PDA

View Full Version : Monitor problem

'Chuffer' Dandridge
15th Dec 2006, 13:11
Problem: Flat screen monitor kept going blank, then coming back on again(Similar to power save mode). Bought a new one which works 100%. Defective screen tested on another PC and now also works 100%.....:{
Any clues as to why (I've checked all the obvious things like loose connections etc), or have i spent £300 for nothing?:(

spannersatcx
15th Dec 2006, 14:22
Could of been an overheating graphics card.

born2fly_au
16th Dec 2006, 18:49
What is the make and model of the screen & Video card?
Allen

criticalmass
17th Dec 2006, 08:39
I'm with those who suspect the video graphics card of intermittent misbehaviour. Is it a fan-cooled card? The fans often are the weakest link on these cards, and a lot of overheated cards will shut down before they toast themselves (the first duty of an organism - even a technological one - is to survive), cool off a bit and then come back to life.

Keef
17th Dec 2006, 11:53
But the new monitor works 100% on the same PC, so it doesn't sound like the video card. Otherwise, the same problem would happen with the new monitor.

Is it anything to do with resolution settings? Is the connector in good nick? I had a laptop that did strange things with external monitors - it turned out the "red" wire to the VGA socket wasn't soldered.

Terraplaneblues
17th Dec 2006, 12:20
I had a similar problem a while ago, Mitsubishi CRT went dark - sent for repair.
Tried an aged LCD monitor and all was fine, occasionally the LCD would flicker, but not being familiar with LCD's I thought it was resynching or something, worked ok for 2 months, then it went phut!

Twas the graphic card after all.:}

I think the LCD was more tolerant of the graphic card fault than the CRT (which couldn't be fixed due parts no longer made).

Now on new mobo with Sapphire Technology Radeon X1900XTX 512MB and Dell 24" widescreen - nice.