PDA

View Full Version : Mishap to XL445: 15th June 1983

Chairborne 09.00hrs
18th Dec 2006, 17:24
As Vulcan threads seem to be de rigeur on Pprune at the moment I thought I'd take this opportunity to draw on the memory of Ppruners to give me an explanation as to what happened here:

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q217/John_txic666/Vulcan/XL445Cby15.jpg

I was happily shooting some piccies on the approach at Coningsby, when
XL445 came in to land sans the top of the fin! 50 Sqn were bolt-holing at the time, if this helps in stimulation of the grey cells.

Never did find out what happened at the time: but then, there was no Pprune!

ZH875
18th Dec 2006, 21:04
I can remember de-briefing the AEO, the Job Card read "Simultaneous Loss of signals from both Fwd and Aft RWR aerials".

The fin cap, IIRC was recovered a few miles down the extended centreline, the screws which held it on had worn through the fibreglass of the fin cap. This was not unusual, we just placed very large cup-washers (from the Jaguar) under the screws, and it prevented further wear.

BEagle
18th Dec 2006, 21:41
Where was the fuel dump system fitted to the Vulcan tankers? Was it bomb bay fuel only - or mains as well?

We could have done with a dump system on the bombers - several times I've droned up and down burning off to normal landing weight!

ZH875
18th Dec 2006, 21:58
The fuel dump was fitted in place of the VCCP from the old ECM kit, IIRC the mains fed the bomb bay tanks which then fed the dump system.

Awaiting correction by the fuel soaked sooties.

Picture shows the fuel dump pipe at the rear starboard of the aircraft, just below where the VCCP was fitted.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/ZH875/561_hdu.jpg
© BAE Systems. Courtesy Ian Lowe at Woodford.

Chairborne 09.00hrs
19th Dec 2006, 06:44
As always - Pprune has all the answers!

ACW418
19th Dec 2006, 16:41
Mike,

And minimum landing fuel was 8,000 lbs ISTR.

ACW

Rainboe
19th Dec 2006, 16:49
What is the structure hanging below the tailcone? Is it a boost engine?

soddim
19th Dec 2006, 16:49
There was a time, not long after an oil embargo, when Victor tanker fuel dumping was banned except for emergencies. We often obliged with a pair of F4s, one on each wing hose at around 36k', taking fuel in reheat with our wing dumps selected. Didn't take long to bleed a tanker mate dry in time for bar closing!

ZH875
19th Dec 2006, 17:45
although there was a warning stick on the box linked to warning lights in the cockpit!

Unlike the 6 inch B2 tail 'stick' the 'stick' on the K2 was about 2 feet in length, and had to be wirelocked in the forward (all lights off) position, otherwise it would flap about in the airflow and kept flashing the lights throughout the whole sortie. The FLMs/Riggers had to wirelock this after almost every landing.

The best thing about the K2 was that the HDU replaced the ECM kit, so there was no water/glycol to run down your arms and spray everywhere when ECM cans were changed, when the corroded valves stuck.

Chairborne 09.00hrs
19th Dec 2006, 18:07
[I]

If you are referring to the piccie, that was the external (fixed) plywood & sheet metal covering for the HDU!

I always thought it looked more like an outside lavatory..... ;)

ZH875
19th Dec 2006, 18:19
The groundcrew always referred to the item as 'The Skip'

I wonder why:hmm:

Pontius Navigator
20th Dec 2006, 17:55
Mike,
And minimum landing fuel was 8,000 lbs ISTR.
ACW

8k was the peacetime limit. The strike mission was planned down to 4k.

4k in 14 tanks relied an awful lot on the gauges. One one sortie, I have been told, the brains trust wanted the aircraft to remain airborne while they decided on the best course of action. Eventually the captain said sod it, or words to that effect, and landed with an appointment with the stn cdr at 0700 the next day.

The following morning, reporting as ordered he was told he was no longer required and to sod off. Seemed that the tanks had been dipped following landing and no doubt to collect evidence. As the dipping showed there was about 2.5k the brains trust would have been wholly embarassed. Still, didn't stop solid oak becoming CDS :\