PDA

View Full Version : Moisturiser

kangaroodance
17th Dec 2006, 14:38
Hi everyone

im just going through my training for cabin crew and i have started to wear make up everyday to get used to putting it on. My skin is very dry, and i need to buy a moisturiser that will help now but most importantly will help whilst im flying!

Im sure all of you that have been flying for years must of had some trial and errors, so if anyone can recommend a good moisturiser, or warn me of useless ones, it would be a big help!

jennihopkins
17th Dec 2006, 20:51
palmers cocoa butter! little bit pricey but an absolute godsend!!

airbus777
17th Dec 2006, 21:24
Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream or Prescriptives flight cream:

EAAFA
18th Dec 2006, 04:06
Shiseido Gentle Sun Protection SPF 30+. It's the least greasy sun lotion I've ever used and a great moisuturiser as well.

Also, remember to drink lots of water while flying.

Juud
18th Dec 2006, 06:46
http://www.cosme-de.net/html/images/clinique/skin/ddml_170.jpg

labia vortex
18th Dec 2006, 07:24
1.Squalane (do a google)
Available in Japan or good health food stores in the states
2.Na-PCA by Twinlab.
Also available in good health food stores
In particular Vitamin Shoppe.
Been using them for 10 years..skin has improved out of sight.
Neither is expensive..$7.US to $10.US max
Both are naturally occurring

stimpler
18th Dec 2006, 11:13
Kangaroodance
save yourself heaps of money and do your skin a favour. Use aqueous cream. Buy at any pharmacy. It's cheap as chips and the basis for all the fancy creams you can buy around the world. Recommended to me by a dermatologist when my skin went crazy after using brand name items.

Also, very important that you drink litres of water when flying. Force yourself. Every time a crew member offers you a glass of water, take it. Remember to return the favour, and when you have a drink offer one to everyone else in the galley. At the very minimum, drink a litre every 6 hours. Also important to drink before and after a flight.

Good luck. Stay hydrated.

ShesGreatintheGalley
18th Dec 2006, 16:19
oh dear.. product overload! haha

what kind of skin do you have? i mean.. during the day on the ground are you normally a little shiny? or VERY (as in peeling) dry?

you need to use a cleanser also.. to remove your makeup.
PM me if you like might be easier. i am a girl..i have LOTS of skincare! haha

Airside London
18th Dec 2006, 16:46
http://www.brummellsoflondon.com/content/productimages/Shiseido/EnergFormulaThumb.jpg?from=4800230009537442 (http://www.brummellsoflondon.com/default.asp?docId=13876&type=brand&brandId=13474&prodId=13989)
Shiseido

Energizing Formula (Men)

Great Product ...
You will find it online or most Department Store's
£26.00

Virginia
18th Dec 2006, 19:26
Estee Lauder Daywear SPF 30 :ok:

The Voice
18th Dec 2006, 21:24
ref the makeup - lest is best ..

get an eyelash tint - saves on mascara .. can then add a little eye liner pencil for definition .. no smudging either if you rub your eyes ..

good quality long lasting lippy will help keep lips moist - saves reapplying to look great

keep it all light and natural and it should help with the dryness you mention ..

good cleanser and moisturiser every day will help and a face spritzer is fantastic for refreshing the skin .. develop a close friendship with a beauty salon somewhere once a fortnight or so .. pamper the skin if you can - it all helps .. I use and heartily recommend Clinique - very good price in the states ..

c_hostie
19th Dec 2006, 18:28
The Prescriptives Super Flight Cream is probably best for skin that is always dry, but I have slightly oily skin that gets dry when flying and I've found the best one is Clinique Moisture Surge Extra, it's pink and in a clear/silver jar. It's oil free as well but it hydrates you skin so well. It's about £26 here but I got it for $30 in Macy's. Hope that helps! ;)

PilotsPal
19th Dec 2006, 23:06
Although not cabin crew, I work in a very dry and frequently over-heated office so my skin tends to suffer in the same way.

Firstly, it may take a little time to find the right products for your skin - Clinique are great in that you can get samples from them (I will say at this point that I swear by the product Juud so helpfully illustrates, and have used it faithfully for very many years). A good daytime moisturiser is essential of course, but remember that to help avoiding nasty flaky patches and that tight, almost sore, feeling, you will need to take good care of your skin when you've taken your make-up off at the end of the day. Use a good creamy cleanser, nothing too harsh, and moisturise properly before bedtime. The Clinique Moisture Surge products are really nice to use, a sort of cream/gel blend that isn't heavy or cloggy but does the job. The eye product (essential to take special care of the eye area) is very good indeed for any age.

Secondly, choose your foundation with care. You don't want anything that has a drying effect, nor anything that looks overly heavy or greasy. You might check out a MAC counter for that, they have a really good range of different formulations, and extremely well-trained and helpful staff.

And finally, the advice given about drinking plenty of water is absolutely correct and vital for your well-being.

sebby
20th Dec 2006, 10:44
Im a boy but shiseido and clinique seem to work best for me.

A lot of the girls seem to think nivea is ok, and for dry skin Elizabeth Arden does some great healing for me at night, but i feel i would rub it red putting it on during the day.

It is trial and error im afraid - but sometimes thats all part of the fun! DUTY FREE! Thats all I can say... :O

ShesGreatintheGalley
20th Dec 2006, 10:54
spend a day in a big department store and go round to all the counters.. ask their advice. they will try to push their products on you, but at the same time they will all analyse your skin and tryproducts on you for free and recommend certain things. You will soon learn what kind of cleanser you prefer (gel, cream, foaming, bar etc) how thick you want your moisturiser and by trying them on you will know what you are happy to buy.
same with makeup.. a good foundation is the basis of everything (apart from skincare) if you are super dry get a hydrating foundation but also be aware that when your super dry, you will produce oil in the cabin (because it simply is so dry your skin trys to over compensate itself) so you might want a small powder compact for touchups.
Your skin changes when your flying.. it does strange things to it being in a drycabin for so long so dont be suprised if your skin changes quite dramatically.
once you have decided what products you like, order it from www.strawberrynet.com or duty free.
remember, you dont have to have all skincare items from same brand.. thats a myth. but make sure you get a cleanser suited to your skintype, if it dosent remove makeup properly get an eyemakeup remover too and a good moisturiser with SPF, or use SPF in addition to your moisturise. Clinique do a great CityBlock that you can pat over your moisturiser and use alone as a tinted moisturiser when your not working.
This time of year is perfect for shopping because its Gift with purchase time everywhere! so you should get some good deals!

sebby
20th Dec 2006, 15:21
It appears shes not only great in the galley - some good advice there! :ok: hehe

flitegirl
20th Dec 2006, 23:05
I've used Clarins for years.... the Hydra Care Cream or the Multi-active Cream is a little heavier. The Hydra care is beautiful. You step off an 8 hour flight and your skin still feels fantastic. Never get that dry, tight feeling.

gingernut
21st Dec 2006, 00:00
Hi Kangaroodance, it's probably not that important which product you use, more the frequency you use it. (Rub an emollient on 4 times a day, and you will notice a big difference:) )

The dermis and epidermis will dry out at your "pressue" if you allow it to. Rub the cream in frequently :-}