PDA

View Full Version : Is this not property of the MOD?!

nick0021
14th Dec 2006, 10:14
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RAF-Flight-Helmet-MK-4B-4L-flying-helmet-navy-helmet_W0QQitemZ230062667776QQihZ013QQcategoryZ36076QQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem

strek
14th Dec 2006, 10:22
How would we [the MoD] know? Not trusted with Ebay. :)

Megaton
14th Dec 2006, 10:42
Had similar problem with aircraft spares a few years ago. Called Plods in and turns out, bits had been sold legally through Defence Disposals (or something like that) before ending up on ebay.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
14th Dec 2006, 11:14
It's a bit like http://www.fieldtextiles.co.uk/ ; except those boys don't do flying clothing and safety equipment. They are a "Partner" of the Disposal Services Agency (see http://www.ams.mod.uk/ams/content/topics/pages/2547.htm ) and they save the expense of setting up the old-time surplus stores auctions.

Bearing in mind that the MoD sells in bulk, much of it filters out to retail (and eBay) sales, with a suitable price mark up.

Regie Mental
14th Dec 2006, 11:40
The seller here is located in Hereford so I is saying nothin'.

bad livin'
14th Dec 2006, 12:04
Hmmm...my size.

Ideal for those patio flying carpet moments.

hobie
14th Dec 2006, 14:35
Bet you it will end up going to lots of S&M parties .... :cool:

not that I've ever been to one .... :p

Pontius Navigator
14th Dec 2006, 15:02
Brand new desert DPM, new pattern jackets, £29.99. He is an authorised agent.

We have actually bought back from this company against a Supply inability AND a £475 saving over the Supply price had they even been able to issue what we wanted. Now I wonder why there was an inability?

hobie
14th Dec 2006, 20:45
Winning Bid 156.00 ......

Wonder how much it cost the RAF originally ....

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
14th Dec 2006, 20:53
Stock owning IPTs are penalised for holding quantities of stores deemed to be excessive. It's a demanding tightrope walking act. As a consequence, stores get gashed and a surge in demands forces reprovision. That may well result in approaching the Residual Assets Manager (like Fields are) for asset recovery; at a price.

GreenKnight121
16th Dec 2006, 16:46
During my time as one of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children, we frequently made trips to the local DRDO (Defense Re-utilization and Disposal Office) warehouse "to see what we could see".

As Active and Reserve Military (and National Guard) units have priority over the sale of items, if we found anything we could use (and we regularly did), we placed a "hold" on it, went back and got our Div.Off.'s signature on a "Still required for Government Use" form, and the item was ours. Of course it had to immediately be added to our Squadron's equipment listing, but was where it was going anyway.

We regularly used this method to acquire items we needed, but for which the requisition had been denied, either on the grounds that "you don't really need that" or "you have exceeded your budget for this Fiscal Year".

And the Civilians thought the Military wasted their tax dollars... see... we saved money by taking items we had purchased, and rather than issue them directly where they were needed, transferred them from here to there, forced our personnel to use up their time to go look around to find them, and paid all the expenses to run this operation... just to "save tax dollars by selling excess items" (that we over-bought in the first place, and then refused to issue when a need for it did appear years later).

MajorMadMax
16th Dec 2006, 20:02
During my time as one of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children, we frequently made trips to the local DRDO (Defense Re-utilization and Disposal Office) warehouse "to see what we could see".

As Active and Reserve Military (and National Guard) units have priority over the sale of items, if we found anything we could use (and we regularly did), we placed a "hold" on it, went back and got our Div.Off.'s signature on a "Still required for Government Use" form, and the item was ours. Of course it had to immediately be added to our Squadron's equipment listing, but was where it was going anyway.

We regularly used this method to acquire items we needed, but for which the requisition had been denied, either on the grounds that "you don't really need that" or "you have exceeded your budget for this Fiscal Year".

And the Civilians thought the Military wasted their tax dollars... see... we saved money by taking items we had purchased, and rather than issue them directly where they were needed, transferred them from here to there, forced our personnel to use up their time to go look around to find them, and paid all the expenses to run this operation... just to "save tax dollars by selling excess items" (that we over-bought in the first place, and then refused to issue when a need for it did appear years later).

GreenKnight

I think you meant Defense Reutilization and Marketing Service (http://www.drms.dla.mil/)...

Originally established in 1972 to consolidate the different military services' disposal operations, the Defense Property Disposal Service (DPDS) was renamed the Defense Reutilization and Marketing Service (DRMS) in 1985. DRMS is part of the Defense Logistics Agency (DLA), based in Fort Belvoir, Va.

At the base level, it was always known as the Reutilization and Marketing Office (DRMO).

A great source of official US military surplus, especially for those of us still on active duty at the time...

Cheers! M2

GreenKnight121
17th Dec 2006, 21:05
OK, picky... since we just called it "The Disposal Office"!