PDA

View Full Version : Multi-lingual Keyboard ?? Where

wigwag
13th Dec 2006, 20:41
Hello all,

Looking to buy a brand new laptop, I want Russian and English qwerty characters on the keyboard but with English Operating system. Laptop not desktop...... Any ideas of suppliers ? I dont want to buy stick on laybels either.

Tried mac but they where useless and dell said it isn’t that easy and maybe I would have to order it abroad. :confused:

All help appreciated and im not keen on having to go to Moscow to buy the damn thing and I dont want to buy a plug in external keypad....

ww
:cool:

AppleMacster
13th Dec 2006, 21:51
Wigwag,
I'm sorry you had a bad experience with the Mac. Did you get shown the floating keyboard viewer you can have on screen to locate characters in other languages?

You can get Russian-English keyboards for the Mac here. (http://www.webideas.bigstep.com/item.jhtml?UCIDs=121764%7C1206332&PRID=1290269)

Applemacster

wigwag
14th Dec 2006, 12:45
Thanks Applemacster,

Yes, Mac where kind to show me the floating screen but i would prefer to have the actual keys with the stickers on them without having to look at that all the time.

I'm using a desk top at the moment and using stick on labels for the keyboard and it's next to useless, always coming off, so hence, now Im looking into buying a new computer ( Laptop ) I really want to have a keyboard with both the english and russian characters. But getting it is a little tough.

But looks like ill have to do this the expensive and hard way, fly over there and see what i can get.....

Out of interest Applemacster, why do the new macs only have internet wireless connection in 802.11g and not 802.11b? and how do you find it for access around the world ?

cheers

WW

AppleMacster
14th Dec 2006, 13:30
Wigwag,

Looks like you'll have to go to Russia.

Macs have 802.11g because that is the latest and fastest (ratified) standard. It was designed to be backwardly-compatible with 802.11b and works fine worldwide on 802.11b basestations and routers. 802.11g public routers are setup to receive b & g traffic. I've never had any problem using a public wifi hotspot. Finding a free one (especially in the UK) is another matter, though..!

Applemacster

Saab Dastard
14th Dec 2006, 18:53
If you must have a laptop with dual Cyrillic / English keyboard, I suggest that you go to all the manfrs websites and see if they have a Russian-localized sub-site. Then browse for the model you want. I assume that you can read Russian!

You MIGHT be able to get the UK distributor to bring in a special, or you might try to get a mail-order from Russia. If you trust such an outfit!

Adding an external PS2 / USB keyboard with dual keys is going to be MUCH cheaper, although not very portable! These (http://www.customkeys.com/catalog_pages/FLK_RussianCyrillic.html) seem very reasonable.

SD