PDA

View Full Version : Acronis Trueimage-USB problem.

Wefeedumall
14th Dec 2006, 09:55
Hi All
Hope someone may be able to help me as I have installed Acronis Trueimage 9 on my Windows ME computer and now when I plug a USB memory stick in, the computer won't recognise it and Explorer show's as "not responding" which means I then have to restart the computer.
If I leave the USB stick plugged in during the restart it will show up as drive "F" and all is fine. Have checked my USB controllers, in Device Manager, and they are all showing as OK except the "VIA PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller" which has a green "?" on it.
Anyone any idea's before I do a system restore to remove Acronis as I have been trying to get it to work for 2 days now?:confused: :ugh:

born2fly_au
16th Dec 2006, 18:51
Have you tried reinstalling the USB stick drivers? Is it a full or demo version of trueimage? I use it as well {Full Version} never had a problem on windows XP. also have you checked their website FAQ page? If all else fails you could try deleteing the hardware in device manage and rebooting sometimes that can kick-start it back to normal. It has worked for me on more than one occasion.
Allen

Wefeedumall
16th Dec 2006, 19:13
Thanks for the reply born2fly-au.
I have the full version and have now had to un-install it as all sorts of problems cropping up and I could not even do a system restore as somehow all my restore points including one I had set up just before installing Acronis had been wiped out!
Am still having problems with anything USB except my printer and system will only see USB keys/Hard drives if plugged in while computer off and then load on startup.
Also whenever I get the "new hardware found" the computer hangs whilst trying to load the required software.
Looks like maybe time to bite the bullet and upgrade to XP if I am going to have to do a complete re-install.
The only thing I am not sure of is is it safe to take my USB host controllers out in Device Manager and then re-install as you suggest, I have the drivers on my motherboard disc?
Many thanks for the help.
Dave.:hmm:

born2fly_au
16th Dec 2006, 19:24
When you reboot it does a search for new hardware. It will detect the missing device and reinstall it and hopefully correct the error that was there. It may ask for drivers but hopefully it will detect the drivers already installed and use them. Have your disks handy in case. I have never used Windows ME so i cannot comment but i would definitly concider upgrading to Windows XP. With Vista on the horizon there maybe a few copies left on the shelves going cheaper than normal. hope you fix your problem.

Another possibility is a virus or spyware has got into your system and creating havoc. Try running spybot and ad-aware to see if it picks up anything.
Best of Luck Allen