PDA

View Full Version : Condor B757-300 taking off with the Cockpit window kept open

wilcoluca
16th Dec 2006, 14:44
Here you can see the photos:

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5879226

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5878526

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5878461

RYR-738-JOCKEY
16th Dec 2006, 14:54
Must have been a hot day:}

ironbutt57
16th Dec 2006, 14:55
They have been known to pop open if not securely closed...distracting but not a flight safety issue..boeing has a good video of this in a 737 as well...done purposely to show it is noisy but otherwise a non-event

Telstar
16th Dec 2006, 15:02
Likewise my Company showed this video as part of our refresher training. As stated, it is a non event apart from the startle factor from the noise.

I look at these photos and I do NOT say "Fools, they were so careless". I look at the photos and say "That could definitely happen to me!, I must make a mental note to be even more carefull performing the before start checklist"

Flight Deck Windows & Cockpit Door.....................Locked!

bubbers44
16th Dec 2006, 15:02
One of our 767's did a heavy high speed abort because the window wasn't locked shut. Brake damage and fuse plugs melting caused a lot of grief for the crew. We determined that if it happened again we would deal with it in the air because it can be closed in flight. Most malfunctions at high speed end up better by avoiding high speed aborts.

Halfnut
16th Dec 2006, 16:27
"For the want of a nail, the shoe was lost; for the want of a shoe the horse was lost; and for the want of a horse the rider was lost, being overtaken and slain by the enemy, all for the want of care about a horseshoe nail."

Benjamin Franklin

Bomber Harris
16th Dec 2006, 16:45
Why do you mention that "halfnut", did Benny Franklin have a DV window open on him just before V1 :) :)

Drop The Dunlops
16th Dec 2006, 17:13
This happened to me about five years ago when I was a brand new F/O on the 737 in AMS, must have only had about 300 hrs TT at the time.

The training captain liked to have a smoke of his pipe on the turnaround, but on this occasion failed to check his DV window afterwards.

He was PF, and going through 120 kts the window slid back creating the most almighty racket! No drama though, he just said to me "ahhh, you take the controls would you old boy?" and turned to close the window!

A RTO would almost certainly have grounded us at that speed, what with melting plugs etc.

capt cb
16th Dec 2006, 18:05
What is your problem?
A/C not capable of flying?
Any red lights on and bells ringing to justify a RTO?
Get a live!

bluestuff76
16th Dec 2006, 18:53
Have a look at the angle of attack vanes.

Nice try though.

BS

hetfield
16th Dec 2006, 18:56
Yepp.........

:D

Drop The Dunlops
16th Dec 2006, 19:09
Have a closer look...

That's the shadow of the AoA vanes.

Look at the shadowing resulting from the a/c on the ground, the shadowing on the f/o's face.

All looks in perspective for me. If not, then a damn good fake.

highflyin
16th Dec 2006, 19:59
Maybe he was just throwing his McDonalds bag out of the window

Astrocaryum vulgare
16th Dec 2006, 23:11
I'm surprised no one has posted this link:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_87KqdX7PE

javelin
17th Dec 2006, 02:37
Isn't Photoshop a wonderful thing :ok:

ExSimGuy
17th Dec 2006, 03:16
Maybe he was just throwing his McDonalds bag out of the window
No way! Couldn't have got the McDonalds through security ;)

remoak
17th Dec 2006, 07:51
Have a closer look...

It also looks as though the nose oleo is fully extended... now if someone photoshopped that, they deserve a prize...

topjetboy
17th Dec 2006, 12:33
The nose wheels don't seem to be spinning, the bolts are clearly and sharply visible. I'm fairly sure the braking action doesn't happen until gear is selected up.

DonLeslie
17th Dec 2006, 13:25
The nose wheels don't seem to be spinning, the bolts are clearly and sharply visible.

Not unusual for high shutter speeds, don't you think?

hetfield
17th Dec 2006, 13:53
Didn't know the 757 had nose wheel brakes....

Only in the air..........

helldog
17th Dec 2006, 14:26
I thought this kind of jet had good aircon. RT must be difficult.

The AvgasDinosaur
17th Dec 2006, 16:33
Solves the CRM question of what action to take if the Captain had a curry last night !!
Be lucky
David

cwatters
17th Dec 2006, 17:23
Not unusual for high shutter speeds, don't you think?

Perhaps but I noticed .... If it was a fast shutter why freeze just the wheel nuts but not the background?

Loose rivets
17th Dec 2006, 17:40
Yep, you just beat me to it. Background is about right for a good mid setting.

M J just popped in before my post...will have to give that more thought.

The link did get my attention. It just doesn't look 'right'.

There is another vein near the first of the small letters. Same angle.

Oh, BTW, would the veins drop sharply during rotation? this rings a very distant bell, but I wouldn't have thought it would have been anything like that angle. The one near the B of Boeing does seem to show a shadow as well.

Panman
18th Dec 2006, 03:29
It surprises me that you guys are pilots for 2 reasons:

1) How did you pass your medical with such bad eyesight? You need to get your eyes checked, you can just make out the position of the forward AOA vane. A very, very faint line that is horizontal (third photo). What you are seeing, as mentioned before, is the shadow.

2) When did Boeing start installing those extra large AOA vanes on aircraft? For the AOA vanes to be that large in photos taken at that distance........ It's all about scale

Also as is said, the torque links on the nose leg clearly show that it's at full extention. You can even see the witness mark (dirt for the intelectually challenged) from where the piston sits when WOW.

Guess it's just easier to be the usual anal retentive lot that most pilots on PPRuNe appear to be.

Oh and back to the question of eyesight.... Look carefully again (third photo); oval nuts/bolts on wheel halves? (no not the axle nut) I don't think so!! Evidence of rotation of the wheel methinks.

pAnmAn

Rude Boy
18th Dec 2006, 07:20
Those main gear bogies and the elevator are at about the right angle for rotation, too. Whoever put this one together really thought of everything..... :rolleyes:

Why can't you guys just admit it's a pretty cool photo and that it happens?

BOAC
22nd Dec 2006, 07:06
For the benefit of eff oh (who's post has been deleted), this is the 'Spectators' Baclony, where we try to answer enquiries as gently as possible. Not all are familiar with B757s, and may get the 'words' wrong. The nose-wheel IS indeed 'braked' on retraction on the 757, by rubbing strips in the nose gear bay, so 'Rude Boy' was in fact 'technically' correct in what was posted, although it was not well written.

A 737 can certainly have the window come open on take-off, and as the video shows, it is distracting but not life-threatening. Of the 757 I know not.

However, this thread has nearly passed its 'best-before' date, and further discussion of rivets/bolts/shadows will consign it to another thread here.

'Spectators' are welcome to ask questions about flying with the window open or discuss other aspects of this topic, of course.