PDA

View Full Version : P and Q oxygen masks

Navigator2006
19th Dec 2006, 16:10
hi all

im new to the forum and would just like to say hello!

i was just wondering what the current oxygen mask is in use with the R.A.F today and also what is the difference between the P and Q oxygen masks someone said there was a difference as i may be purchasing a oxygen mask i just want to no some details

Many thanks

Nathan

Navigator2006
19th Dec 2006, 16:24
thanks for your reply

is the P oxygen mask being used by the R.A.F Currently or is it both P AND Q oxygen masks

many thanks

Nathan

Been There...
19th Dec 2006, 16:33
They are both used by the RAF but depending on the size of your face, depends on whether you (personally) use a P or Q mask.

HTH

Navigator2006
19th Dec 2006, 16:36
and finally sorry about this guys
is the p and q masks the ones with the freen bits on the mask?
any pictures would help?
many thanks
Nathan

Navigator2006
19th Dec 2006, 16:38
and finally thanks guys for your reposts but the P AND Q MASKS are they the 1 s with the green bits on the face mask?

many thanks

Nathan

Been There...
19th Dec 2006, 16:41
Seems like you want to know which one to buy. Why don't you post a link to what you are looking at and we can tell you one way or another :)

From what I remember, most masks had green rubber but I am sure there was another colour.

nick0021
19th Dec 2006, 16:46
Whilst undertaking my aircrew medical at AIB, i was given both the P and Q and asked which one i felt more comfortable with. Dont think there was a great deal of difference between the two though.

225Turbo
19th Dec 2006, 17:10
Whilst undertaking my aircrew medical at AIB, i was given both the P and Q and asked which one i felt more comfortable with. Dont think there was a great deal of difference between the two though.

from what I remember, the sizing is critical should you ever need to 'toggle down' during depressurisation. The mask fit could save your life

Milt
19th Dec 2006, 22:17
P Type Oxy Mask

The P masks were developed in the mid 50s and were the best I have ever used. Returned to Oz complete with a P mask following 2 years of flight testing in the UK. Later loaned the mask to Cliff Fivash RAAF whose face shape would have prevented him from another tour of flying had it not been for the P mask. Would like it back sometime Cliff.

threeputt
20th Dec 2006, 08:20
Seems like you want to know which one to buy. Why don't you post a link to what you are looking at and we can tell you one way or another :)

From what I remember, most masks had green rubber but I am sure there was another colour.

The anti-dermatitic ones (they don't antagonize yer zit's) are a fleshy/light tan colour.

3Putts

G085H1TE
20th Dec 2006, 11:35
I think the older versions were black rubber but they're green now (with black metal exo-skeleton thingy bit). In addition there's the anti-zit tan coloured job already mentioned by threeputt.

Pontius Navigator
20th Dec 2006, 17:28
The green mask was known as a 'med' mask as it was better for people who experienced an alergic reaction to the black rubber. As the good news spread the docs were quite happy to authorise the med mask in lieu of the black beast.

Probably it became cheaper to provide the med mask formula to every one.

The thing that made the P & Q mask work was its small size and turned back face piece. The latter sat flat on your face, inside the mask. Overpressure would then ensure it sat tightly on the face.

The American attempt at a pressure mask was a huge rubber monster, the M mask, where the flange was outside the mask and needed to be held in place more securely that the P/Q.

The British non-pressure mask was the H-mask, a green outer and a rough white inner with broad grey elastic straps to fasten it to the G-helmet. An official mod on the H-mask was to thread a copper wire over the nose bridge to allow it to fit better.

The med mask was used to replace the H-mask.

The P/Q Mk 2 was secured with a simple metal chain. For the F4, with higher ejection speeds, the chain was changed to a bicycle type chain but this was a sod and prone to a 'twist-lock' which made it very awkward to put on as you had to untangle it first. In this guise I seem to remember it was a Mk 7.

Later, and I believe in its current iteration, the bike chain is encased in a plastic sleeve.

Not bad for a bit of kit introduced over 50 years ago.