PDA

View Full Version : What Degree? (USA version. UK peeps need not respond.)

Trismegistro
10th Aug 2006, 22:00
First of all, excuse me for my errors, i haven't mastered yet the language.

I'm very interested about the online aviation degrees offered in US, but my marks aren't very high, normally 6/10 is my average mark, i wanted to know if with a bit of enthusiasm i could manage the flight training there in US with a Bachelor's Degree, and of course i will appreciate every information you give me about Universities or Degrees.

By the way, i know this doesn't fit with the thread title, but i've seen that a few people need some information about spanish schools, i can help you, PM me and i will answer you as fast as i can.

Thanks in advance.

Ignition Override
24th Sep 2006, 03:52
A friend asked me to speak in front of his high school class Monday morning. The class is called "Aviation Career Mgmt", and these are high school kids :uhoh: -the only kids I've spoken to outside an airport (mostly in the c0ckp1t) were 9-year olds, years ago. I might begin with formal education, partly in order to motivate those who might need it.

As a pilot, I'm familiar with the fact that many airlines, for the most part, require it.
Most branches of the military require the full degree. As to the Army Warrant Officer, I have no idea, except that they might need it for career progression at some point. Sometimes the Navy has accepted people into pilot training via the NAVCAD program, whereby they finish the last two years as a junior officer, but this is very rare.

And whether many of the better corporate flight departments or charter companies (i.e. NetJets) require it, I have no idea.

Any general, accurate information is appreciated.

B Sousa
24th Sep 2006, 13:31
Just about all the major Airlines want it, along with a million hours in type. Military bracnhes about the same. Army a bit more leniant. Warrant program is no, but it will help if you make it a career. You can get it while in the Army, but its tough as they do work on a 45 hour day.
AND any degree will do, if you specialize in underwater basketweaving and have a four year degree from an accredited College your in....... Personally I think Embry Riddle has a good thing going. A degree and flying combined.

TR4A
24th Sep 2006, 19:14
AT SWA a 4 year degree is preffered but is not required. I have flown with guys that did not have one.

Ignition Override
25th Sep 2006, 03:21
Dyermaker: About the details, it has been too long for me to remember.

Does anyone remember the dramatic Wagner song (Flight of the Valkeries) selelcted by Robert Duvall in the "Apocalypse Now" helicopter scene over the beach?
I asked my friend whether he has a portable CD player, and he plans to play it or a similar song when I walk in!:E

I thank you all for your responses.

B Sousa
25th Sep 2006, 23:50
"I have flown with guys that did not have one."
And I know guys who have many thousands of hours who were given that excuse for not getting a job at SWA.
It used to be the Mather Flying Club from all the T-43 guys......Im sure they are all retired now.

TR4A
26th Sep 2006, 22:56
"I have flown with guys that did not have one."
And I know guys who have many thousands of hours who were given that excuse for not getting a job at SWA.
It used to be the Mather Flying Club from all the T-43 guys......Im sure they are all retired now.We still have some of those T-43 guys. They are close to retirement.

uswc45
27th Sep 2006, 03:56
Does it really matter what type of degree you hold? Would it be a factor in an interview? I'm currently much closer to a B.A. in Criminal Justice than an Aeronautical Sciece degree. Would it be worth the extra time to change majors and go for an aviation related degree?

Aceninja
19th Dec 2006, 00:52
I guess I'm halfway into this. I have 60 hours from Embry Riddle going towards a bachelors in Professional Aeronautics. [ http://www.erau.edu/ec/academicorgs/eccoce/proaero.html ]

I've heard some ppl mention that Aviation degrees were crap and it was better off getting a business? degree for example. That sounds a bit contradictory to me, but just wanted to get another point of view. Do the majors really care about the type of degree and where you got it from? I'm doing mine online via Embry Riddle, hoping that helps.

Input from pilots with Aviation degrees would also be appreciated.

PantLoad
21st Dec 2006, 02:18
Aceninja,

1. Most decent jobs, whether they be in aviation or elsewhere, require a college degree.

2. Years ago, these 'on-line degrees' were junk. Today, it's just the opposite. In fact, many programs have accreditation equal to or exceeding Ivy League schools. (No kidding...check it out for yourself!)

3. Study what you love. If you love being a medical doctor, do it. If you love aviation, do it. If you love engineering, do it. But, (and this is critical...) DO SOMETHING YOU LOVE.

4. Thirty years ago, Embry Riddle was not considered a first class learning institution. Today, it is.

5. Unfortunately, there is a high degree of probability that you will not be able to fly airplanes your whole life. This is another reason to have professional skills (obtained from a major university). This does not imply that you will, someday, be forced to sell real estate. If you love aviation, you can easily move into a non-flying job...do very well at it...and be relatively happy at it. (I know...you'd be happiest if you were flying. But, we all have to give it up, someday.)

6. If at some point in your life, you decide you're not happy, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT! Don't sit around and bitch about how you've been screwed in life. Take career risks (calculated risks, of course), challenge yourself, AND STAY AWAY FROM THOSE WHO CONSTANTLY BITCH. If you do what you love, it's relatively easy to kick ass and take names on a daily basis. Don't let anyone take away from your enjoyment, enthusiasm,and professionalism.

(No, I am not an Embry Riddle grad. And, my degree is not in aviation.)

End of speech!!!!

Pantload

wondering
21st Dec 2006, 10:26
I reckon, itīs a myth that a degree is something to fall back on in case you canīt fly anymore. If you have not worked in your profession for years, chances are close to nil you will find something suitable especially in engineering. Not to mention that potential employers will be suspicious about your motivation to work for them.

sam34
21st Dec 2006, 10:55
hello!

Please could you tell me if there are any universities where we can learn by distance ?? (from france). I am interested in aviation course...

thank you very much!

sam34

Aceninja
21st Dec 2006, 16:57
Thanks to everyone who posted. And for you sam, here is a list of online schools. The one I am going to is Embry Riddle Aeronautical University based in Daytona Beach, FL. They have been around since the 20's and is a pretty good university, havent had any probs with them so far.

http://www.erau.edu/ec/online_education.html

http://www.phoenix.edu/

well these are the only two major ones that I know of, wouldnt wanna lead you astray. So if anyone else knows any major online learning universities please post :)

sam34
21st Dec 2006, 18:43
:ugh: :ugh:

scroggs
22nd Dec 2006, 08:49
So the title of the thread and the location of the original poster didn't give you sufficient clues, Sam? I suggest you brush up on your attention to detail!

Scroggs

sam34
22nd Dec 2006, 16:57
wow, Excuse me Scroggs! I have just read "degree"...
Ok I will post it in the right thread... sorry again... :O
please, scroggs, could you erase my stupid posts ? thank you very much!

sam34

dartagnan
22nd Dec 2006, 19:44
erase urself your posts...
make edit, then erase.

Student Pilot
21st Jan 2007, 03:55
Ok, I was enrolled in a Professional Pilot curriculum for the Spring 2006 semester. However, the costs of training and getting a bachelor's in aviation probably isn't worth it, especially considering what a turbulent industry this is, as many noted. I'd hate to be in steep debt when I graduate. Therefore, I've decided to enroll in another major that will provide reasonable job security and get a job that will allow me to pay for my training without taking out loans. I still desperately want to be an airline pilot so I just hope this doesn't make me appear to be less of a candidate to prospective airlines...

Someone please reassure I'm making a smart decision...

zerozero
21st Jan 2007, 18:42
As someone once told me: The airlines don't care where you got your degree, they just want you to have a degree. Any degree. It's a relic from the old days when most airline pilot candidates were military officers. People like to hire other people who are just like them, that's why the requirement persists.

What the airlines are *really* more interested in is the type of flying you've been doing. Major airlines like to hire from the regional airlines. Corporate flight depts like to hire from other corporate flight depts. Etc.

The key is to identify where you want to be and then determine what sort of flying lays the best foundation.

You didn't ask for this piece of advice about college but I'll offer it free of charge (one time only, special deal, just for you): Throw yourself into the college experience. Don't worry so much about flying. If you're already flying, great, enjoy it, but don't sacrifice college or put it off for flying.

If you leave college to pursue some *great* flying job, I can almost guarantee that you will never return to college to finish your degree and in the long run you'll screw yourself.

Finish college as soon as you can, get it behind you--AND THEN--fly your ass off.

Good luck.