PDA

View Full Version : Light Aircraft Emission rates

Brian304
22nd Dec 2006, 12:25
Hey all

I'm currently writing a dissertation for global warming and aircraft emissions, just wondered if anyone in here have any info on the engines and the emission rates and all the other good information?. Any aircraft will do aslong as theres enough information.

Also have a Merry Xmas and Happy New Year everyone

Brian304:ok:

effortless
22nd Dec 2006, 13:01
GA engines are mostly ancient in design so not very efficient. Not lead free either. Aviation as a whole doesn't contribute a great percentage of c/o and GA is a tiny part of that. A more interesting point is particulate is small areas such as around Heathrow.

bookworm
22nd Dec 2006, 14:57
I think you need to look at fuel consumption figures and then convert to CO2 emissions as you would for gasoline. Here are some examples:

I previously flew a single, a Mooney 201, which gave about 295 km/hr on 40 L/hr. I now fly a Twin Comanche, 285 km/hr on 48 L/hr. Each aircraft can carry pilot + 3 passengers.

So we're looking at about twice the fuel consumption per distance as a typical passenger car (but more than 3 times the speed).

Rod1
22nd Dec 2006, 17:32
At the other end of the spectrum, most new aircraft have the Rotax 912. My MCR manages 230kph on 17 lph of unleaded fuel. There are 100,000 Rotax engines now flying, and the CO2 will be very similar to a 1300cc car.

Rod1

IO540
22nd Dec 2006, 20:21
If my calcs are correct, a TB20, operated LOP, at 23"/2300/10.5USG/HR, 138KCAS, is doing about 17.7MPG (UK miles, UK gallons).

That's a lot more than the average 4x4 does, is probably comparable to the average MPG of a car on the motorway at 70-80MPH, and is far more than any motor vehicle would be doing at that speed (159MPH).

That's how a TB20 can do say Goodwood to Malaga in one leg, just.

I also don't buy the extra emissions bit - except that the fuel being burned is leaded so you do get lead coming out. These engines may be old but once leaned out, an engine is an engine. Most of the development in car engine controls is to give good economy over a wide range of power settings and power changes. An aircraft engine just sits there at more or less constant power.

Rod1 - there may be 100k Rotax engines out there but I bet you the duty cycle of the average private aircraft engine is one or two orders of magnitude lower than that of the average car engine.

edymonster
23rd Dec 2006, 10:47
Don't know if this is true but someone told me that all the CO2 emissions created by GA in the UK is equivalent to the amount of CO2 cars make in 8 minutes in the UK.

S-Works
23rd Dec 2006, 11:25
the same as the entire avagas consumption in a year is the equivalent to a morning of traffic in London. So why will they not cut our duty!