PDA

View Full Version : VC and medals

GANNET FAN
15th Dec 2006, 08:04
I was under the impression, probably incorrectly, that medals awarded to the forces, particularly the VC were presented at the Palace by the Queen.

I think that happened in WW2 however I suppose if HM were to present them now it would be an endorsement of His Tonyness war policy.

Pity really as honours such as these in my opinion do need to be given from the very top.

JC

TrickyTree
15th Dec 2006, 08:22
...I suppose if HM were to present them now it would be an endorsement of His Tonyness war policy...
I can't get my cap on with that. How would it?

It's merely a recognition of the bravery and selflessness of members of Her Majesty's Armed Forces. That doesn't presuppose approval for the politics that found those sailors/soldiers/airmen in theatre at all.

No. Not in the slightest.

GANNET FAN
15th Dec 2006, 08:44
I can't get my cap on with that. How would it?

It's merely a recognition of the bravery and selflessness of members of Her Majesty's Armed Forces. That doesn't presuppose approval for the politics that found those sailors/soldiers/airmen in theatre at all.

No. Not in the slightest.

Yes of course I understand that and after reading their citations, I can't think of a more deserving bunch, its just that I thought that HM usually presented such honours, as with Bharry (apologies for not remembering rank and possible misspell).

No ranting, just a thought

Gainesy
15th Dec 2006, 08:47
HM does present them, the majority anyway, they were just announced yesterday.

Kitbag
15th Dec 2006, 08:57
Not this time around, it seems:

Presenting the nine highest awards at a ceremony in the MOD's Main Building, London, Chief of the Defence Staff, Air Chief Marshal Sir Jock Stirrup, said:

Full story here: http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/HistoryAndHonour/CourageAndBraveryFromAllThreeServicesShinesOutFromLatestOper ationalHonoursList.htm

Sorry about the size of the link, Interweb is a bit beyond me sometimes.

Wrathmonk
15th Dec 2006, 09:13
Don't worry - they will get their well deserved Palace moment! This was purely the media announcement (and the cynics would say it gave BLiar time to bury other bad news - being quizzed by the police, abandoning the SFO investigation etc!). If you look closely no picture actually shows any of the recipients wearing or holding a medal (nor, certainly, with the RAF MC and the RAMC MC, wearing the ribbon (which if I understand correctly can't be worn until the award is announced in the London Gazette which happened at 0001 this morning, ie after the media show). Not sure, but if the pictures in the Torygraph are correct they got a framed copy of their citation.

On the day Pte Beharrys VC was announced IIRC he was put in front of the media in his CS95.

Archimedes
15th Dec 2006, 10:12
I concur with Wrathmonk. When L Cpl (as he now is) Beharry's VC was announced, it was done at a media-fest, along with several others.

I suspect that the 'presented the awards' line should actually read 'presented the award winners to the media' (or even more accurately, some of them) or something like that.

airborne_artist
15th Dec 2006, 10:46
GF- while the decision to fight is taken by the PM, the fighting is in the name of Queen and country, and the PM constitutionally still reports to the Queen, who has on three occasions asked him to form a Government.

FJJP
15th Dec 2006, 10:54
It is invariably the case that HM or another top Royal will present the VC, GC and GM - in fact I cannot think of an occasion when they didn't. During WWII, King george VI travelled in Royal aircraft to bases to present these medals [like to Guy Gibson, ISTR].

I consider that it is perfectly acceptable for the head of the Armed Forces to present other awards as HM's representative. Don't forget, HM is getting on in years...

ZOFO
15th Dec 2006, 18:14
Not this time around, it seems:

Presenting the nine highest awards at a ceremony in the MOD's Main Building, London, Chief of the Defence Staff, Air Chief Marshal Sir Jock Stirrup, said:

Full story here: http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/HistoryAndHonour/CourageAndBraveryFromAllThreeServicesShinesOutFromLatestOper ationalHonoursList.htm

Sorry about the size of the link, Interweb is a bit beyond me sometimes.

Nice to see on the Link above that the PR people at the MOD have done their usual and matched the photo and caption well !! :ugh: