PDA

View Full Version : Dual layer DVD burning

Binoculars
15th Dec 2006, 10:14
No idea what this means, but my standard 4.7Gb is not large enough to burn what I want so I went looking for a higher capacity blank DVD. The shop could only come up with a Dual Layer, DVD-R DL disc, but told me I would need a dual layer burner to use it. Having no idea what sort of burner I have I bought the DVD to try it.

Now my G5 iMac equipment list tells me my burner is a Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-K05, Firmware revision Q523. Dvd-Write: -R,
-RW, +R, +RW, +R DL.

Am I to understand this means I can't burn the purchased blank on my Mac? :confused: :confused:

Jhieminga
15th Dec 2006, 14:09
The '+R DL' means that you can burn Dual Layer discs, but only those of the + variety. Indeed the disc you bought cannot be burnt on your system, but if you get a +R Dual Layer disc you can at least solve your first problem.

IO540
15th Dec 2006, 19:50
Then you discover that most computer owners can't read DL disks anyway :)

I tried this and gave up on them. As of 2006, too few people can read them reliably.

This forum requires that you wait 120 seconds between posts. Please try again in 18 seconds.

criticalmass
17th Dec 2006, 08:44
Binos, are you sure your dual-layer blank disk is DVD-R? I just bought a couple of spindles of Verbatim dual-layer and they only come in DVD+R. in fact, I haven't been able to source any DVD-R dual-layer blanks anywhere. (I always use DVD-R single-layer disks, have burnt over a thousand now).

If your burner software is up-to-date, it should immediately let you know it can't burn the blank due to format incompatibility.

spannersatcx
17th Dec 2006, 09:11
Binos, are you sure your dual-layer blank disk is DVD-R? I just bought a couple of spindles of Verbatim dual-layer and they only come in DVD+R. in fact, I haven't been able to source any DVD-R dual-layer blanks anywhere. (I always use DVD-R single-layer disks, have burnt over a thousand now).
If your burner software is up-to-date, it should immediately let you know it can't burn the blank due to format incompatibility.

They certainly do do DVD-R DL here's some (http://www.dvdshoponline.co.uk/P1598.html)

Last timer I was in HKG I got some.

Having said that, DVD+R DL seems to be more compatible with players.

Then you discover that most computer owners can't read DL disks anyway If you have a DVD-ROM drive it certainly should read them, that's how I view mine on a pc!:eek: