PDA

View Full Version : BAA - long security queue delays this Xmas

manintheback
17th Dec 2006, 21:36
Despite earlier reports that BAA would be on top of the security queue situation this xmas, papers are reporting that marquees are to be installed at Heathrow and measures taken at other BAA airports for an expected minimum 100 minute wait to get through security.

zed3
18th Dec 2006, 06:23
OK it's a press report but 100 minutes just to get through security !!!!! Things really must have got out of hand and I think a lot of people might be out of work soon , it can't go on like this .

Jet II
18th Dec 2006, 07:36
Sounds about right - estimate for this week at LGW is around 1 hour 30 minutes from check-in through security into departure lounge.

Sooner BAA is split up and gets some competition the better for all concerned.

J32/41
18th Dec 2006, 17:26
I went through security at LHR terminal 3 the other day and it was just a joke.

Took me about 90 minutes just to get through security, one thing I noticed when I returned from Copenhagen was that both male & female security guards search both male & female passengers using the hand-held scanner, it was so much quicker.

:hmm: :hmm:

THE FLYING COOK
19th Dec 2006, 21:41
Well what do we expect of the BAA. If they were not a monopoly they would have been bankrupt years ago. I cannot understand why the DoT doesn't sort them out as they are just helping to bring the airline industry in this country to its knees. To all of you travelling this xmas good luck and keep smiling!!

gdiphil
19th Dec 2006, 23:00
My daughter and I went through LGW NT yesterday at around 9am and the security lines were not particularly long. Some lines required the removal of shoes, but not all. The process took about 15 minutes. Seemed pretty efficient and speedy as far as I could tell.

THE FLYING COOK
20th Dec 2006, 07:03
Well gdiphil you were lucky. It does seem to make a differance as to what BAA airport you go through and what time. I got stuck at 0800 at LHR recently for around 45 mins. To be fair the BAA staff have had enough of trying to get everyone through as quickly as possible but its so frustrating when only 4 security units are open out of 8 at the busiest time of the day. :ugh:
Manintheback, FYI, I believe BA have told pax not to arrive too early this xmas as the terminals cannot cope. EVERYONE can now checkin online with BA now 24 hrs before dept. Got to be worth spending 5 mins of your time to cut out the queues at checkin. Just the fast bag drop to queue for then!! Not sure what the other airlines are doing

WHBM
20th Dec 2006, 07:40
Just the fast bag drop to queue for then!!
You mean the Slow Bag Drop. After a promising start this has gone way downhill and now often takes longer to negotiate than the traditional check-in used to do.

BA also seem to be dispensing with traditional check-in desks altogether which means that any issue that has to be negotiated at the counter (system can't find you; too many bags; granny with no Internet, etc, etc, etc) ends up getting transacted at the FBD in front of you.

manintheback
20th Dec 2006, 07:55
Got to be worth spending 5 mins of your time to cut out the queues at checkin. Just the fast bag drop to queue for then!! Not sure what the other airlines are doing

If you can check in on-line that is - its erratic these days (BA). Self service at the airport throws out the reservation too, and when you finally get to the normal check in desk they cant see anything wrong. The whole operation at BAA airports and the airlines that use them seems to be close to melt down.

THE FLYING COOK
20th Dec 2006, 08:05
WHBM, yes as I said just the queue for the fast bag drop then!!!! I must say that at times its a mess and slow bag drop would sometimes be a better name for it!
As for the online checkin, I have used it on a few occasions without problems but I do know its not a fail safe method. Still think its a better bet to do it if possible, rather than the horrendous queues at this time of year

hoss0218
20th Dec 2006, 19:52
My other half was returning from a night stop in BVA to PIK,and had one ell of a time with a French security guard ref make up,perfume etc,and clear plastic bags.To cut to the quick,on the return flight she was sat next to a male passenger,and they were both discussing how the rules etc change depending on where you are flying from.My other half said she would,nt mind all this hassle if the rules were set in stone wherever you were,and anyway ,what happens to all the confiscated "stuff".Pax in next seat then say,s"my B in L works in security at GLA,and has the pick of the confiscated "stuff",which he sells at Ayr Sunday Market!!!!!.
Fact or Fiction??,perhaps someone from BAA security can advise.

Merry Xmas To All

6chimes
20th Dec 2006, 22:38
Sooner BAA is split up and gets some competition the better for all concerned

I am not sure what you are trying to say here. Are you saying that competition would lead to a faster security process? That would be a really stupid thing, as security would be profit and loss led and corners would inevitably be cut. Or are you saying that BAA are not capable of doing the job needed and would pull their socks up if someone else could do it better?

daedalus
21st Dec 2006, 06:47
Following Mike Jenvey's post - just what is it about the UK and its obsession with carpet? Whenever I arrive in a UK airport the first thing that strikes me is the use of fitted carpet everywhere in areas which are subject to all the world's dirt and disease.
Having once taken up a fitted carpet and thereafter resolved to use parquet, cork and tile throughout the house I can only assume there is some sort of cosy deal with UK carpet manufacturers to keep them in business. Carpet in public heavily-trafficked areas is nothing short of disgusting.:yuk:

praa
21st Dec 2006, 13:15
Dadaelus has hit the spot. It's the first thing I notice whenever I arrive back at a British airport. When I see carpet, I know I'm home. But why they put it in a place where millions people are going to trample over it I really don't know. It must be hell to keep clean.

PAXboy
21st Dec 2006, 16:08
Jet IISooner BAA is split up and gets some competition the better for all concerned
If LGW and LHR were owned by separate companies - what incentive would the LHR company have for getting it right and providing SERVICE before SHOPS?

Yes, I know that the two can be provided together and it is actually PROFIT that is being put before SERVICE. But, since almost every airline that serves the UK wants to go to LHR - then the demand will always be high and they have no incentive to get it right. It's like JFK and EWR. Whilst some folks prefer LGW / EWR as they are closer to their homes/offices, most pax and the carriers want LHR and JFK.

Once a new company had got their hands on the LHR cash cow - why would they not cut back on service and coast?

"What's that you say, Skippy? The CAA and UK givt will ensure that they are kept up to the mark?" :sad:

Jet II
21st Dec 2006, 17:26
But, since almost every airline that serves the UK wants to go to LHR - then the demand will always be high and they have no incentive to get it right.

But if LGW is run by a different company then they have an incentive to improve service and therefore attract the airlines to LGW.

If LHR sees that airlines are being attracted to LGW then they will need to up their service standards to compete.

The situation as it is now means that BAA can give dire service at all its London airports as there is nowhere else to go.

Final 3 Greens
23rd Dec 2006, 08:49
Went through LGW NT on Weds 20th, 4pm.

Took well over an hour, no fast track open (despite my C ticket costing GBP650), several gates shut.

Totally disgusting experience, but typical of the UK - high prices, poor service.

As least the flight was not badly disrupted, but I can see the UK on a slippery slope back into the parlous state last experienced in the 70s, which provided Thatcher with a platform to do some severe things (some of which I supported and others which I did not)

The_Banking_Scot
24th Dec 2006, 21:54
Hi,

Went through LGW NT on Saturday 550pm.

Queues were longish but not too bad ( 15mins).

Regards

TBS

Gouabafla
27th Dec 2006, 08:29
Why are the words this Christmas in the title?

TightSlot
28th Dec 2006, 00:07
27/12/06 LGW South - Terminal reached capacity and numerous delays of circa 2 hours due Security staff shortages. We were lucky, only one hour.

10secondsurvey
28th Dec 2006, 03:21
Maybe part of the reasons for long security delays is due to stupidity (for that is what it is) like this;

Recently going through security at LHR T3, guy behind me had a small bag (which would easily meet hand luggage requirements), and a laptop in one of those 'slip' (second skin) type cases.

On approach to security at the 'pre-queue', he is told quite firmly that he cannot have two items of hand luggage, to which he tried countering quite reasonably, that his airline allowed a small bag plus a laptop or camera. The moron in security was having none of this, and absolutely insisted he put the laptop inside the bag, so he effectively would be in compliance with only one piece of handluggage. He followed instructions and did what he was told.

The very next person he met from security once he reached the x-ray, told him he should take the laptop out.

And then these same security people wonder why pax like me regard them as utter morons. Go figure.

SXB
28th Dec 2006, 20:50
Arrived London Heathrow on 23/12 from FRA (had originally booked BA basel-lon but rebooked with Lufthansa from FRA) I noticed the security queue for departures in T2 snaked right through the terminal building, I don't know how long the waiting was but it would have been long time... I also waited nearly 30 minutes to pass through immigration.

Compare this to my experience in Frankfurt, also a large european international airport applying the same security rules, I waited about 30 seconds to go through security and about 2 mins to go through passport control. FRA is not my favourite airport but compared with Heathrow it's a dream.

Some on this thread have criticised BAA and all I will say is that the only airports in Europe that have made me wait for an hour to pass security are BAA owned sites in the UK.

SXB
29th Dec 2006, 20:23
I passed through Heathrow T2 today on my way back to FRA, absolutely no problems, no queues at either security or passport control.

Security staff were friendly, I had some prescription medecines in my hand luggage which were over the allowed volume, they didn't even mention this. I also saw countless others pass through with more than one piece of hand luggage.

That said T2 is a bit of a hole, I had an absolutely disgusting meal in 'EST' on the upper level with appaling service. To make things worse my wife spent an absolute fortune in the shops, I could hear her credit card groaning through overuse......

WHBM
31st Dec 2006, 09:10
That said T2 is a bit of a hole, I had an absolutely disgusting meal in 'EST' on the upper level with appalling service.
Policy at Heathrow catering concessions nowadays is to hire foreign workers on minimum wage (the concessionaires can't afford anything else, poor dears....) recruited in the two-hour long arrivals queue for immigration, and to deliberately choose those who cannot speak English. This is done to make you feel more "overseas" earlier in your holiday. It's a wonderfully inventive approach to add to your experience and as a result of the enhanced feel this brings all catering prices will be jacked up a further 25% in the New Year :)

PAXboy
3rd Jan 2007, 19:52
This story on the fall out of the delays and problems is on the BBC web site (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/6228163.stm) today, 3rd January. I thought I'd add it here rather than yet another thread.

It is a compendium of six traveller's tales of woe. Whilst BAA gets some of the blame, BA gets the most. This quote from one of them:
When we arrived back on 2nd January, we found our suitcase in a pile of luggage in the [T 1] baggage hall. Nobody came to check whether we were the rightful owners, we just walked away with it. No questions asked. So much for security!