PDA

View Full Version : C-17 minima?

autothrottle
20th Dec 2006, 18:29
My brother is in RM and organises repatriation of RM killed in action. A couple of days ago he was organising a repatriation flight into Brize Norton from Afghanistan, but needed to set up Birmingham in case the C-17 could not get into Brize. It did get into Brize which was good , but raised a question in my mind, how different are the Low Vis procedures in RAF to civi st? Do you have CAT I/II/III and autoland?

Interested

Autothrottle

chiglet
20th Dec 2006, 18:45
AFAIK, being a civvie ATCer at Manch, Brize only has a Cat1 ILS, which is [I think] 550m RVR. But I did hear that Brize was now a "non-precision" approach
Hope this helps
watp,iktch

L J R
20th Dec 2006, 22:40
Was the 'Div' booked for Wx or the fact that IF the R/W at Brize was blocked or u/s (by whatever), the crew had to have a 'boooked div'
I'm not advocating this as THE answer, just food for thought......

chiglet
20th Dec 2006, 23:12
"Standard" wx div for Ascot is Manch..AFAIK
watp,iktch

Dan Winterland
21st Dec 2006, 02:37
Brize is just CAT1. Not sure if any of the RAF are LWMO qualified.

Perhaps the forecast at Brize was pants, so a better div was booked.

Wee Weasley Welshman
21st Dec 2006, 04:57
Brize is only Cat one?!? I'm amazed. I'm using Cat 3 several times a day out and about the UK regions. Surely the cost of diversions outweighs the cost of a few extra lights/lines of paint/backup generator?

flyboy007
21st Dec 2006, 09:03
Brize is Cat 1 with no RVR avail; therefore min vis is 800m, no autoland. TAF for last few days has been 300m in Freezing Fog. Not ideal.

anotherthing
21st Dec 2006, 09:15
Can't remember the figures for amber and red - but if Brize is cat 1, would a PAR not be a better option?

flyboy007
21st Dec 2006, 09:25
Only SRA at Brize I think, but it has been so long since I have done anything other than ILS or TACAN I may be wrong.

Mmmmnice
21st Dec 2006, 09:44
No PAR at Brize - not for years; poss never? Not that sharp for somewhere frequently used as a div for other S Eng mil a/f! PAR is the best option for those of us that have to manhandle the thing to the gnd every time - no autoland! It is only a flying truck after all......

autothrottle
21st Dec 2006, 16:44
Thanks guys for the info. I think they needed to inform relatives about when and where their loved one was going to arrive.