PDA

View Full Version : USB Problem

Blacksheep
22nd Dec 2006, 06:14
Nothing on FAQs, so I'll ask...

IBM Thinkpad R40, Win XP Pro O/S, 1Gig of memory and with two USB2.0 ports.

Plugged my external hard drive into the usual USB port and got a message telling me I'd plugged a Hi-Speed device into a low speed port. Same again if I plug in the DVD burner. Same if I use the other USB port. The cordless key board and cordless game control both work fine on both ports. So do the Sony 4 Gig memory stick and my Nikon camera.

Everything worked perfectly previously and device manager tells me all the USBs are working properly. Tried uninstalling the external drives to re-install them, but as soon as I plug them in I get the same message - hi-speed device plugged into a lo-speed port. The microsoft trouble shooter is as useless as usual - asks you to do a load of simple things and then says it can't work out the problem.

Any ideas what to try next? :confused:

Mac the Knife
22nd Dec 2006, 06:23
Look in the BIOS settings, maybe there's a setting for hi vs. lo speed for the USB ports.

Occasionally the BIOS settings flip for no obvious reason (cosmic rays anyone?). Or this can happen when the mobo battery starts fading.

stickyb
22nd Dec 2006, 07:57
Does it support USB 1 or USB 2\ via a Bios setting? if so it might be set to 1 only.

USB 1 is the lo speed version, 2 the high speed version. The devices you mention that work OK will operate on either version 1 or version 2 ports, but the DVD/external disc need version 2

Cornish Jack
22nd Dec 2006, 10:19
Been there, done that, got several Tee shirts!!
Redmond's finest software seems to be unable to cope adequately with the complexities of USB2. My machine constantly does this and, so far I haven't found any commonality in the conditions that provoke it. Sorry, can't offer solutions - just sympathy and a suggestion that something - anything - would be an improvement on :mad: XP!!

Mac the Knife
22nd Dec 2006, 13:55
If it isn't the BIOS then try removing the USB devices in Device Manager and restarting so Windows can find 'em again.

Keef
22nd Dec 2006, 14:04
My Thinkpad does it from time to time. I just ignore it. Not a problem with the devices I plug into it.

Remove the device in control panel, and then unplug and reconnect. If that still gives you the same error, take a look at the USB port etc settings.