oct 2007, 20:59
Can anybody confirm what is happening with the Mytravel/Thomas Cook flights from Glasgow to Sanford next summer.

Over the last few months, Mytravel were selling Thursday & Saturday flights for the whole of the summer season with a Friday flight in May/June/Sept/Oct also going via Belfast.

However, the Thursday flight has been withdrawn from their website. Is this a temporary withdrawal pending a review of flights following the merger or it is a final decision and the flight will definitely be withdrawn for next year?

If they are basing an A330 in Glasgow, it will have a fairly light load on long haul flights next summer. Apart from the Saturday flight, I can only see Puerta Plata and Cancun as scheduled for the full season with the SFB via BFS and a Las Vegas flight operating for part of the season. Will it be used on any European routes or will it also be operating flights from another UK airport also?

merchant sailors
4th Oct 2007, 08:24
Airtours website is selling Cardiff to Orlando on Thursdays May - October.

not sure if this might be the gap you are talking about.

AMC330
10th Oct 2007, 21:10
I've had a similar experience with the MYT/TCX group websites whilst trying to book a honeymoon, flying MAN to CUN.
Flight days and airlines kept changing, websites varying wildly from one day to the next, not very confidence inspiring for how things might pan out next year!
However I made a price led booking through Direct Holidays, ending up on TCX234K next May. We've gone for the premium cabin but I'm confused as to what we'll get from the merged airline. I'm assuming it'll be an A330 but are the whole fleet going to have a uniform cabin format by then or is it going to be a case of getting either MYT or TCX interior depending how lucky we are on the day? I'm lead to believe the MYT set up to be much better?
Any thoughts from you guys on what we'll end up with next year?

A320fan
16th Oct 2007, 20:23
Anyone got any updates on the merger? After having a look through the Airtours/Direct Holidays websites some of their flights are TCX ones and other MYT ones, is this meaning that the airlines will not be fully merged in S08?
Thomas Cook are selling holidays for their flights that are listed as Thomas Cook flights on the MyTravel website but not the flights that are listed as MYT ones. e.g. Thomas Cook are selling flights to PMI from MAN on saturdays at 08.45 and 14.45 (both TCX flights) where as MyTravel companies are selling flights at 06.50 and 22.25 (both MYT flights) and a 14.35 flight (TCX)

(If any of that makes sense lol) I really want to try to get on a MYT flight next year but is it just the MyTravel websites that need updating to all flights to be op by TCX!?!?

Regarding MYT's northern europe operations (mytravel as) is this airline going to be branded Thomas Cook aswell as I understand Thomas Cook is unheard of in that area as MyTravel is their main brand. Any ideas?

GW76
16th Oct 2007, 20:54
So far Thomas Cook GLA long haul looks like this

Sanford - Friday Saturday
Cancun -Monday
Puerto Plata -Tuesday
Las Vegas - Wednesday (June/July)

HS-125
16th Oct 2007, 20:59
Hi All,

Could someone tell me which aircraft operates the TCX LGW-SSH flight's on a Sunday morning?

I'm flying TCX in November. Am I right in saying it's going to be a 757?

goldeneye
16th Oct 2007, 21:41
HS-125

TCX flights from LGW to SSH are operated by Boeing 757-200's

A320fan

The MyTravel tour operating system ATOP is getting transfered to Thomas Cooks TOS system hence the reason some of the flight numbers dont match or show TCX & MYT flight numbers. hope that clear some of it up.

Jamesair
16th Oct 2007, 22:32
Are there any long-haul flights planned out of NCL in Summer 08?

LBAlady
17th Oct 2007, 11:48
There has been a post on the LBA thread that TCX are baseing an aircraft there this summer?? Do you think there is any truth in it??

beardy
17th Oct 2007, 13:43
One A320 will be based at LBA summer 2008. Probably crewed from MAN.

firstchoice7e7
18th Oct 2007, 00:13
Re GLA Longhaul. Are the Canadian flights returning next year? A330 or 757?

airhumberside
18th Oct 2007, 09:26
Think Thomas Cook are doing all Canadian Affair's flying at GLA next year, or at least all the YYZ flights

Flightrider
18th Oct 2007, 11:27
I thought an Iberworld A320 was operating the LBA-based charter programme for Summer 2008?

goldeneye
20th Oct 2007, 21:25
Ive just got my copy of holiday brochure for Canada for a well know tour operator that uses TCX and TS for its flights to Canada, they are stating that the seat pitch on the A330's of TCX is going to be 33" for summer 2008. Can anyone confirm this, as i cant find anymore info on it anywhere else.

beardy
20th Oct 2007, 23:26
yes, it's true

probably

iain8867
21st Oct 2007, 12:40
As far as I have heard, as the MYT A330 A/C go into be painted into TCX colours, they are also fitting the cabin out with leather seats and taking out seats to increase leg room to 33" then the TCX longhaul fleet follow on, it should all be completed by March 08.

Another rumor (nice for the crew) is that on the longhaul fleet crew rest areas are going to be fitted, not sure when tho'

ADC2604
21st Oct 2007, 13:43
Such a shame the MYT A330s are being repainted.....:(

iain8867
22nd Oct 2007, 12:59
I know, won't be the same without the blue and orange birds about the ramp.:(

AMC330
23rd Oct 2007, 08:10
so by next May the MYT/TCX A330s will be all configured the same way with 33" pitch? That's a big step on I guess.

What about the premium cabin, how's that going to look? What's the pitch going to be in there?

iain8867
23rd Oct 2007, 17:47
haven't heard anything about the prem cabins as yet, but as the seats are wider there and the leg room more than 33" I don't know if it is going to change!

I think that the sservice is probably going to be upgraded tho'?

aidoair
24th Oct 2007, 14:23
The Thomas Cook longhaul service has already been upgraded for this summer. Extras such as free soft drinks in all classes and including alcoholic drinks in premium, free IFE headphones, newspapers and entry into VIP lounges when travelling plus and premium among other things. So i expect just the legroom to be increasing as then it will bring them on parr with the rest of the UK holiday airlines. I presume Monarch will follow soon in upgrading their longhaul product, they announced last winter that they were to increase legroom in economy to between 32" and 34" but i don't know what came of this?

Spotter LBA
24th Oct 2007, 15:47
I flew on both G-OJMB and G-OJMC only the other week from MAN to PUJ and the legroom is still the same and there are no complementary soft drinks in all the classes. All three of the current TCX A330 are due to have some rows taken out at some point this winter according to the cabin crew.

goldeneye
31st Dec 2007, 15:48
Does anyone know what is happening to the Boeing 767's, are they staying in the fleet and operating shorthaul, as all TCX longhaul flights are being operated by the A330. Are they being subleased, returned to leasor. Cant seem to find any definative answer on it.

BYALPHAINDIA
1st Jan 2008, 00:21
I think they are staying, A previous poster said that there will be 1 X LGW & 1 X MAN??

I would have thought it would have been more 'economical' to have an all Airbus or all Boeing fleet??

Happy New Year 2008.

Captain Caveman
1st Jan 2008, 19:47
We also have booked MAN-SFB for MAY 08 and the TCX Signature Brochures states 33in for Y class but nothing for the Premium. Flew AMM last year from NEMA and that was 36in in Premium. Have the cabin upgrades started and will the Premium have a new pitch, also what is the current premium pitch as this info varies as well, cannot find on the airline website.

Thanks in advance for any info

TOPFLIGHT
2nd Jan 2008, 10:47
The 2 767's are staying..short haul lines out of MAN..seats back to 326Y..and will be standby for the 330 on L/H when they fall over.
Not sure when seat pitch is changing on 330's but they are taking seats out to enable any 76 rescue.

goldeneye
2nd Jan 2008, 19:29
Seat pitch in premium is remaining as is 35".

The A330 will be ready with a 33" pitch by the end of april.
Economy will have 278 seats in Y.

Localiser Green
25th Jan 2008, 18:57
The Thomas Cook Airlines (including ex-MyTravel) fleet looks to be as follows for the summer 2008 season:

11 x A320
4 x A321
7 x A332
16 x B752
2 x B753
2 x B763
42 TOTAL

Does anyone know which aircraft will be based at which UK airports during the season? The base total list, according to the Thomas Cook Group, will be

12 x MAN
11 x LGW
5 x GLA
3 x BHX
2 x BFS
2 x BRS
2 x EMA
2 x NCL
1 x CWL
1 x LBA
1 x STN
42 TOTAL

Just wondering how the fleet will be distributed? Will any airport other than MAN/LGW get one of the A330's?

SAM-EMA
25th Jan 2008, 19:05
BFS 2 x A320
BHX 3 x B757
BRS 2 x A320
CWL 1 x A321
EMA 2 x A320
LBA 1 x A320
GLA 4 x B757; 1 x A330
LGW 3 x A320; 2 x A321; 3 x A330; 3 x B757
MAN 1 x A320; 1 x A321; 4 x A330; 6 x B757; 1 x B767
NCL 2 x B757
STN 1 x A320

It will look something like this, there maybe some slight differences for S08

SAM-EMA

goldeneye
5th Feb 2008, 20:48
Manchester will have both the 767's based there, with the two 757-300's being LGW based.

firstforfirstchoice
5th Feb 2008, 21:30
Will these B767's be doing short haul routes or long haul or a mixture a both this Summer from MAN??

goldeneye
5th Feb 2008, 22:14
767's are doing short haul, think they may be used for the odd longhaul if one of the A330 goes tech.

CentreFix25
31st Mar 2008, 19:15
What callsign is the merged/new airline using?

adam12345
31st Mar 2008, 19:22
There using "TopJet" until 9th April then using "Kestrel" from then on..:ok:

CentreFix25
31st Mar 2008, 20:12
Keeping the better one then, cheers.

Defruiter
9th Apr 2008, 14:27
Just driven along the M27 by Southampton airport and noticed a Thomas Cook 757 or 767 (couldn't tell which from where I was) on stand with air stairs against 4 doors. As far as I am aware, they dont fly to Southampton and I didnt even know something that big could land there! Anyone know why it's there?

Localiser Green
9th Apr 2008, 15:06
Anyone know why it's there?

G-FCLD, a 757-200. Came down from GLA this morning, heading back to GLA tomorrow morning. Don't know why though, must be a special charter.

ZIPLOBMAN
9th Apr 2008, 16:05
The Thomas Cook flight is in Southampton for a P and O conference, presume its brought lucky travel agents down to visit the new ship.

Defruiter
9th Apr 2008, 18:19
Makes sense - Thanks :)

goldeneye
9th Apr 2008, 18:42
The TCX 757 brought Top performing staff from Thomas Cook's shops and call centre to Southampton for a launch event for P&O's new ship Ventura.

Defruiter
9th Apr 2008, 21:00
Those "search light" type things I could see in the sky on my way home this evening were probably from the ship then I guess...Wondered what they were at first ;)

paarmo
9th Apr 2008, 23:00
Searchlights , Aircraft , Ships and Southhampton all in the same paragraph. It must be deja vu.

Spotter LBA
10th Apr 2008, 13:44
g-mljl a330 came down to bournemouth yesterday from man via ncl with travel agents on board. currently this ac is on its way back to man via ncl!

revo
10th Apr 2008, 16:26
I know TCX are meant to be using Kestrel as of today but i have just heard a TCX depart Birmingham as "TopJet 530K".

SFCC
10th Apr 2008, 18:40
Well he got the callsign wrong then.

Very difficult to chop and change callsigns in one's head, as many pilots and controllers found today.

Me included.:}

revo
10th Apr 2008, 18:56
Yeah maybe, the controller and pilot used Topjet and so did London Control when they were handed over.

goldeneye
16th Apr 2008, 14:59
Does anyone know it the original TCX A330's are going to be refitted with the downstairs toilets like the MYT A330's or are they remaining as is.

iain8867
16th Apr 2008, 17:06
goldeneye Does anyone know it the original TCX A330's are going to be refitted with the downstairs toilets like the MYT A330's or are they remaining as is.

The TCX 330's are going to be staying as they are with reguard to the Lower Deck Lavatories.

Luke0705
21st Apr 2008, 15:59
Go via Dalaman?? Just Dabolim is showing up on the Dalaman airport arrivals as a TCX flight :ooh:

ROSSKi MYT
21st Apr 2008, 16:32
What are TCX basing at GLA this summer?

SAM-EMA
21st Apr 2008, 16:58
GLA 4 x B757; 1 x A330

Hope this helps!
SAM-EMA

Toastal
21st Apr 2008, 19:20
Know this isn't the correct thread folks, but out of interest, does anyone know if TC will be recruiting flight crew this winter?

T:suspect:

goldeneye
25th Apr 2008, 20:54
Does anyone know the reason why Thomas Cooks Boeing 767 G-DAJC is painted in a hybrid livery, why is not painted in the full TCX paint scheme. This aircraft was in a hybrid when it was with MYT.

celso75
27th Apr 2008, 19:24
G-DAJC was due to be painted in full TCX livery but due to problems at Filton, got stuck outside the paintshop. By the time it did get into the paint shop they didn't have enough time to do the full livery.

sunshine79
27th Apr 2008, 22:02
Does anyone know what a/c type or even reg that'll be on the MAN-PFO route this Saturday, flight number TCX347K, departing at 1530?

Localiser Green
27th Apr 2008, 23:32
Does anyone know what a/c type or even reg that'll be on the MAN-PFO route this Saturday, flight number TCX347K, departing at 1530?

Boeing 757-200 scheduled to operate the flight.

spaul66
28th Apr 2008, 10:01
Was just wondering if anyone knows if all the refits have been done yet on the A330

diesel36
28th Apr 2008, 15:58
Think there is just one left to do,might even be in now getting done.

spaul66
1st May 2008, 16:52
Thats good then due to fly on one from man to cayo coco next week

OliWW
3rd May 2008, 15:36
Does anyone know when Thomas Cook are releasing there holidays for Summer 2009?

AlanSinfield
3rd May 2008, 21:32
If you mean the Thomas Cook Package holidays, then they are already on sale

Welsh Bobby
4th May 2008, 09:34
Does anyone know TCX long term plans for Cardiff?

We have a summer 08 based A321 and a part based ? for this winter canary flights- although disappointedly all mirroring the TOM ones(same day/times) so poor choice for us CWL loyalists looking for variety.
I can see the reasons ie merging flights with TOM if they dont sell but surely if they had operated the FUE on a saturday rather that a wednesday (as an example),it would have been much more attractive and I for one would have been on it!

diesel36
4th May 2008, 16:18
spaul66

Yes they are all done now.

ROSSKi MYT
21st May 2008, 17:50
Does anyone know why TCX keep changing the time of GLA-RHO TCX987k. It was originally 6:20am, then 4pm, then 7:30pm and now 8pm although tonight its leaving at 9:50pm. Iv not been told of the changed and was wondereing if anyone knows why?

CabinCrewe
21st May 2008, 22:35
Ive not been told
Why would they automatically tell you ?
The flight is scheduled to depart GLA at 8pm all summer.

StbdD
22nd May 2008, 04:55
Thomas Cook has a website with a customer support section and a list of telephone numbers.

Forgive the lateral thinking but..... why dont you ask THEM?

PPRuNe Pop
22nd May 2008, 06:02
.......and it would save the one line chat show that seems to grip some of you.

As the man says, there is such a thing as lateral thinking, which would also save us some bandwidth.

ROSSKi MYT
22nd May 2008, 10:39
The flight is scheduled to depart GLA at 8pm all summer

Resally, well why would the invoice say 16:30 and then a letter saying its changed to 19:30.??? My point, we have not been told of this change

why dont you ask THEM?
Do you not think i have, we wrote to them in March- No response, called them numerous time and they dont answer, emailed them and no response!!

excuse me for asking a question!!

StbdD
22nd May 2008, 13:38
Mate, if you are worried about the airline answering, or not answering, your questions and are depending on an anonymous website to do it for them...... tell the airline to fark off, take your money back, and walk away.

You aren't going to get a refund from anything said here. So yeah, I hold to my comment, ask THEM.

Pax-man
22nd May 2008, 22:34
Can anyone tell me why the TCX flight I took to Calgary from Manchester went via Gatwick... to collect 28 people??

Is this about keeping slots open or something, because it doesn't seem to make financial sense. With nearly 300 on board at MAN, why not bus the Gatwick passengers up north? Obviously more to it than I realise...

spaul66
24th May 2008, 10:14
There is still one a330 left to be converted had the joys of it going to cayo coco and then back to manchester two weeks latter must say its in pretty in need of the overhall as i was in premium gold and was really not woth the money the seat i was in on the way out the head phone jacks didnt work then on the way back the seat behind us the arm of the seat keepted falling off

goldeneye
24th May 2008, 18:56
Any ideas on what caused todays TCX 473K from Mamchester to Sanford to have such a massive delay. Was due to depart at 09:30 did not leave till 17:55.

Also looking at Sanford airports website, TCX are going to send the Glasgow aircraft on the manchester run back to UK, and delay the departure of the GLA until 11pm.

aidoair
24th May 2008, 19:08
Sorry don't know what caused the delay but i know that Thomas cook along with other UK charter airlines swap their aircraft at Sanford for there return flights back to the UK for utilisation reasons etc... so unfortunately looks like the GLA passengers have took the brunt of the inbound delay.

spaul66
25th May 2008, 00:49
pretty much all the tcx out of man today seem to be suffering from a delay tcx154k to faro is another big delay due toleave at 07:20 now due out 3:10.

RingwaySam
25th May 2008, 03:30
Seems TCX got hold of a Orbest A332 (Iberworld) to operate the Faro flight. It routed Lisbon - Faro - Manchester - Faro though - I've also noticed alot of bad delays/cancellations over the past few days. Is it just the one aircraft that has caused all the problems?

dada
25th May 2008, 07:41
Probably Because Of The Inexperienced Ops Team Running A Afleet Of 42 A/c.

Litebulbs
25th May 2008, 08:06
Planes go tech and no amount of experience in op's can stop that. The last time I saw a weekend like this, it was trying to make an operation work with the whole fleet of Yellow Dog Tristars fecked, all at once.

dada
25th May 2008, 09:44
planes do go tech and its the experience in the ops room that can effect an efficient speedy recovery............

OliWW
25th May 2008, 10:34
Departures
Sat
TCX154K 07:20 Faro Departed 03:57
TCX056K 16:50 Fuerterventura 09:45

Sun
TCX135K 06:00 Monastir Delayed 20:55

Arrivals
Sat
TCX154L 14:40 Faro, Arrived 01:44

Sun
TCX056L 02:35 Fuerterventura, Cancelled
TCX135L 14:05 Monastir, Expected 04:50

Whats caused these delays, they seem to be on the same aircraft as well...

CabinCrewe
25th May 2008, 22:18
"Whats caused these delays, they seem to be on the same aircraft as well..."
Havent you just answered your own question...?:)

CabinCrewe
25th May 2008, 22:20
My point, we have not been told of this change
Excuse me for asking a question
At no point did you make it clear from your original post that you were actually flying on that particular flight. The mention of "invoice" in a subsequent post was the only give away.
I have never had any problem getting through to Thomas Cook by telephone- you just need to pick the right time.

OliWW
25th May 2008, 22:25
Technically CabinCrewe I havent answered my own question because I asked "What has caused these delays" they are operated by the same aircraft I known, but I didn't no what was going on there.

But never mind.

BYALPHAINDIA
25th May 2008, 22:31
And traditionally May is usually a 'bad' month for Aircraft going sick:ugh:

I think some of the machines know how busy they will be for 6 months, Or a 'spot' of De Ja vu:zzz::eek:

OliWW
16th Jun 2008, 21:06
What is the TCX timetable like for EMA for Summer 09, would be intresting to compare between this summer, as Thomson is changing as well... maybe a few changes for TCX

goldeneye
17th Jun 2008, 19:16
TCX dont really decide the timetable for flights, this is done by Thomas Cook holidays. You can find out what is due to operate from EMA in the back of a TC hols brochure for 2009.

OliWW
22nd Aug 2008, 11:35
TCX operated 2x A320 out of EMA this summer, will this be kept the same for next year, or is a upgrade to a A321 possible?

finding_nema
22nd Aug 2008, 15:08
It'll be 2 A320s for EMA again next summer, if TCX get any more A321s it'll be to replace the B752s that are ending their lease this year and aren't being renewed, though not sure where they'd be coming from, maybe FCA.

ROSSKi MYT
22nd Aug 2008, 18:21
How many 752 is that?
is glasgow still 4 x 752 and 1x A330 for summer 09?

airhumberside
12th Sep 2008, 15:16
Are TCX opening a Dalaman base next summer. There are flights to both HUY and DSA operated by TCX with times which indicate a DLM based aircraft. Could be a 'w' pattern from another UK airport but TCX don't tend to do many w patterns?

ROSSKi MYT
12th Sep 2008, 15:23
I would think it would be a "w" pattern

mikeyuk
14th Sep 2008, 19:21
Hi,

Anyone know why a Thomas Cook 757 ( I think ) that landed around 1800 had the fire crew give it a guard of honour outside the Firestation ?

CabinCrewe
14th Sep 2008, 19:45
A location would be nice......:ugh:

bmibaby.com
14th Sep 2008, 22:33
:hmm: Any news on Thomas Cook bringing back longhaul to the Midlands? MyTravel used to do quite a lot from BHX, and last year they did Mombasa and Montego Bay from EMA on the 767.

savingpennies
15th Sep 2008, 11:18
Hi, I can confirm it was one of our favourite captains last flight, landing into manchester, so the firecrew gave him the honour...lovely guy, will be missed. x

Mr A Tis
15th Sep 2008, 11:24
Are TCX short of FOs on the 757?
3 out of 4 flights just recently ex MAN were crewed by 2 x Captains.

greatoaks
10th Oct 2008, 05:28
Can anyone confirm what what TCX have based at Man for winter 08/09 season?

cheers

Jimmy2345
19th Oct 2008, 08:30
I think MAN have the B753 there this winter, although i could be wrong.

Habana2118
20th Oct 2008, 21:18
Is the STN a/c still a year round based A320?, Any plans to expand on this?

mickey71
20th Oct 2008, 23:07
stn is going to be an A321 for the winter with the odd A320 and B757 operating any one off flights.

Envoy320
21st Oct 2008, 14:37
Looks like 5 x 757-200, 1 x 757-300, 1 x A320, 1 x A321, 2 x A330

Jimmy2345
21st Oct 2008, 16:02
Looks like 5 x 757-200, 1 x 757-300, 1 x A320, 1 x A321, 2 x A330

Is this MAN Winter 09, or STN?

OliWW
21st Oct 2008, 16:10
MAN obv.

It would be pretty cool if TCX did operate that many aircraft from STN. I would love to see what one day

GrahamK
21st Oct 2008, 17:41
Envoy320 SAID: Looks like 5 x 757-200, 1 x 757-300, 1 x A320, 1 x A321, 2 x A330
Today 00:07

I take it the 763s are away for the Hajj and so forth then?

BYALPHAINDIA
21st Oct 2008, 18:42
Yup, Hope they come back in 1 piece!!

The 753's are too good for Haj transportation.:rolleyes:

Envoy320
22nd Oct 2008, 11:13
Well a couple of weeks ago they had 18 aircraft flying out of Glasgow for the weekend!!

Happens every year at the end of October!!

ROSSKi MYT
22nd Oct 2008, 15:07
wHAT DOTHEY HAVE BASED AT gLASGOW FOR wO8/9

AND IS SUMMER 09 THE SAME AGAIN- 4 X 757 AND 1X A330

Envoy320
23rd Oct 2008, 10:45
GLA has 2 x 757-200's for winter 08/09

next summer should be back to 4 x 757-200's and 1 x A330

They wouldn't send the 757-300's for the Hajj as they just don't have any kind of range....

Daza
24th Oct 2008, 14:28
What aircraft will TCX have based at BHX next summer? I have noticed that this years Air Transat services to YYZ seem to have been handed over to TCX will these be based aircraft or W patters from other UK bases?
Cheers
Daza

BFS101
24th Oct 2008, 14:48
Belfast always had 2 A320's based with MyTravel, one all week and one Mon - Fri, season long. This summer it went to 2 units, both week long. However Thomas Cook holidays look to have drastically cut capacity from BFS for summer 09. Can anyone confirm based units, it looks like it could be a lonely A320??? Have most bases seen capacity reduced with the credit crunch/recession looming, or has Belfast been particularly hit.
Summer 08 saw, Corfu, Rhodes, Crete and Zakynthos all seanson long, Summer 09 is down to just Crete!!!

goldeneye
24th Oct 2008, 14:51
TCX BHX-YYZ
Given the days the flights are operating, this flight is being operated on a W pattern. Although looking at them and the C.Affair timetable i cant figure out where its flying in from on Mondays and Fridays.

Mondays - YYZ/BHX TCX12L 23:40-11:10+
Tuesdays - BHX/YYZ TCX12K 13:05-16:00

Fridays - YYZ/BHX TCX21L 21:10-09:00+
Saturdays - BHX/YYZ TCX21K 10:55-13:40

Envoy320
25th Oct 2008, 12:27
It won't be a based aircraft as that would be a waste of an ETOPS 757 - as you can see from the timetable, it will be a W pattern from another base, Ie: GLA, MAN, LGW etc...

Jimmy2345
26th Oct 2008, 09:52
Im flying on one of Thomas Cooks B757-200s Feb 2009 MAN-HRG. Any chance this would be one of their 187 seaters?

goldeneye
26th Oct 2008, 10:45
Jimmy2345

Very unlikely as im sure the seats are removed and the seat pitch goes back to the usual short haul pitch. The seats with 35" are for the Canadian flights with the odd short haul but only in the Summer.

Envoy320
26th Oct 2008, 10:50
Tuesday flights in Feb are on the standard pitch 757-200.
Friday flights in Feb are on the 767-300

Jimmy2345
26th Oct 2008, 11:54
Thanks!.

Never flown on one of TCX's 757s before, or 767s, i flew on both of the 767s though in the mytravel livery in 2006.

Envoy320
28th Oct 2008, 16:53
It appears that TCX are in talks over fleet replacement in the coming couple of years.....anyone in the know any ideas or heard anything??

OliWW
28th Oct 2008, 19:03
There isn't exactly a lot of choice out there for TCX... They have A321's and A320's, so could replace there B752 with them. The B763's will probably be replaced with A332, though they might consider the A350, but that wont be available until 2013 onwards. You never know, they might replace there B752 with B787.8 :}

celso75
28th Oct 2008, 21:34
I wouldn't hold your breath about seeing any brand new aircraft in TCX liveries just yet! :(

In the sort term there will be some 320s coming in to replace the 757s that are being returned to the lessor though.

Envoy320
29th Oct 2008, 09:36
I can't see a 320 replacing a 757 to be honest....they just don't compare!

cabot
29th Oct 2008, 14:43
Can anyone tell me what TCX use on their caribbean routes.I'm assuming a 332 would be the normal mode of transport but a 767 may be slotted in.

virgin_cc_wannabe
29th Oct 2008, 14:50
All of MAN longhaul is with the A332

regarding an earlier post, the 187 seat 757's do not have any changes done to them before operating a shorthaul flight. Went to palma in a canadian 757 and it was still configured with 187 seats

ROSSKi MYT
29th Oct 2008, 16:50
In the sort term there will be some 320s coming in to replace the 757s

I doubt it very much, if anything i would think the would replace them with A321s

colinwebster
30th Oct 2008, 12:42
It's been said that both Thomas Cook and Thomson have, all things remaining equal, messed up on fuel hedging for summer 2009.

What I am wondering is does this apply only to TCX + MYT UK ops or is it all the TCX airlines in Europe too ?

celso75
3rd Nov 2008, 19:40
I can assure you that the 320 is currently being considered to replace the few 757s that are coming to the end of their leases. My money is on the 737 as the long term replacement though.

OliWW
3rd Nov 2008, 20:28
A321's :ok:

Ex GB/Easyjet are getting rid of there A321's within the next year... They have 7 A321's up for grab, and 3 A320's

perfect!

Welsh Bobby
4th Nov 2008, 19:12
Can anyone tell me what TCX are doing from CWL for W09/10.
Cant see an easy way of finding out destinations/dates/times on the website?
Will it just be a part based A320 again?
I am using them this winter 08/09 as an alternative to TOM.

cabot
4th Nov 2008, 20:54
What about GLA summer based aircraft ?

Severn
4th Nov 2008, 21:56
and if we are going down this route...
how about BRS for winter 08/09 and summer 09??

Flaperon75
4th Nov 2008, 23:18
How many TCX A320/A321 based at LGW?

Crewing's Slave
5th Nov 2008, 09:31
All is under review since XL demise.

Results should be out soon....... Within a week or so.

Mr A Tis
5th Nov 2008, 09:32
Any plans for the TCX ETOPS 757s that ply the Toronto routes being fitted with winglets. Given their high transatlantic useage would it be cost effective for them?

Envoy320
5th Nov 2008, 10:20
Cardiff has an A320 based for 4 days a week this winter and it then generally goes to Leeds for the rest of the week.

Bristol has a permanently based A320.

Gatwick has just 1 x A321 based for the winter and no A320's.

As for the winglets....They cannot be added on to the B757's due to their leases and the costs involved wouldn't make themn viable before their leases ran out - so in short - No TCX winglets on their current 757's

Flaperon75
5th Nov 2008, 10:36
So if none in Gatwick, where are the 11 A320's based?

Envoy320
5th Nov 2008, 10:51
Glasgow has one, manchester has one, EMA has 2 and the rest have buggered off for the winter as they do every year!!

BFS101
5th Nov 2008, 16:10
BFS has a based 320 for the winter also

Welsh Bobby
5th Nov 2008, 16:48
Can anyone 'in the know' answer my query at post 239 re winter 09/10?

Crewing's Slave
5th Nov 2008, 17:04
Welsh Bob,

Think you'll find not even the CEO knows what aircraft CWL will have next winter....

This winter, it's half a 320.

transwede
5th Nov 2008, 18:24
Still 2 757 at NCL (though much reduced programme for winter as is the norm) and do not expect it to change for next summer, despite gap in capacity left by XL.