PDA

View Full Version : Wifi connection - unable to locate active area /active area has changed

TimS
22nd Dec 2006, 12:05
I set up a new desktop with Netgear wifi card for a friend yesterday on their unsecured wifi network -no problem, connected easily (automatic IP/DNS etc) and rebooted several times with no problem.

Today, it doesn't connect automatically, does occasionally on manual input and repair doesn't work either - sometimes get a warning announcement concerning 'active area' and sometimes after that manual connect works.

Wierd - any ideas ........

Keef
22nd Dec 2006, 13:53
Never seen that - but I'd never have an unsecured wireless network anyway.
As a minimum, turn on WEP and set it some codes. That might fix the problem.

If you do a search for "available wireless networks", does it see this one?

The next stage is to edit the list of preferred networks and make sure this one is at the top. Otherwise, it might be trying to connect to the next door neighbour's WPA protected one that was off when you did your thing yesterday.

TimS
22nd Dec 2006, 14:34
Thanks Keef but it is the only network in sight - it is therefore only network on preferred list and at top -can see it, just can't connect most of the time.

May go back and set up wep and/or mac security over Christmas if I get a moment

rickity
22nd Dec 2006, 20:15
Something similar seen and the cause seems to be power settings, the laptop occasionally insists on putting the wifi card into hibernation to save battery power even though its usually operating on mains. The laptop concerned is an Acer, which has an Acer utility to configure power setting, I think it may do so in conflict with windows Xp power settings. Once configured it’s normally ok for a few cold starts, but then it goes back to trying to hibernate. When it’s in the hibernated state the usual report is can’t find a network, rather than no wi fi card attached.

Rickity

TimS
22nd Dec 2006, 20:53
Thanks Rickity I'll look at that tomorrow-they have promised me mulled wine

TimS