PDA

View Full Version : Can't get Internet Explorer to open

MTOW
19th Dec 2006, 06:37
Since downloading and installing the latest version of Firefox, I've been unable to open Microsoft Internet Explorer. (Love Firefox as I might, I still require IE for certain sites, like my company portal.)
I've tried removing IE from the Windows options and then re-installing it; I've removed Firefox and re-inatalled it, both to no avail.
I suspect that Firefox has (automatically? I don't remember making the selection) become my default browser during the installation, but I don't see how to disable this feature (if that's my problem).
I've made IE the preferred Internet connection in the Taskbar. When I hit the icon, I get the hourglass for a few seconds and then it just returns to the standard cursor arrow and nothing else happens.
When checking the properties of IE, I get the following address:
Target: C: \Documents and Settings\(my
name)\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
Shortcut: %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%
Anyone out here with any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

vapilot2004
19th Dec 2006, 06:59
Location of iexplore.exe:
C: \Program Files\Internet Explorer

If after browsing to the above location with Windows Explorer:
My Computer, C: drive > Program Files > Internet Explorer folder, you can run IE OK from here, the shortcut is at fault.

If IE does not start up from here - IE and/or Windows may be damaged. Perhaps a reinstall via www.microsoft.com/ie may help - or - use Windows System Restore utility to revert to a time when IE was working.

System Restore is located in the Start Menu > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools..

Good Luck!

MTOW
19th Dec 2006, 08:19
Thanks for the quick reply, vapilot. Unfortunately. I've already tried both those options - or, almost. My company site can't handle IE7 (they told us not to install it "yet" - still waiting to see how "yet" will be), so I don't want to install 7 yet or I'll still be unable to get into my work site.

I did uninstall IE6 as you described and re-isntalled it from my WinXP CD. No result.

BOAC
19th Dec 2006, 08:34
MTOW:

We need to know which OS you use! Assume XP?I've made IE the preferred Internet connection in the Taskbar.- exactly where is this on your 'taskbar'?

How did you make it 'default'?

What have you set in Firefox/Tools/Options/Main/system Defaults?

Do you have IEXPLORE.EXE in the system drive\Program Files\Internet Explorer folder?When checking the properties of IE -where are you doing this and on which icon?

What happens when you double click on this file?

MTOW
19th Dec 2006, 09:46
What have you set in Firefox/Tools/Options/Main/system/Defaults?I can get as far as "Firefox/Tools/Options" but I can't see how to get to "Main/system Defaults". Am I missing something?

Re the OS: yes, you're right WinXP SP2 with all updates except for IE7.

Re my comment about setting IE as the default: I mean Start/Control Panel/Task Bar and Start Bar Menu/Start Menu/Customise - Show on Start Menu –IE Explorer (It had been showing Firefox in the final window after the Firefox upgrade).

Yes, the EXPLORER.EXE file is in the C: \Program Files\Internet Explorer directory. When I double click on it, the same thing happens as happens when I double click on the Shortcut - hour glass for 3 or 4 seconds then nothing.

I right mouse click on the Shortcut in my Task Bar and go to Propertes to view the path.

BOAC
19th Dec 2006, 11:07
Puzzling! A few more questions - which version of IE are you using? (Right click the file iexplore.exe you found and look at properties/version). You may wish to view this from MS (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/166465#appliesto)which appears to refer to IE up to 5.5

I assume you have an IE icon when you click on the 'Start' button? What happens when you right click on that icon? I get three menu options:-
Browse the internet
Internet properties
Remove from list - not the path to the programme.

Internet properties allows me to set IE as default.

Are you familiar with regedit? If not, PM me and we'll have a look at your registry in private.

Which Firefox also? I have V2, and when I go to 'Firefox/Tools/Options' I get a few tabs which include 'Main'. You say you do not see this?