PDA

View Full Version : Slightly overweight

Winnie
15th Dec 2006, 16:45
OK so here goes.

Currently flying rotary wing in Canada, but want to move back to Scandinavia in the future.

My problem is, I am overweight, not severely so, but still overweight, and it shows...

I have been to two interviews with two of the larger offshore companies, but got the negative both times, and of course they will never let you know why, just that the answer is negative. I contacted one of them upon receiving the answer, and they said try again in a couple of years. Which I will.

Now here is the thing, will being overweight really play a large role? I have been reasonably constant in weight since about 20 (am now 31), and have lost about 30 punds in the last 2 years. I will continue this diet I am on until the BMI is where it should be (below 30), but it takes time, and unfortunately keeping licenses current in europe is prohibitively expensive, as well as time consuming.

Sooo, are there any intelligent answers out there, should I wait until the BMI is "safe", or not think too much about it and go ahead.

(oh by the way I do not smoke (anymore) and I am in reasonable shape.)

Cheers
W.

CNTDSCT
17th Dec 2006, 16:47
Hi winnie,

You are flying helicopters..right.
I dont think you being overweight is the problem..you have a medical.right?
Do you fly VIP people?
If so, the only reason they may not accept you is because of your experience(are you experienced?),your appearance(dresscode)or the way you are presenting yourself to them..
You may simply,because of your weight show them some lack of confidence..and they caught on that but for the wrong reasons.

All the best in your search,

PAPI-74
17th Dec 2006, 19:59
Cut down the dairy stuff. My problem is good cheese and butter.
It has to go.
Get into competative sports (squash) and really get sweaty. Gyms never work, unless you get sweaty perving at fit girls in tight shorts......I'm going for a cold shower.
Don't slip back into the old way.....

Good luck, tell me how to do it when you master it.

AlphaMale
17th Dec 2006, 22:00
Hey Winnie, I a starting to worry myself. I have a 9-5 office job and I am used to being active student but I have since put on about 1.5 stone since starting work :}

6'2"+ and 17stone 2lb ... But I still haven't needed to say a total goodbye to my six pack so I feel ok but would like to get back in shape, Dairy foods is my achilees heel unfortunatly (cheese sanwiches with a cup of tea every day for lunch along with a meat sanwich).

I just hope this BMI doesn't go against me - I am very broad and heavy, descibed as a 'big lad' by many :confused:

I am sure if you lose a couple of pounds you'll feel better are more confident in yourself. I can't speak on behalf of what 'they' will think as I have never been there.

Good luck.

Andrew

Craggenmore
23rd Dec 2006, 11:19
Slightly overweight

who isn't :} Years ago I did sports science at university and several students wrote 10,000 word thesis's on how the BMI index is a load of crap for at least 35% of the population. Relax