PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Tim Watson

hooligan88b
14th Dec 2006, 11:22
Just to say thanks, Tim, for the article in GASCO about the radio in the UK - my sides are still hurting!
I've been fortunate to fly elsewhere in the world, do some instructing here, and now regularly talk to Heathrow director and you couldn't be more spot-on about the anachronistic non-sense that's still taught - I've seen people here drop the aircraft to fly the radio - and I'm sure it's going to kill someone one day, if it hasn't already. I agree with you - let's hope the authorities realise the sense of your suggestion and stop all this CAP413, Carpacer, exams, and simplify it - who, where and what you want - and get on with aviating and navigating first.
Please please beg, steal or borrow a copy of the latest GASCO and read the article if you haven't already.
And if you get a chance listen in to your local airways en-route frequency - I don't hear many people on that being asked by ATC for point of departure or number on board - why the hell do ATC units at the mini-Heathrows around the country (you know who you are) think they should?

rustle
14th Dec 2006, 11:32
And if you get a chance listen in to your local airways en-route frequency - I don't hear many people on that being asked by ATC for point of departure or number on board - why the hell do ATC units at the mini-Heathrows around the country (you know who you are) think they should?

If you're in an airway (in the UK) you have filed a flight plan - even if it is an abbreviated one by RT.

If you've filed a flight plan you've already told someone (somewhere) how many people are aboard and where you're going to and came from.