PDA

View Full Version : Smooth smooth Moscow Take-Off

Row 12F
14th Dec 2006, 20:21
I came back yesterday from Moscow to LHR on BA. Take-off seemed very different to me because it seemed to go on for minutes and minutes and then yet more minutes until I realised that we were either in the trees or up, since by then through the window I could see fast flashing cloud in the landing lights. There was no apparent lift-off, no rotation or any normal indication of having taken flight.

Since I am still alive and not being dug out of birch woods, I guess it was a slow safe uplift but I would love to know whether the quiet, slow-rise take-off is a feature of the new flat landscsape Moscow airport or was I just dozing?

Before I am told that the pilot knew what he was doing, (I am sure he did) please remember that this is not a criticism but an observation and a question.

CentreFix25
14th Dec 2006, 20:37
until I realised that we were either in the trees or upYou would have realised quite quickly if you were in the trees.

chiglet
14th Dec 2006, 21:02
Since you have twigged that you are out of the woods it could be intimated that you are barking up the wrong tree
Hat, coat......
watp,iktch

Rainboe
14th Dec 2006, 21:20
It must be a resurfaced runway! You want to take off from Leeds....that will rattle your fillings out of your cavities (if you pardon the expression), and the launch airborne off the 'ski-ramp' near the end of runway 14 makes your tongue get bitten off as your head hits your chest. Apart from that, you wouldn't know a thing (because you'll probably be unconscious).

Crepello
15th Dec 2006, 04:42
Hmm, maybe the plane was taking off from a conveyor-belt, which matched the speed of...... :oh: :E

As for rattled fillings at Leeds, that's a luxury compared to a certain oil-rich country in Africa. If you're not careful, you can dislocate your arms...

Apologies for in-joke - and thread creep.

wawkrk
15th Dec 2006, 14:04
Depends which runway at SVO.
I landed on Sunday and I swear the runway is cobbled!

The SSK
15th Dec 2006, 14:23
Are you sure it was BA? If it had been a Tupolev 154, they accelerate *very* slowly, and they don't climb off the runway, the curvature of the earth drops away beneath them.

Doors to Automatic
15th Dec 2006, 22:24
Likely you were on a 767 - 4 hours is nothing for this aircraft so I imagine reduced thrust was used. Combined with good weather, a possible re-surfaced runway and a lower flap setting (Not sure if BA use flap 1 on the 767?) would have given the impression of a smooth take-off.

Middle Seat
15th Dec 2006, 22:29
It was the plutonium.

flybywire
16th Dec 2006, 12:31
if the aircraft was a 767 then I can understand entirely. Moscow-London is only a short flight for such a big aircraft. It's a lovely feeling when the 767 is "light", it lifts off like when you blow on a feather.

However if you tried the same aircraft bound for a 10hrs+ flight you would probably feel that you're still stuck on the ground as you approach the end of the runway...I have seen a few people sweating on rotation...you just have to get used to it!! :E

flybywire
16th Dec 2006, 12:35
Depends which runway at SVO.
I landed on Sunday and I swear the runway is cobbled!

I think BA fly to DME though, not SVO.

belly5
17th Dec 2006, 09:17
BA flies out of DME, alsmost all international airlines left SVO.
Austrian is the next to move to DME in January

WHBM
17th Dec 2006, 09:40
Until it was resurfaced a few years ago, Yerevan's (EVN) runway was the worst I had experienced; above about 100 kts, it was impossible to read the instruments (& I'm not joking!).
It's a Russian thing.

St Petersburg, the south-side runway, is one great roller-coaster as well. BA skippers usually comment on it just before departure.

The north side runway is better, and significantly nearer the international terminal, but seems rarely used and indeed was OOU for about 2 years in recent times.

PAXboy
17th Dec 2006, 16:32
fbwIt's a lovely feeling when the 767 is "light", it lifts off like when you blow on a feather. I can understand that that may be pleasant on occasions, particularly for those like fbw who are subject to a great number of departures. But ... I like the sharp rotation!! I like to feel that clear pull up. I enjoy that sense of being transferred from a travelator to a lift in a half second.

For this, the 757 has to be tops in my experience. The rotation angle is greater than a 76 due to the smaller fuselage and that the 75 has longer legs, thus allowing the tail to dip further. I do not travel so much these days and on a recent trip to TXL, I deliberately chose the outbound flight to get a 752, rather than a 320 (which I had to come back on). The rotation out of LHR for the short hop was magnificent. :ok:

flybywire
17th Dec 2006, 18:43
Aaaahhhh the 757...:E I miss every bit or its take offs, including the green faces of passengers sitting opposite me at doors 3....I remember on my very last flight working on a 757 we had a special ATC permission to show off and do a proper full thrust take off...it was night and we were empty....such a feeling :O

TightSlot
17th Dec 2006, 19:25
Echo that - I love my 757!!!