PDA

View Full Version : Really odd IE / Mozilla issue!

PretoriaSillyperson
21st Dec 2006, 14:35
Cripes this is a tricky one and I work as an IT security consultant!

Right then! All internet traffic OK – MSN, Skype, POP3/SMTP – alles. BUT IE and Mozilla totally dead! Ethereal shows traffic going out and returning but nowt on the screen. Have run HijackThis et al but to no avail. I just get "Cannot connect to server." I have a Fortigate unit in transparent mode and have removed it so I’m going straight out/in. Thing is, my laptop - connected to the same router – works 100% A1! Odd indeed. Spyware seems the only culprit but I’ve not found anything at all.

Any ideas, fellow keyboard clickers?

PS No proxy. DOCSIS cable modem.

Gertrude the Wombat
21st Dec 2006, 18:42
Any ideas, fellow keyboard clickers?

How about posting the Ethereal trace somewhere we can look at it?

Superpilot
23rd Dec 2006, 21:13
Corrupt Winsock.dll?

Repair it (http://windowsxp.mvps.org/winsock.htm)

Saab Dastard
24th Dec 2006, 09:51
Changed your proxy server recently?

SD

PretoriaSillyperson
24th Dec 2006, 11:59
Solved - it was installing £$%$£%ing IE7 wot dun it!!! It actually knacked Mozilla too! Stumped me for a good few days. God I hate Microsoft - and I used to be an MCT.

Thanks everyone!

Richard
Sussex

rotorcraig
24th Dec 2006, 14:26
My Dad had a similar problem - the MS IE7 download trashed his connectivity. Never quite worked out how we fixed it - lots of reloading and checking options to no avail then it suddenly started working again :bored:

RC

Mr Grumps
24th Dec 2006, 16:03
IE7 managed to kill my MS updates and even the restore facility in XP. Some bits have come back but earliest restore point is only a few days ago. IE 7 was installed initially about a month ago. A real pain in the ar$3. :ugh:

PretoriaSillyperson
24th Dec 2006, 17:36
I used CCLeaner (Cr4p Cleaner) to sort the problem in the end after "uninstalling" IE7. Great piece of (free) software.