PDA

View Full Version : Can regular soldiers be 'promoted' to flying after serving in the British Army

dublinamg
18th Dec 2006, 22:55
Does anybody here know if it is possible to get into the RAF or Army Air Division by joining the regular army an doing it that way. I know it might take a while but that wouldn't be a problem.

I'm Irish but my mother is English so I don't think that would necessarily be a problem. I have checked it out a bit but the fact that I have a record meant it was a No. I know that getting into the army is a bit more flexible in some cases and wondered if there would be a posibility of going that route if things went well there.

I'm 21 now and applied to the Irish Air Corps here and also got turned down. It would be my dream job and I am just looking for some way to make it happen.

Hope I've put this in the right place and it makes sense.

moggiee
18th Dec 2006, 23:21
You can join the Army Air CORPS (not division) from other units of the Army but it's not easy to get in. You can also join direct if "lucky".

As for joining the RAF from the AAC - well, you can theoretically transfer service to service but in over a decade in the RAF I never met one person who came to us from the Army, although we had a few ex-sailor boys. The RAF likes its personnel to be able to read and write which excludes most soldiers!

sicky
19th Dec 2006, 01:31
Is it toughto get into the AAC, full stop? Even as ground crew etc?

I've just put an application in for the RAF, but have a feeling my eyesight will let me down. You never know til you try though, fingers crossed.

As for this thread, i was looking into a similar issue a while ago and the general impression i got was that yes, it is possible to do that sort of thing but it is pretty much frowned upon and not very common. Maybe you'd have to be exceptional and really excel for them to allow it.

thorpey
19th Dec 2006, 08:00
It is possible to go from Army to RAF, i know a guy currently flying C-130`s who came from AAC, top bloke an all.

Dr Schlong
19th Dec 2006, 08:14
There's also an ex AAC guy on the Vickers Funbus! :ok:

Green Flash
19th Dec 2006, 09:08
Mind you, if you let slip that you want to go AAC as a route to get RAF, then you might not get either! Getting real picky these days! Good luck.

LeanMe
19th Dec 2006, 09:17
Is it toughto get into the AAC, full stop? Even as ground crew etc?

I've just put an application in for the RAF, but have a feeling my eyesight will let me down. You never know til you try though, fingers crossed.

As for this thread, i was looking into a similar issue a while ago and the general impression i got was that yes, it is possible to do that sort of thing but it is pretty much frowned upon and not very common. Maybe you'd have to be exceptional and really excel for them to allow it.

It's more common than many think. There is a certain F/L in SHF who started as an Air Trooper in the AAC. When I met him in '93 he was a Sgt Loadie, swiftly promoted to Flt Sgt. And now he's a Flt Lt in SHFHQ, trying to get back to flying duties.
There's a certain ex-Matelot on an SH Sqn whom I first met in Iraq, he's now a MACR in the RAF.
On the same Squadron there's an ex-AAC Captain who now holds the rank of Flt Lt and an ex-Marine who is now a Flt Sgt Loadie.
As far as SH goes, it seems that we don't care where you come from, if you want to join the proper sharp end on the Flying Green Twin-Tub, there'll be a place for you! :ok: I forgot to mention the Sqn Ldr on another SH Sqn I was on, he'd been in the RAF for some time but everyone still called him The Major.

SamCaine
19th Dec 2006, 10:53
in over a decade in the RAF I never met one person who came to us from the Army

You must be living with your head buried in the sand then. :ugh:

The RAF likes its personnel to be able to read and write which excludes most soldiers!

Nice, very nice. :rolleyes: :D

teeteringhead
19th Dec 2006, 12:53
....and then there's the AOC who used to be a Green Jacket......;)

...... he seems to have done OK .... but the Black Mafia always does....:E

gijoe
19th Dec 2006, 14:27
You can join the Army Air CORPS (not division) from other units of the Army but it's not easy to get in. You can also join direct if "lucky".
As for joining the RAF from the AAC - well, you can theoretically transfer service to service but in over a decade in the RAF I never met one person who came to us from the Army, although we had a few ex-sailor boys. The RAF likes its personnel to be able to read and write which excludes most soldiers!

Ignore all above - the author is a dotard and can only post in an anile fashion. How do you spell thesaurus?

I think your questions have been well answered above and there are plenty of people who have changed the colour of their uniforms at some point during their service. The majority are from brown to blue but it is not unknown for some to go from blue to brown.

G

moggiee
19th Dec 2006, 15:03
GIJoe - did you get a sense of humour bypass at some point in the past.

As I said, it IS theoretically possible to join the RAF from the Army - but in over a decade in the service I NEVER met anyone who admitted to having been in the Army first.

You may know people who were - I do not.

SMILE for God's sake - it's called BANTER!

EDIT: Just remembered one - an ex AAC MT driver who became an RAF Policeman. I stand corrected.

moggiee
19th Dec 2006, 15:10
How do you spell thesaurus?
I think you answered your own question there. Well done!

19th Dec 2006, 15:26
Dublinamg, whichever way you try to do it, you will have to pass the aircrew aptitude tests and medical so I suggest you apply directly now to see if you are suitable (whether RAF, AAC or FAA). Otherwise you run the risk of joining up, going through various elements of unneccessary training and then finding you can't be aircrew because you are colour blind (or something similar). Joining the Army won't let you become a pilot by the back door (ooerrrr missus) as the criteria are the same and the tests are the same (all done at RAF Cranwell for all 3 services.

mattycourt
19th Dec 2006, 16:31
A quote from the AAC website;

'There is also the opportunity for all AAC soldiers to apply to train as an Army helicopter pilot, subject to suitability, aptitude and medical status. You must have attained the rank of Lance Corporal and be recommended for promotion to Corporal. Army pilot selection comprises of aptitude tests, a very thorough medical, Flying Grading and finally a selection interview. The earliest that you could expect to start pilot training is some 4 years after completion of your basic Groundcrew training. A limited number of personel may also apply for Aviation Crewman training, where you will be employed as a Doorgunner, Systems Operator or Winch Operator. Selection is similar to pilot training except that you need only be a Class 1 Airtrooper to apply for Avaition Rearcrew, and there is no requirement to undertake Aptitude testing or Flying Grading, however you will still need to pass the medical and interview process.'

Should answer your question.

gijoe
19th Dec 2006, 18:16
I think you answered your own question there. Well done!

:ugh: :D

____________________________________________________________ _

Vortex Thing
19th Dec 2006, 19:11

I currently know 12 serving RAF officers who were ex Army Air Corps pilots. Serving on Merlin, Royal Duty, fast jets and C130.

The drawbacks:-
They did have to get over the initial shock of moving to a service with habits rather than traditions as the RAF isn't old enough to have traditions!

They also had to swap their mess kit for waiters uniforms.

But luckily they didn't have to cope with the reading and writing issues seeing as Sandhurst has a 95% graduate intake and the RAFC Cranwell has less than 80% but hey.

Interestingly most of those who transfered over were senior NCOs who had reached their 22 year point and would of had to leave the army anyway. They of course have to be officers to be pilots in the RAF nowadays and were thus comissioned but that's the value of the air force commission for you.

Banter aside just join direct it is realistically the only option that wont take 5 or 6 extra years. The Army Air Corps is far harder to get into at the moment due to difference in size mostly you often need to apply 6-7 years ahead for the AAC if you are not to find your date of birth full.

VT

Rev I. Tin
19th Dec 2006, 19:38
But luckily they didn't have to cope with the reading and writing issues seeing as Sandhurst has a 95% graduate intake and the RAFC Cranwell has less than 80% but hey.
Interestingly most of those who transfered over were senior NCOs who had reached their 22 year point and would of had to leave the army anyway.
VT

Priceless!:ok:

Faithless
19th Dec 2006, 19:46
The RAF likes its personnel to be able to read and write which excludes most soldiers![/quote]

Say that to the current Comd JHC you muppet. Also to a large selection of SHF Pilots that have seen the light and jumped to blue from green. So one does think that one has to get his facts right before one slags many off.

Out to you Muppet
:=

moggiee
19th Dec 2006, 21:39
Say that to the current Comd JHC you muppet. Also to a large selection of SHF Pilots that have seen the light and jumped to blue from green. So one does think that one has to get his facts right before one slags many off.

Out to you Muppet
:=
For God's sake lighten up - IT'S BANTER!!!!!!!!!

Vortex Thing repeats much of the stuff that the RAF has had to put up with for nearly 89 years - it's give and take and is part of the fun!

moggiee
19th Dec 2006, 21:41

Interestingly most of those who transfered over were senior NCOs who had reached their 22 year point and would of had to leave the army anyway
VT
So how many of those SNCOs went to Sandhurst as part of that 95% graduate intake?

J.A.F.O.
20th Dec 2006, 01:03
the fact that I have a record meant it was a No.

Shouldn't have done it, then; should you?

MightyGem
21st Dec 2006, 22:15
There's also an ex AAC guy on the Vickers Funbus!

VERY surprised you let that one join!!:E

mutleyfour
22nd Dec 2006, 07:39
For God's sake lighten up - IT'S BANTER!!!!!!!!!

Vortex Thing repeats much of the stuff that the RAF has had to put up with for nearly 89 years - it's give and take and is part of the fun!

Hey Moggie, I beg to differ, Banter is only Banter when you don't have to tell people its Banter.

I joined the AAC as groundcrew back in the 80's and started my flying about 8 years after joining. Initially I wasn't interested in the flying side but soon changed my mind after having a trip in the back.

To me its so simple, if you want to fly Rotary and havent a degree try the Army, if however you have a degree then try all three and see which picks you up first. Lastly if wearing a G Suit turns you on then you had better try the RAF.

Jeep
22nd Dec 2006, 10:21
The Cranwell 11+ tests require a score of approx 115 out of 180 for Navy and RAF. In recent years the minimum score has been as high as 140 because of the quality and amount of applicants. The P score accepted by the Army is 80.

Yes, I needed that lower score :)

handysnaks
22nd Dec 2006, 16:45
To answer the question.

You can join the Army Air Corps direct as Private Soldier (Airtrooper).
To do this you need no qualifications. As the armed forces contract due to a lack of work (:hmm: :ok: :eek: ), it may be harder to get in the AAC rather than other Corps or Regiments.

Once in, and with a certain amount of experience you may apply for pilot selection, as may any other soldier in the Army (commissioned or non-commissioned) .

You might not pass pilot selection and if you do then you might not pass the pilots course.

At least that was the way it worked once upon a time......

If you don't try then you'll never know.....