PDA

View Full Version : Help save our Battle of Britain heritage

f4aviation
14th Dec 2006, 19:15
Northolt's hangar is under threat - find out more & sign a petition here (http://www.air-scene-uk.com/hangar/2006/413northolt/northolt.htm).

kevmusic
14th Dec 2006, 23:14
Thanks for the heads-up, F4. Duly signed.

Spurlash2
15th Dec 2006, 00:01
Done. Done. Done. To appease the short message god.

pubsman
15th Dec 2006, 09:40
Glad to sign f4. Maybe exposure in AH & N or JB would attract more interested parties?

buoy15
15th Dec 2006, 13:21
I was prepared to sign until I saw the Downing St web site

Provide Name, e-mail address, home address and post code

Surprised it didn't ask for DoB and bank details

Excellent! All tied in - saves Big Brother a lot of trouble!

"I'm watching you Fletcher" - "aaahr - Mr McKay"

Love many, Trust a few, Always paddle your own canoe!

f4aviation
17th Dec 2006, 10:30
Bump. More info added to the report.

Max Contingency
17th Dec 2006, 11:00
Standby for an opposing point of view!

I will not be signing.

There is only a finite amount of money available to the MOD and I for one would rather ensure that no soldier ever dies again because of a shortage of enhanced body armour (or any other piece of equipment) than spend the money on preserving an old hangar.

Having spent far too many nights in crappy old nissan huts, I always knew that if we didn't knock them down soon then one day someone would come along and make them listed buildings!

We already have the RAF museum. Move on.

Bah Humbug :hmm:

f4aviation
17th Dec 2006, 13:37
I'd agree that not everything can, or should, be saved. But there's no evidence that these buildings have to be demolished and an alternative arrangement cannot be designed within the limitations of the budget. If they were in poor condition and a danger, I'd agree they should go; but they're still fully utilised and in A1 condition.

Lancasterman
17th Dec 2006, 14:22
I could see if they needed lots of work like the hangars at Binbrook but come on! To demolish this fine building is pure asinine!:mad:

Max Contingency
17th Dec 2006, 14:45
I'm not an aircraft engineer but I have had the privilige of commanding and working with many of them. My experience of operating from 2nd World War hangars are that they are cold, poorly lit, inneficient buildings that are riddled with hazards (asbestos, heavy doors that stick etc). We can do a lot better for our people (and our pocket) than by preserving them.

Does nostalgia really overide the opportunity for a more comfortable and safer working environment?

Any engineers out there care to comment?

wheezykid
17th Dec 2006, 19:55
Talking of BoB heritage how come we're letting Bentley Priory go for a few million to a property developer who will probably turn the historic mess into a health spa!
Although I suppose we might get a chance of an en-suite room:E

Blacksheep
18th Dec 2006, 03:40
I had the dubious pleasure of working in all three hangars at Northolt from 1974 to 1977. I don't suppose they've changed much in the intervening thirty years.

311 Hangar was the newest of the three and the warmest, but the lighting was rubbish.

No. 2 Shed was a typical 1930's contraption; cold, draughty and the usual back breaking work to open and close the doors. Not to mention the pigeons getting in through the holes and crapping all over our nicely polished VIP transporters.

No. 1 shed was the oldest and best, which is why it was nabbed by the civilian contractors. It was still a heap of rubbish though.

I wouldn't be sorry to see them all go, there's plenty more old hangars about for preservation.

Except for just the one thing. Haven't the MOD got better things to spend their limited money on these days? I just read in a UK paper that Her Majesty has instructed her family - especially "Air Miles Andy" - to be 'green' and cut back on air travel. So, why is RAF Northolt getting all this demolition and rebuilding? Since 32 became "Royal" they've demolished and rebuilt the old Sergeants Mess, built a brand new Operations block and now they're building new hangars. There was a post about the demolition of the WW2 Sector Ops Room recently too. I reckon they can squeeze a few more years out of the old hangars yet.

rudekid
18th Dec 2006, 07:13
Blacksheep

Northolt is becoming a MOD London hub. BFPO moves there along with elements of Uxbridge and Bentley Priory. Plus a couple of units are expanding I believe.

Hence all the new building.

Anyone put any money on Northolt remaining open as an airfield once LHR has a new runway?

Rigga
18th Dec 2006, 12:27
Errmm...
That looks suspiciously like Tern Hill's two remaining Hangars - I'm not too sure of the Type but I am sure they are the same roof, doors etc. - also built between the Wars and even suffered air attacks losing one of the hangars, which became known as "The Sunshine Hangar" and scarring the adjacent hangar's doors.
I wouldn't know where to find out the details of Tern Hills Hangars. Can anyone out there help?
If confirmed this is not the type pictured - I will append my name to the Petition.

Rigga.

f4aviation
18th Dec 2006, 17:18
Tern Hill's hangars were all mid-1930s Type C, constructed about 1935 as part of the expansion of the air force pre-war. Northolt's Type A is of 1927-28 vintage, and there are very few left in good condition. North Weald used to have two, but one was burnt down in the early 90s and the other is used for warehousing. If a hangar at Northolt has to go, the Type C would be a better candidate. Apologies for sounding like an anorak, but I'm an engineer too...

I appreciate the comment about hangars being cold & draughty, but that's a function of being large areas with effing great doors. There's no reason the existing 1928 structure can't be improved on inside to give a better working environment.

Exrigger
18th Dec 2006, 17:34
Might seem slightly off topic, but the old hangars at St Athan kept having money spent on them due to the rails sinking and the concrete breaking up. What they did in the end was remove all the heavy steel plates from the inside of the doors, not sure if this has happened elsewhere. Certainly made the doors easier to open, and I suppose this saved money in the long term.

Rigga
19th Dec 2006, 11:12
Hi Exrigger,
I believe the twin-skinned doors were to protect from low-level Blasts and were often filled with sand to add to the protection factor.
Many were still filled until the removal of the inner skins - in some cases lifting up to 60 tons from the doors.

F4 - My name will go on the list today. - DONE!

Kitbag
19th Dec 2006, 12:03
I hate myself for putting such a paranoid sounding post up, but is it really sensible to be publicising in such detail the interiors of the buildings? For anyone interested, Mike Jenveys post has the link. Is this sort of information available for other units? :ooh:

Exrigger
19th Dec 2006, 19:53
Hi Rigga, thanks for the gen, I did not know about the sand. With all the holes in the doors I was on about I would assume any sand was gone long before I worked there. The civvie team that removed the sheets used welding torches to burn the nuts of the bolts, but left a lot of the bolt shanks in the door structure. They assumed that the rust would hold them, we had to wear hard hats everytime we opened the doors.

old-timer
19th Dec 2006, 21:43
duly signed - stop this stupidness, it's our heritage they are destroying !
(or trying to)

Blacksheep
19th Dec 2006, 23:50
Northolt is becoming a MOD London hub. Northolt has been a London or even UK MOD hub for decades. When I was there we still had the huge NATO force in Europe and the place handled scores of NATO flights every day. The South Side ramp was busier than many civil airports and our hangars were full of transports - four turboprop twins, eight twin jet bizjets, six VIP helos and a dozen twin piston comms aircraft. We worked 16 hour days, seven days a week in those cold draughty hangars, keeping the Cabinet Ministers and Their Airships mobile.

I appreciate the comment about hangars being cold & draughty, but that's a function of being large areas with effing great doors. At Big Airways over at Thief-Row airport, our big hangar could have swallowed most of RAF Northolt but it was warm and draught free, with sitting rooms and a restaurant that would put the NAAFI and RAF mess halls to shame. Just because its big, with big doors doesn't mean that the workers have to endure pre-war working conditions.

The Concorde maintenance docks were moved to West Pen and the Heathrow Wing Hangar was demolished without a second thought, as soon as the VC10 and B707 fleets were scrapped. The old Wing Hangar was just as much a part of UK heritage as the Northolt sheds, but its just another car park today.

However, as I already said, why spend money on rebuilding Northolt, when there are troops in the field crying out for decent weapons, ammunition and kit?