PDA

View Full Version : BHX to EDI

Tisme
17th Dec 2006, 14:04
I'm cathcing an early morning baby flight to EDI on Thursday from BHX, how long will it take me to get through security at about 6am. I am only like 30 mins from the airport and wondering how much time to give myself with check in closing at about 6.10am.

OltonPete
17th Dec 2006, 16:41
Tisme

Travelled out last Monday but I went through at 8am and it was less than 10 minutes. There were only two machines in use but a lot of staff, all very friendly. It was shoes and belts off which is a bit of a hassle butwho cares if it means safe flying.

Not many IT flights at that time on Thursday (TCK arrecife)
but you will have the three Monarch schedules going through (the IT aircraft does Arrecife schedule on a Thursday) plus the 5 Baby's.

Only a guess but I would ensure you are at security at 6am and if you get through quick just marvel at the surroundings, you might even think your at an airport ;) . T1 is still a bit grim but on the whole BHX was great last week. It was the first time I had avoided check-in (done it online) and this saved time.

I am about 4 miles west, left the house at 7.15 parked up in Sheldon caught the 900 bus in, arriving at 7.45, met my mate, straight to security and in the lounge by 8-8.05 for a 8.45 departure (well it was supposed to be 8.45 but it was flybe :( ).

Flew back on Baby - for £15 including taxes they were definitely value for money. I think the only downside is that you can't check-in online if you have hold luggage but I didn't have any so I checked in for the return flight the night before at 10pm - brilliant.

Pete

Tisme
17th Dec 2006, 17:34
Thanks for that guess it looks like I will check in online for both legs the evening before then as there will be no hold luggage.

One of the baby flights will be the one I am on, looks like it wont be too bad then. I just didn't want to get held up as I am taking a first time traveller and didn't want to make the journey any more daunting.

Will make sure we are at security before 6am.

Thanks for the info.

OltonPete
17th Dec 2006, 18:00
Tisme

As you have a first-timer, a useful point about flying Baby is that
not all aircraft have aligning window seats, which some people do not like.

The 735 does not have a window at row 7. It is a minor point but you do have to turn your neck quite a bit or look over someones shoulder.

The first EDI outbound in the morning is a 733 but the 2nd and last
one back from EDI (19.05 & 21.30) is normally the 735. Obviously with Baby they do have the scope to change the 735 to a 733 quite easily
at BHX but the aircraft pattern normally fits the 735 for these flights.

I have just realised that the Geneva started yesterday and this might
influence a change of aircraft type on certain routes and on certain days but when I checked-in online the seat plan was for a 735 (counted 131 seats) and chose row 5, which was fine.

Pete

chrism20
17th Dec 2006, 18:22
Pete

When you check in online with baby, are you able to change the seat the system has allocated you or is it just pot luck?

Thanks

OltonPete
17th Dec 2006, 19:47
chrism20

You can change your seat - I was very impressed with the software.

If you have pre-booked (at a price) you can change is as many times as
you like apparently.

Also if your printer throws a wobbly during the process of online check-in I also got the impression you could try again.

Flybe - no choice of seat at online check-in and you have one attempt to print or you have to check-in at the airport or a £10 charge on the day if you go to security with "spoilt boarding pass" and it can't be read- someone from flybe please tell me this is wrong but this is how I read it.

Pete

Tisme
18th Dec 2006, 05:46
chrism20

Also if your printer throws a wobbly during the process of online check-in I also got the impression you could try again.

Pete

That was one of the things that worried me about doing online check-in and thanks for the tip off about seats.

Maddie
19th Dec 2006, 20:32
I flew from Birmingham to Dublin last Saturday morning. Checked in at 06.55am, went straight to check in, flight was at 8.05am. At 07.45am I was still in queue, with around a couple of hundred people in front of me. Next thing I heard a Final Call being made for the flight over PA system. At the same time the queue managers came around and requested that everybody on this flight should follow them. We were then expedited through security. Same thing happened for several other flights as well, as I observed in the 50 minutes I was queuing.

I don't know what caused these delays, I travel through BHX several times a month, and usually don't have delays of this scale, maybe the early morning Santa flights or unexpected staff shortages contributed to this delay. Maybe it was just because it was the start of the great Christmas get away.

Have a nice flight.

TeaAnyone21
19th Dec 2006, 23:17
i am crew for an airline at bhx and would suggest that you give yourself plenty of time. like others have said security is strict with shoes and belts etc and this week queues have been generally large when i have been in (around the same time as your check in).

Tisme
20th Dec 2006, 05:18
I am doing online checkin at 4.30am. we should be arriving at about 5.45 flight departs 655am. Hope that is enough time then.