PDA

View Full Version : "Warming up" the EFIS

SayItIsntSo
18th Dec 2006, 23:31
Got a new EFIS equipped toy and I am already bored waiting the 2 to 3 minutes after each start up to get the gizmo warmed up / initialized. Not to mention the thought of how much money we are wasting each time with all the prolonged ground running.

Does anyone with a helicopter featuring EFIS start the system on ground power before starting the engine? If so what are the considerations? People I discuss this with talk about power surges and the like.

Wizzard
19th Dec 2006, 00:44
For Chr*st's sake - slow down! 2-3 minutes waiting is not a problem, it gives you time to think about the flight ahead, perhaps think about what you might do if you have a problem on departure.

Joking aside - yes power surges are very expensive, even on toys.

Wiz

19th Dec 2006, 01:40
Yes, I agree with wizard.
From your discription my only thought is that you are flying a Single with EFIS.
The Twin I fly with EFIS does not have a problem with a 2 or 3 minute warm up as you are just getting your checks completed by then (& thats VFR), longer for IFR.
Be inquistive, get to know the gear and then use it to its fullest. Your lucky to have an aircraft that can provide so much situational awareness.
But warning, make sure you know how to use it all before the s!?t hits the fan.
Have fun, enjoy and don't rush it.

Oogle
19th Dec 2006, 03:21
Depending on what aircraft you are flying, you may get some spikes to the inverters when you start.

Not so long ago I got given a brand new EFIS for Xmas. Fantastic equipment but I agree with 800 - get to know your way around it if you are going IFR. A couple of little tricks here and there.

The beauty of it is that you can play with it on the ground without starting the engines.

Warming up??? You just have to wait until it's done. The time you are waiting can also be due to the gyros spooling up as well.

verticalhold
19th Dec 2006, 10:31
Sounds a bit like the system on the twin I fly. The screens can only be bought on before start by using bus shed. I was warned against having them on before start due to potential spiking as the invertor comes on line. I can however put a flght plan in the system as the magic box for that works off the battery.

The 2-3 minutes after start is used for the remaining checks and then I set the screens up as I wish. I understand that the EC155 has a shortage of battery power for having all the toys on before flight, I'll find out for certain when I do the course in a couple of months. Enjoy your 2-3 minutes, they are very useful for reminding yourself that everything is done and ready.

VH

SayItIsntSo
19th Dec 2006, 11:22
It is not the time I begrudge, after all whether I initialize the EFIS before or after start up it is still going to take 2 minutes plus and I still get a chance to visualize my flight or do something else even more productive. No, it’s the US$ 50 (approx) that is being wasted by having the engine running that gets me. If you do 500 flights a year (even if they are only 5 minute trips) someone is losing around US$ 25,000 per annum.

It would be so nice to be able to devote even more time than just a mere two minutes to set up the screens as they should be / I want them, without having to worry about the ‘meter’ whizzing round.

FloaterNorthWest
19th Dec 2006, 14:02
SatItIsntSo,

Why not look at when the screens are or could be switched on. You may find that you could turn them on sooner so that whilst you are completing other turns they are warming up.

I have just written our S76C++ normal checklist and moved things around to make it flow better and to use the time more efficiently (with due regard to the safe and correct order of switch on of course).

It's not costing me money to delay the take-off but it can annoy the Boss.

FNW

verticalhold
19th Dec 2006, 15:26
FNW;

Last time I did that the grey men from the Belgrano wouldn't accept the changes (despite factory and engineering support) and made me go back to the AFM version. I wish you luck. See you at Cheltenham:ok:

Brilliant Stuff
23rd Dec 2006, 12:47
On ours we start one engine switch the avionics on and then start the other and by the time that is started the EFIS is up and running.

212man
23rd Dec 2006, 23:06
What exactly is taking so long? A modern EFIS screen will have carried out it's IBIT and come on line within 30 seconds or so, the AHRS about the same time on a stable platform, and the FMS maybe a minute. Where does the 2-3 minutes come from, and are you REALLY wanting to be airborne in less than 2 minutes after engine start??
Of course, in an S-92 you use the APU to get everything on line:ok:

Oogle
24th Dec 2006, 05:07

We all wish we could have AHRS in our machines but some of us have to wait until the wheels (gyros) are turning at fast enough speed. :{

Geoffersincornwall
24th Dec 2006, 06:50
Sayitisntso

What are you burning in that thing? Engine costs don't count until you get airborne DYK.

G

:{