PDA

View Full Version : BO-105 down in Ireland?

Vertical T/O
18th Dec 2006, 19:16
Heard rumour of Irish Helicopters BO-105 down in Rosslare. Any truth to it?

bolkow
28th Dec 2006, 13:27
The aircraft in question EI-BLD did have a heavy landing which reportedly splayed his skids almost two weeks ago at the Bailey Lighthouse in Howth, Dublin. Apparently it was coming in to land and at approx 15 feet high got an updraught which the pilot responded to by lowering his collective, unfortunately he was not as responsive as the wind was when it changed instantly and left him without any lift. Connections that know the pilot (he was not one of the very experienced ones) say it was really only a heavy landing, but repairs are required.

redorangedog
28th Dec 2006, 18:18
Just for the ill informed ,the pilot in question has probably more exp. than most of the elite in the industry.An absolute competent pilot with a wide range of everything from offshore oil support to external load to general charter.Probably has forgotten more than most wannabe's will ever learn.

Get a life:rolleyes: !

whatsarunway
28th Dec 2006, 18:49
Have to agree there,
Not only is the pilot in question one of the nicest unasumeing pilots in the country but he also deserves a mention in the best pilot thread, . this guy was born with rotors attached!

I can only hope to be half the pilot he is some day.

If he managed to splay the skids then id guess most of us would have come out injured in the same scenario.

The only thing this guy has going against him is that he's from sligo, but , we all have our problems!

:mad:

bolkow
29th Dec 2006, 08:37
I can see this is a touchy subject, but to that particular operation he is new. The facts are that aircraft was built in 1981, has somewhere approaching 15600 hours on the airframe, this is the first incident of that nature to befall it, I dont know the guy who was flying it, but I understand there is an investigation to take place of the incident, so lets just leave it to that, shall we?

whatsarunway
29th Dec 2006, 10:01
Bolkow.

Where are you getting your information from,

Saying he's new to the operation is like saying Nick Lappos is new to Sikorsky!

:ugh:

sox6
29th Dec 2006, 10:07
whatsarunway
Nick now works for Gulfstream:cool:

bolkow
Today you say: I dont know the guy who was flying it
It may therefore be 'touchy subject' if you make statements on their experience and then don't have the good grace to defer to those who do seem to have some personal knowledge.

bolkow
29th Dec 2006, 11:54
whatsarunway
Nick now works for Gulfstream:cool:

bolkow
Today you say: I dont know the guy who was flying it
It may therefore be 'touchy subject' if you make statements on their experience and then don't have the good grace to defer to those who do seem to have some personal knowledge.

My posting was based on infromation from a good source. There have been basically two guys associated with the offshore lighthouse support for the past 12 years or so, approximately 2 years ago one left to fly for a private operator leaving the other very experienced pilot who has worked with that operation for those years left. The accident pilot is neither. Whatever his experience elsewhere, his experience of lighthouse releif ops within Irish helicopters makes him the new fellow there. He may indeed have extensive other experiences but if so, my source does not appear to think these valid in terms of making him experienced in their operation. There may be related political issues around taking on newer pilots at cheaper rates of renumeration which are operating here, I dont know. As for the source, he would have more than a passing knowledge of both the situation, operation etc.

cyclic
29th Dec 2006, 17:09
As an ex-lighthouse pilot (not Irish lights) I can say that it was probably some of the most demanding and at times hazardous flying I have done. In the Bo105 you really are at the mercy of the elements at times and a heavy landing is really an occupational hazard. Most lights are situated in difficult geographical positions for obvious reasons and this creates some unusual up and down drafting which, at times, is not predictable.

The cross tubes were probably fairly bent before this anyway;)

Helipolarbear
31st Dec 2006, 18:40
The great thing is that no one is hurt! The pilot who i have known for many years is highly experienced and the particular mission profile was not 'new' to him. If you ask him, he is more than willing to discuss the event as he recalls it. Unlike some guys that feel the post mortem rhetoric is a direct threat to their otherwise perfect ego!!! Yeah, the machines are old and very underpowerered to whats available on the market today! Irish Lights, Bord Gais and the ESB need a wake up call, especially with respect to reducing where possible all mitigating risk factors that line pilots have to accept under current tenders.!!!:ugh:
Good on the pilot for walking away after 18 years squeaky clean. Wish I could have had the same record.:D

fred scuttle182
1st Jan 2007, 11:47
The great thing is that no one is hurt! The pilot who i have known for many years is highly experienced and the particular mission profile was not 'new' to him. If you ask him, he is more than willing to discuss the event as he recalls it. Unlike some guys that feel the post mortem rhetoric is a direct threat to their otherwise perfect ego!!! Yeah, the machines are old and very underpowerered to whats available on the market today! Irish Lights, Bord Gais and the ESB need a wake up call, especially with respect to reducing where possible all mitigating risk factors that line pilots have to accept under current tenders.!!!:ugh:
Good on the pilot for walking away after 18 years squeaky clean. Wish I could have had the same record.:D

Hear Hear :D

Aer Maritz
2nd Jan 2007, 04:19
It never ceases to amaze me how easy people find it to pontificate on this forum!!!
Bolkow, there by the grace of god go I! Who has not found themselves somewhat short on collective on accasion and wondered how the hell to get out of the situation?
The 105 is old. It was good in its time, but is overdue for replacement. The pilot concerned found himself in an unfortunate situation, that is all. As mentioned, no one was hurt, that is all that matters.
My time with IHL gave me the best flying and was the best job i have ever had. The company was and is highly professional both in its selection of personnel (not including myself!) and in its operations.
As for the Sligo man, we can't choose where we are born...........:p
Nothing personal in this post, just, please think before you type;)

CVR
2nd Jan 2007, 09:53
Well said polarbear, the person in question is a gentleman and very experienced, he has more flight time on the cheeks of his arse then most posting on this forum.........well done i say, any landing you walk away from is a good one.............:ok:

Happy Newyear Everyone on the Emerald Isle:cool:

Fly Safe And Enjoy

CVR

bolkow
2nd Jan 2007, 10:01
It never ceases to amaze me how easy people find it to pontificate on this forum!!!
Bolkow, there by the grace of god go I! Who has not found themselves somewhat short on collective on accasion and wondered how the hell to get out of the situation?
The 105 is old. It was good in its time, but is overdue for replacement. The pilot concerned found himself in an unfortunate situation, that is all. As mentioned, no one was hurt, that is all that matters.
My time with IHL gave me the best flying and was the best job i have ever had. The company was and is highly professional both in its selection of personnel (not including myself!) and in its operations.
As for the Sligo man, we can't choose where we are born...........:p
Nothing personal in this post, just, please think before you type;)OK, Maybe I do need to take your point, I was simply passing on the comments of another, but did not take into account that others migth be sensitive to what might appear as a criticism of the person in question. I will shut up now, lesson learned.

Telstar
21st Mar 2007, 13:06
Report published today:

http://www.aaiu.ie/upload/general/8935-0.pdf

Hedski
21st Mar 2007, 17:30
Think the fact that there are no safety recommendations to come from the report pretty much agrees with the earlier sentiments regarding said pilot. If it could happen to him, it could happen to anyone. Just an unfortunate incident. May all learn from it, wind shear can be a killer in both fixed and rotary wing worlds.