PDA

View Full Version : Air Speeds

BabyBear
20th Dec 2006, 15:51
Can someone enlighten me?

In a recent discussion with a friend he made comment that it is the breaking of the sound barrier by military aircraft that is responsible for setting off alarms at airshows.
Naturally I disputed this, however I was unable to even guess at typical flypast speeds.

What typically do you guys achieve during low level flypasts?

Cheers

stillin1
20th Dec 2006, 15:57
It is the resonance (noise)from the jet engines that sets off the car alarms, ususlly when in reheat. If you drop a boom (sonic boom) the alarm will be the mild panic as you wait to get sent home. Supersonic at airshows is a huge no-no:ok:
540 ish knots is pretty normal, 600 ish if you are somewhere where you can get away with it (I never said that);)

johno617tonka
20th Dec 2006, 15:59
must admit i've never been to an airshow where an a/c has broken the sound barrier!
but.... the alarms could be set off by the same sort of pressure waves that you feel when an a/c is really 'letting rip' as it takes off/ applies power etc etc
lets face it, if the cars are anything like the ones on my street, the local 'moggy' sets them off when he 'lets rip'!!!!

Pontius Navigator
20th Dec 2006, 16:54
You don't need afterburner to set off the car alarms although Concorde was responsible for flattening more than a few car batteries.

It is possibly less likely with modern, quiet, airliners but not unheard of for them to set off car alarms today even.

LFFC
20th Dec 2006, 17:05
.........of course, there was the famous 4-ship Lightning flypast at Valley about 25 years ago!

Background Noise
20th Dec 2006, 17:26
Max speed at airshows is M0.9 or 600 kts.

Olly O'Leg
20th Dec 2006, 18:28
Car alarms still go off at work with a GR4 taking off in full blower. Standing outside of the runway control caravan during night take-offs is not just noisy - it's an experience!!! :D

BabyBear
21st Dec 2006, 14:21
Thanks for the info guys.

Have a good one!

BEagle
21st Dec 2006, 16:52
You mean the 4 Gutersloh Lightning F2As - one of which dropped a boom on Caergollywog?

Tojo (the Stn Cdr) went nuts!

My all time favourite car alarm experience was the Yak 141 Freestyle at Farnborough one year - the beeping and cheeping went on for several minutes after he'd finished his hovering stuff!

I remember that a 'Sabre of Fighter Command breaking the sound barrier' event at RAF Merryfield's At Home day in 1953 or 1954 was actually a bit of a non-event. But the odd boom dropped by 892's F-4s a few years later was pretty impressive!

DucatiST4
21st Dec 2006, 20:52
I can set off car alarms with my motorbike (its a Ducati as you may have guessed) so i'm sure a fast jet will have no trouble.

Blacksheep
22nd Dec 2006, 08:05
I remember Lightnings doing 'double bangers' at Middleton St George BoB Open days when I were a lad. It might not have been s a supersonic boom, but it seemed like one to me. Really hurt your lugs it did. They'd come in silently from the Teesside end then there'd be an enormous double bang - Ba-Bam! - as they went past followed by that magnificent kidney shaking racket. It was the Lightnings that persuaded me to join the RAF.

Then I never got to go near one ever again... :confused:

Krystal n chips
22nd Dec 2006, 09:09
A few years ago now--mid 90's--Concorde departed on MAN 06 ( the original ) for Toronto one very cold and clear November evening----turned left still with the burners on ( a beautiful sight )--and er, duly set off most of the house and car alarms in South Manchester :ok:

I was probably the only person in the area to enjoy the sight of a white silhouette against a black sky--with the a££e end on fire :ok:

sangiovese.
22nd Dec 2006, 09:27
Perhaps they were doing more than the speed of sound....... :E

Happy Christmas